How to stop random (NOT bootup) "For security purposes enter your password"?

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I have seen posts and arguments about why this isn't a good idea but not a fix.

My Note 8 has been doing this at the most innoportune times.

And I use fingerprint unlock....I am okay with putting it in at reboot. But if I use fingerprint unlock, and someone steals my fingerprint (yeah I know it's possible but not in my top 10 worries), in 2 weeks or so they will lose access to my phone. So they could have pulled any data they want anyway. I don't see the huge value and willing to just go back to fingerprint access and password at reboot only.

Can this be done without rooting?
BJB1

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
re: How to stop random (NOT bootup) "for security purposes enter your password"

The "randomness" you see is, I think, not so random. There are two timeouts in the phone, the screen timeout and the lockscreen timeout. If the screen locks, you only need the fingerprint to turn the screen on. But if the lockscreen times out you have to enter your PIN/password. If you're not familiar with both of them it could seem like a random "enter your password" thing, but I think it's just that the lockscreen has timed out. Check both timings to be sure. (And if you set the lockscreen so it turns on when you press the power button, you can keep the lockscreen timeout set at, say, 10 minutes, but have the phone locked immediately when you're pout and about. (Using Proximity Service makes it easy to turn the screen off without turning the lockscreen on. Just put the phone down face down [or put it into a holster face-in if you use one] and the screen is off but the lockscreen timer stops running [Proximity Service counts as user activity].) No rooting required.

Last edited:

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

Rukbat,

Thanks for all that! I took phone out to look at time on AOD but did not unlock. Next time I turned it on it asked for password so I think you are right on the cause.

Pretty experienced android user but don't think that setting is on my Note 8 under Android.

This thread seems to discuss too:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s6/521399-lock-screen-timeout-too-short-how-can-i-lengthen.html

Any thoughts? So they actually took that setting away in Oreo? This NEVER happened under Nougat.

Thanks,
BJB1

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

It happens to me too. I have the same settings I've always had.
Some mornings I wake up, use the fingerprint and it let's me in. Other mornings and sometimes randomly throughout the day it asks for my PIN.

jsigmo

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site

What security update versions are you folks running? I have Oreo, but have not experienced this. Mine only asks for me to enter my PIN if I reboot or do a complete power down.

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

I had this ever since the Nougat update.

Running security MDF v3.1 Rel2
Android security patch March 1,2018
On Oreo, Note 8

BJB1

jsigmo

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site

Oreo, and March security patch here, too. Mine only asks me to unlock it with the pattern when I do a reset or compete power down. But, I do use the unlock pattern fairly often simply because I don't have to reach around to the back of the phone, so it's more convenient.

I wonder if, because I do this fairly often, it satisfies some need for the phone to see that every so often to keep it happy. Maybe I should refrain from using anything but the fingerprint reader and see if it demands the pattern after a while.

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

Oreo, and March security patch here, too. Mine only asks me to unlock it with the pattern when I do a reset or compete power down. But, I do use the unlock pattern fairly often simply because I don't have to reach around to the back of the phone, so it's more convenient.

I wonder if, because I do this fairly often, it satisfies some need for the phone to see that every so often to keep it happy. Maybe I should refrain from using anything but the fingerprint reader and see if it demands the pattern after a while.

Hmmm.... I don't have a pattern setup, just the fingerprint which I use exclusively and a password, which I use when it randomly forces me to. So not sure how the pattern figures into this.

I chuckled at the "keep the phone happy" comment. Seems like we spend some of our time doing that than the other way around these days! :)
BJB1

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

The pattern is actually the PIN - if you notice where the pattern is, relative to a touchtone pad, you'll see that you're swiping a PIN on a touchtone pad (including * and #).

If that's actually what's happening, some random timer might be getting reset every time you use whatever backup unlock you have, pattern, PIN or password. So if you regularly use it, you'll never be asked to use it, whichever one it is - it wouldn't have anything to do with which one you use. (And it could also be Samsung-specific. I've never been asked to unlock the phone on a Pixel 2, except the first thing in the morning. But I use it more often than the 10 minute lockscreen timeout. If I let it lock [I did the first time we started seeing these reports], it asks for my PIN.)

jsigmo

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site

The pattern is actually the PIN - if you notice where the pattern is, relative to a touchtone pad, you'll see that you're swiping a PIN on a touchtone pad (including * and #).

If that's actually what's happening, some random timer might be getting reset every time you use whatever backup unlock you have, pattern, PIN or password. So if you regularly use it, you'll never be asked to use it, whichever one it is - it wouldn't have anything to do with which one you use. (And it could also be Samsung-specific. I've never been asked to unlock the phone on a Pixel 2, except the first thing in the morning. But I use it more often than the 10 minute lockscreen timeout. If I let it lock [I did the first time we started seeing these reports], it asks for my PIN.)

That's exactly what I was suggesting.

The fact that I often use my pattern, simply because using the fingerprint reader is somewhat clumsy, needing to hold the phone a specific way and reach the back of it, may well be periodically resetting a hidden security timeout.

And thus, my phone never asks for the pin/pattern except when it comes out of a full power down.

Mine never asks for the pin/pattern after the security lock timeout of 10 minutes. It could have been sitting all night, and when I first use it in the morning, it will unlock with only the fingerprint reader.

But again, because I do use the (pattern in my case), fairly often, perhaps the security system is "satisfied" (its timer has been reset recently enough).

But it sounds like some people are having to enter their pin/pattern more frequently. I will try to force myself to avoid using the pattern and see if my phone then insists on seeing it at some point. It will be hard, though. The pattern is easier to use than the fingerprint reader most of the time. So force of habit will make it hard for me to remember to only use the fingerprint reader. This may take me a while! :)

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

This is becoming more frequent and extremely annoying. I have had it happen in the rain getting ready to call for a ride, in the car whe in GPS mode, all kinds of innoportune times.

My situation is simple. I use my fingerprint on my Note 8. No pattern, nothing else. And this is NOT after bad fingerprint reads. I have had it at screen turn on.

Makea me want to turn off global phone security. This is ridiculous we cannot adjust this. I am not hip to the inner workings of android OS input and changes, but hopefully this is "on the list". Or perhaps it is Samsung driven.

However it feels like something someone things is just "good for us". After spending $1K on a phone maybe we can be given some control?

BJB1

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

That's exactly what I was suggesting.

The fact that I often use my pattern, simply because using the fingerprint reader is somewhat clumsy, needing to hold the phone a specific way and reach the back of it, may well be periodically resetting a hidden security timeout.

And thus, my phone never asks for the pin/pattern except when it comes out of a full power down.

Mine never asks for the pin/pattern after the security lock timeout of 10 minutes. It could have been sitting all night, and when I first use it in the morning, it will unlock with only the fingerprint reader.

But again, because I do use the (pattern in my case), fairly often, perhaps the security system is "satisfied" (its timer has been reset recently enough).

But it sounds like some people are having to enter their pin/pattern more frequently. I will try to force myself to avoid using the pattern and see if my phone then insists on seeing it at some point. It will be hard, though. The pattern is easier to use than the fingerprint reader most of the time. So force of habit will make it hard for me to remember to only use the fingerprint reader. This may take me a while! :)

Jsigmo,
How is this working for you? Has it stopped the forced password?
BJB1

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

If I understand this correctly, you guys are talking about when you go to your phone to unlock, that instead of allowing finger print unlock it goes to asking PIN right and thinking it’s a safety feature?

When that happens you should go to settings > about phone > uptime...

It sounds like your phone is doing random reboots when phone is locked and when it does the first login is always by PIN. If that’s the case uptime has been reset and the issue is software causing the reboots.

When I first got the phone there were at times I'd go to the phone to access and it would ask for pin instead of fingerprint so I know that means the phone had rebooted itself. Took me a couple of months but I had finally got the phone sorted out and been close to flawless ever since.

Last edited:

BJB1

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site

If I understand this correctly, you guys are talking about when you go to your phone to unlock, that instead of allowing finger print unlock it goes to asking PIN right and thinking it’s a safety feature?

When that happens you should go to settings > about phone > uptime...

It sounds like your phone is doing random reboots when phone is locked and when it does the first login is always by PIN. If that’s the case uptime has been reset and the issue is software causing the reboots.

When I first got the phone there were at times I'd go to the phone to access and it would ask for pin instead of fingerprint so I know that means the phone had rebooted itself. Took me a couple of months but I had finally got the phone sorted out and been close to flawless ever since.

No, that is a different message. The message after a reboot is very clear. This message is different and is not after a reboot. I known100% when a reboot happens now as I get the "hey turn on wifi calling notification". I then force stop and clear cache and it goes away. That message will not return unless there is a reboot. I have not had any random reboots.

I know another very tech savvy Note 8 Verizon owner whose phone also started doing this in the last few months.

I am fine with the reboot request for password. I and not fine with the random request.

Thanks,
BJB1

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Mine has been doing this for a while now. It's getting more annoying. Especially since I have to go from the back fingerprint scanner to the front screen to enter my password. I read this thread hoping someone had the answer.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

@BJB1 and @debdroid1a... I guess I’m not sure I’m understanding exactly how this issue occurs for you and it not being caused from a reboot so if I get the chance I’ll try rereading the thread to understand the conditions that it’s happening.

But next time it happens, even if it’s not the same message you get when a phone reboots, if you could just humor me and check the uptime just to make sure it’s not a reboot and hasn’t been reset.

I guess I’m reading pool_sharks comments and his issue sounds like his phones rebooting and can’t get the idea out of my head.

whgrell

Aug 27, 2018
Visit site

Trying to find a pattern here. Does anybody else use a Samsung smart watch? I get the same error message and it is irritating. I wondered if it is somehow related to the smartwatch. I use the function of automatically unlocking the phone if the smartwatch is present. So sometimes I don't have to unlcok my phone, sometimes just fingerprint, and other times full password. And usually when it is password it is the hope most inappropriate time.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Trying to find a pattern here. Does anybody else use a Samsung smart watch? I get the same error message and it is irritating. I wondered if it is somehow related to the smartwatch. I use the function of automatically unlocking the phone if the smartwatch is present. So sometimes I don't have to unlcok my phone, sometimes just fingerprint, and other times full password. And usually when it is password it is the hope most inappropriate time.

I have a Samsung Gear S3 Classic. My watch is not password protected. It was on Samsung pay, but that kept going away on the watch and I'd have to reset it, so I haven't had it on for a few months.