How to stop random (NOT bootup) "For security purposes enter your password"?

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
re: How to stop random (NOT bootup) "for security purposes enter your password"

I find this most annoying (and dangerous) when I am driving.

I need to unlock the phone, and instead of reaching around the back, finding the sensor by touch, and touching it, they want me to TAKE MY EYES OFF THE ROAD so I can enter a pin???

That's not just annoying, it's incredibly unsafe.

It seems no one has found a workaround.

My only option seems to be to keep the phone plugged in and use the (developer) setting to keep the phone unlocked when plugged in

What's dangerous is you using your phone while driving.

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

What's dangerous is you using your phone while driving.

I am fairly certsin there are some people that are not lucky enough to have GPS built into their cars or rent cars that do not have GPS and have to use their phone GPS. As OP I respectively ask to not derail the valid point of this thread that remains unresolved.

BJB1

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

A reminder that INSULTS AND RUDENESS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. This thread has been edited. Please keep this discussion civil, and abide by Bill & Ted's philosophy of being excellent to each other.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

While I agree that it's dangerous to be doing anything on a smartphone while driving and not on Android Auto, I understand BJB1's overall concern with having to enter the backup PIN/password at inopportune times (not just while driving), so let's all focus on that question, thanks.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

This is a andriod security feature , it depends how long you device been sleep and certain instances it will occasionally ask for pin/password no way around that , even if you enable Google smart lock after certain inactivity it will request enter the pin or password .

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

This is a andriod security feature , it depends how long you device been sleep and certain instances it will occasionally ask for pin/password no way around that , even if you enable Google smart lock after certain inactivity it will request enter the pin or password .

Hi Mustang7757,
You are 100% correct. Some of us just wish some user flexibility was allowed.....so a modification to this android feature. Those using fingerprints are already more secure than other users, but we get this feature.
BJB1

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Hi Mustang7757,
You are 100% correct. Some of us just wish some user flexibility was allowed.....so a modification to this android feature. Those using fingerprints are already more secure than other users, but we get this feature.
BJB1
I like to see them give flexibility to this , put option if you want it to happen or not , make it default on for the phone then user can disable if they choose .

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

While driving, is the solution to use Android Auto?

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
re: How to stop random (NOT bootup) "For security purposes enter your password"?

Not entirely the same issue but maybe related. I have smartlock turned on for my watch on my Note10+. Even though the watch shows connected I get a fingerprint unlock request about 30% of the time. Like what I am talking about above this more overzealous android security or is there a setting? I find the fingerprint recognition on the note10 worse since the fix for the silicone screen protector snafusonthis also is very annoying requiring a password when fingerprint fails..
BJB1

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
re: How to stop random (NOT bootup) "For security purposes enter your password"?

I saw a video on One UI 2.1 biometrics and security. It says right in there that every 72 hours you have to use your PIN or password with biometrics. So it knows I have used my fingerprint like 100 times over that period but just to be sure it is me, better put in your password.

BJB1

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

I saw a video on One UI 2.1 biometrics and security. It says right in there that every 72 hours you have to use your PIN or password with biometrics. So it knows I have used my fingerprint like 100 times over that period but just to be sure it is me, better put in your password.

BJB1
Yeah mine seems to ask little more often then 72 hours

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site

My s20 plus asks for pin every time I go to unlock the phone after just a few hours of non use. Very annoying.

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site

Signed in to comment as well. I use face and fingerprint unlock as well, and smart lock when at home or paired to car Bluetooth, and in the last couple years (galaxy s8 and s9) I would get prompted for password every couple days, which was usually fine. With oreo and the new s20, it seems much more often. A couple times a day. Occasionally in the morning, after being idle all night, the phone will unlock with fingerprint, then 2 minutes later, ask for a fingerprint. Definitely not consistent

Also checked in about biometrics, and the timers do mention that using face unlock will cause a the password to be required after 4 hours of being idle, or 24 hours of continual face unlock usage. It's that setting that might be causing the inconsistent unlock with password behavior.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200502-094118_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20200502-094118_Settings.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Jun 12, 2013
Visit site

And thinking about this again.... if I unlock with fingerprint at 8pm, then face unlock at midnight, the shortest biometric unlock finger is then the face unlock, which means the 4 hour idle finger after face unlock method kicks in, clearing the 'every 72 hour password when using fingerprint' timer.... OK I think I can experiment with that logic. Always unlock with fingerprint last at night.

Anyone else seem to think this logic sounds similar to their experience?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

And thinking about this again.... if I unlock with fingerprint at 8pm, then face unlock at midnight, the shortest biometric unlock finger is then the face unlock, which means the 4 hour idle finger after face unlock method kicks in, clearing the 'every 72 hour password when using fingerprint' timer.... OK I think I can experiment with that logic. Always unlock with fingerprint last at night.

Anyone else seem to think this logic sounds similar to their experience?

I see it as 4 hours once your phone goes idle regardless if which biometric you last used.

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site

I think it woudl be nice if on the "password required" message, it said what triggered the requirement
- face unlock idle timer reached, idle password required
- face unlock 24h timer reached, password required
- fingerprint unlock 72h timer reached, password required

maybe make it a debug/setting option in the biometrics to turn on 'advanced unlock feedback (on/off)". at least this way, then people would -know- why their phone has asked them for their password.

I will say i think i know why i'm getting password unlocks more often. With the S8 and S9, and the fingerprint reader on the back, I found them quite reliable, and in a convenient enough spot that i used them alot. With a good case, it really guided your finger to the spot with the reader. however now with the S20 in-screen fingerprint reader, i find it no where near as fast , and far less accurate, and really, more finicky. So, i added face unlock on this phone - it's more reliable than the same feature on S8s and S9s. I'd say due to the more frequent password required's to unlock, i'm far more often unlocking with face biometrics, then being idle for more than 4 hours.

thanks for all the discussion, folks, I think i get what's going on with the password requests. I'd agree, I'm not sure i like -how- android triggers these count timers, but at least we know. I'd love to be able to prioritize the timer and have the "last fingerprint timer" (72h) take priority over the face 24h & face+idle 4h time.
@Mike Dee - are you using both fingerprint & face unlock on yours? I'm tempted to try and disable the face unlock, go fingerprint only (i'm sure i'll curse that after a few hours) and see if i get back to ~3day timer for password requests.

#edit 2 - i wonder if there's a debug lock in the backend somewhere that logs some of these password/idle/biometric/password required triggers? i supposed that'd be wishful thinking :). being a security guy, I get the requirements around this, but I think as most people who like to have some security, but dont' have super-sensitive details on their device, they'd like a bit less ... strict enforcements :)

dwight

phorce1

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site

So the choice is no security at all or security so annoying that you'll choose no security at all

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

So the choice is no security at all or security so annoying that you'll choose no security at all
Hi, what you find annoying about the security offerings?

phorce1

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site

Hi, what you find annoying about the security offerings?

I'm guessing you haven't read through this thread. Forcing me to enter my PIN every x hours when I have specifically chosen another security method is annoying.