10-17-2020 08:50 PM
67 123
tools
    I saw a video on One UI 2.1 biometrics and security. It says right in there that every 72 hours you have to use your PIN or password with biometrics. So it knows I have used my fingerprint like 100 times over that period but just to be sure it is me, better put in your password.

BJB1
    Yeah mine seems to ask little more often then 72 hours
    03-26-2020 11:32 PM
    My s20 plus asks for pin every time I go to unlock the phone after just a few hours of non use. Very annoying.
    04-18-2020 02:06 PM
    My s20 plus asks for pin every time I go to unlock the phone after just a few hours of non use. Very annoying.
    It's part of face recognitionHow to stop random (NOT bootup) "For security purposes enter your password"?-screenshot_20200418-151607_settings.jpeg
    sulla1965 and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-18-2020 02:16 PM
    Signed in to comment as well. I use face and fingerprint unlock as well, and smart lock when at home or paired to car Bluetooth, and in the last couple years (galaxy s8 and s9) I would get prompted for password every couple days, which was usually fine. With oreo and the new s20, it seems much more often. A couple times a day. Occasionally in the morning, after being idle all night, the phone will unlock with fingerprint, then 2 minutes later, ask for a fingerprint. Definitely not consistent

Also checked in about biometrics, and the timers do mention that using face unlock will cause a the password to be required after 4 hours of being idle, or 24 hours of continual face unlock usage. It's that setting that might be causing the inconsistent unlock with password behavior.
    Attached Thumbnails How to stop random (NOT bootup) "For security purposes enter your password"?-screenshot_20200502-094118_settings.jpg  
    05-02-2020 07:46 AM
    And thinking about this again.... if I unlock with fingerprint at 8pm, then face unlock at midnight, the shortest biometric unlock finger is then the face unlock, which means the 4 hour idle finger after face unlock method kicks in, clearing the 'every 72 hour password when using fingerprint' timer.... OK I think I can experiment with that logic. Always unlock with fingerprint last at night.

Anyone else seem to think this logic sounds similar to their experience?
    05-02-2020 07:52 AM
    And thinking about this again.... if I unlock with fingerprint at 8pm, then face unlock at midnight, the shortest biometric unlock finger is then the face unlock, which means the 4 hour idle finger after face unlock method kicks in, clearing the 'every 72 hour password when using fingerprint' timer.... OK I think I can experiment with that logic. Always unlock with fingerprint last at night.

Anyone else seem to think this logic sounds similar to their experience?
    I see it as 4 hours once your phone goes idle regardless if which biometric you last used.
    05-02-2020 08:22 AM
    I think it woudl be nice if on the "password required" message, it said what triggered the requirement
    - face unlock idle timer reached, idle password required
    - face unlock 24h timer reached, password required
    - fingerprint unlock 72h timer reached, password required

maybe make it a debug/setting option in the biometrics to turn on 'advanced unlock feedback (on/off)". at least this way, then people would -know- why their phone has asked them for their password.

I will say i think i know why i'm getting password unlocks more often. With the S8 and S9, and the fingerprint reader on the back, I found them quite reliable, and in a convenient enough spot that i used them alot. With a good case, it really guided your finger to the spot with the reader. however now with the S20 in-screen fingerprint reader, i find it no where near as fast , and far less accurate, and really, more finicky. So, i added face unlock on this phone - it's more reliable than the same feature on S8s and S9s. I'd say due to the more frequent password required's to unlock, i'm far more often unlocking with face biometrics, then being idle for more than 4 hours.

thanks for all the discussion, folks, I think i get what's going on with the password requests. I'd agree, I'm not sure i like -how- android triggers these count timers, but at least we know. I'd love to be able to prioritize the timer and have the "last fingerprint timer" (72h) take priority over the face 24h & face+idle 4h time.
    @Mike Dee - are you using both fingerprint & face unlock on yours? I'm tempted to try and disable the face unlock, go fingerprint only (i'm sure i'll curse that after a few hours) and see if i get back to ~3day timer for password requests.

#edit 2 - i wonder if there's a debug lock in the backend somewhere that logs some of these password/idle/biometric/password required triggers? i supposed that'd be wishful thinking . being a security guy, I get the requirements around this, but I think as most people who like to have some security, but dont' have super-sensitive details on their device, they'd like a bit less ... strict enforcements

dwight
    J Dubbs likes this.
    05-02-2020 08:46 AM
    So the choice is no security at all or security so annoying that you'll choose no security at all
    J Dubbs likes this.
    07-19-2020 08:55 PM
    So the choice is no security at all or security so annoying that you'll choose no security at all
    Hi, what you find annoying about the security offerings?
    07-19-2020 09:23 PM
    Hi, what you find annoying about the security offerings?
    I'm guessing you haven't read through this thread. Forcing me to enter my PIN every x hours when I have specifically chosen another security method is annoying.
    07-20-2020 05:00 PM
    I'm guessing you haven't read through this thread. Forcing me to enter my PIN every x hours when I have specifically chosen another security method is annoying.
    since this is only your second post, you really need to be specific otherwise how would we know the previous postings pertains to you. I know I don't have esp, I don't know about the others.
    07-20-2020 05:41 PM
    You guess wrong, I read through and answered here if you go couple clicks above yours , im just curious what exactly was your issue with security , like pain to have to use fingerprint , or password but thank you for answer now i know its because every few hours it ask for verification, its a pain , but I rather have that security then none.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-20-2020 06:23 PM
    You guess wrong, I read through and answered here if you go couple clicks above yours , im just curious what exactly was your issue with security , like pain to have to use fingerprint , or password but thank you for answer now i know its because every few hours it ask for verification, its a pain , but I rather have that security then none.
    My complaint is that it should be a CHOICE, not forced.
    07-20-2020 07:39 PM
    My complaint is that it should be a CHOICE, not forced.
    I'm with you and agree 100 percent
    07-20-2020 07:40 PM
    I guess I'm the only one that came to this thread hoping to find a way to increase the frequency of the "require password" feature when using biometrics. Mostly because I don't like that I can be compelled without warrant to unlock my phone via biometrics. I like the convenience of biometrics, but prefer to enforce my privacy.
    10-17-2020 07:59 AM
    I guess I'm the only one that came to this thread hoping to find a way to increase the frequency of the "require password" feature when using biometrics. Mostly because I don't like that I can be compelled without warrant to unlock my phone via biometrics. I like the convenience of biometrics, but prefer to enforce my privacy.
    In that situation, you'd probably just need to stick with PIN/password instead of any biometrics. Even if you could increase the frequency to require the password, you'd never be able to predict if/when law enforcement would want you to unlock your phone.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-17-2020 08:46 PM
    With biometric can't adjust it , pin or password won't have it happen at all .
    10-17-2020 08:50 PM
67 123