I have noticed that occasionally my T-Mobile Note 8 running Oreo will start experiencing slow data speeds, usually around 1Mbps download. Rebooting or resetting network settings fixes it till the next time.

Has anyone experienced this and came up with a fix other then restarting or resetting the network settings?

For now, I'v put the sim into a S7 Edge to see if the problem occurs with it. If so, it might be a sim problem.
    05-07-2018 09:23 AM
    If you check this was part of the issue with 8.0 to begin with. 8.1 does not have this issue. So why did we get 8.0 and not 8.1?
    05-07-2018 09:44 AM
    If you check this was part of the issue with 8.0 to begin with. 8.1 does not have this issue. So why did we get 8.0 and not 8.1?
    Maybe T-Mobile will come out with a fix then. For now, I have no use for the Note 8 with this problem. I'll either continue using a S7 Edge or put the sim into one of my iPhones.
    05-07-2018 09:47 AM
    I agree it is a pain. Have to restart every few days for mine to work right.
    05-07-2018 09:49 AM
    With how long 8.0 is taking to fix / come out for the T-Mobile variant due to that bug.. I would be surprised if 8.1 was close at all.
    05-07-2018 11:32 AM
    And I've seen T-Mobile announce an update only to pull it right before the announced release time twice already. Maybe they really pound on it before they release it, and keep going right up to the release. And would rather not release something with even a minor bug. (But missed one in 8.0 for the Note 8.)
    05-07-2018 12:52 PM
    With how long 8.0 is taking to fix / come out for the T-Mobile variant due to that bug.. I would be surprised if 8.1 was close at all.
    I doubt that we'll ever see 8.1. There never was a .1 for the Note 4 , Note 5, S7/Edge, Note 7 so I think that will continue for the Note 8.
    Almeuit likes this.
    05-07-2018 06:22 PM
    Sadly, the April 1 T-Mobile update does not fix this issue. I put my T-Mobile sim in the phone an hour ago and it's already running at below 1Mbps download speeds.

The phone is still useless to me.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-14-2018 03:30 AM
    Sadly, the April 1 T-Mobile update does not fix this issue. I put my T-Mobile sim in the phone an hour ago and it's already running at below 1Mbps download speeds.

The phone is still useless to me.
    Sorry to hear that. I'm not sure how widespread the problem is, though. I myself haven't encountered it on either the April 1 update (CRC2 Oreo 8.0) or the May 13 update (CRD7 Oreo 8.0).

If the problem only afflicts a small fraction of users, has anyone figured out what distinguishes them?
    05-14-2018 08:53 AM
    Sorry to hear that. I'm not sure how widespread the problem is, though. I myself haven't encountered it on either the April 1 update (CRC2 Oreo 8.0) or the May 13 update (CRD7 Oreo 8.0).

If the problem only afflicts a small fraction of users, has anyone figured out what distinguishes them?
    The very strange thing is, is I had a factory unlocked S8+ that started having the problem where my data connection would just quit and either rebooting the phone or resetting the network settings would fix the problem for a few days and then it would happen all over again. I ended up selling the phone back in February while I could still get a good amount of money for it. OF course I never got to update it to Oreo but the problems could be related.
    05-14-2018 09:01 AM
    OF course I never got to update it to Oreo but the problems could be related.
    Yes, that does sound suspicious. Have you encountered the problem at multiple geographic locations? If not, could it be specific to a certain set of cell towers?
    05-14-2018 09:12 AM
    Yes, that does sound suspicious. Have you encountered the problem at multiple geographic locations? If not, could it be specific to a certain set of cell towers?
    I haven't noticed anything specific. It's happened plenty of times while at home and while at work or other places.

I think I''m going to make a backup of my Note 8 later today and then try a factory reset and see if that solves the problem.
    05-14-2018 09:16 AM
    I think I''m going to make a backup of my Note 8 later today and then try a factory reset and see if that solves the problem.
    Could be a rogue app. If you do a reset, maybe start out with just a small number of apps, all widely used, and see if you still have the problem.
    05-14-2018 09:25 AM
    Could be a rogue app. If you do a reset, maybe start out with just a small number of apps, all widely used, and see if you still have the problem.
    I'll start out this way, thanks.
    05-14-2018 10:53 AM
    Good luck. I'd also suggest, at least while you debug this, avoiding any package disablers, or other third-party optimizers, or manually disabling anything, or even using power-saving settings.
    05-14-2018 11:10 AM
    Good luck. I'd also suggest, at least while you debug this, avoiding any package disablers, or other third-party optimizers, or manually disabling anything, or even using power-saving settings.
    I've been using Adguard Pro and I also had this running on the S8+. I think I may try using my Note 8 today first and see if the data works normally with Adguard disabled. I don't have any package disablers installed because a few months back, I thought I had sold my Note 8 so I restored the phone to factory. The sale didn't go through and so when I restored my phone, my package disabler no longer would activate.
    05-14-2018 11:14 AM
    Just to be safe, I'd avoid even having those apps installed at first, even if they're disabled or deactivated (after the factory reset).
    05-14-2018 11:28 AM
    Adguard is my problem. I turn it off, fast data speeds. Turn Adguard on, slow data speeds. I have no idea how get this working so I can use this app.
    05-17-2018 01:51 PM
    Adguard is my problem. I turn it off, fast data speeds. Turn Adguard on, slow data speeds. I have no idea how get this working so I can use this app.
    Adguard acts as a VPN right? IIRC T-Mobile at one point (still not sure if it is an issue) where T-Mobile was counting VPNs as Hotspot. Have you used any hotspot this cycle or no?
    05-17-2018 01:59 PM
    I have not used any hotspot at all.

This is pretty much just an Oreo problem because I have three S7 Edge phones on Nougat that are using Adguard with no slowdowns.
    05-17-2018 02:03 PM
    I came across this thread while searching Google. Someone with an S9 has the same exact problem so Adguard is aware but doesn't know a fix or cause yet.

https://github.com/AdguardTeam/Adgua...id/issues/1804
    05-17-2018 02:14 PM
    If anyone else is having this same problem, turn off Adguard for now and install an app called Adclear. It works just as good as Adguard but there is no slow down like what's happening with Adguard right now. At least the developers know that since Adclear is working, it's possible they can fix Adguard to do the same.
    05-19-2018 03:57 AM
    I forget if you were the one that originally recommended AdGuard but lucky for me it's been working great. But doesn't mean that it can't crash on me someday from some update on AT&T so glad to know they are willing to work on issues ASAP.

I'll keep in mind the other app you recommended in case anything does happen in future.

From the forum link you gave it seems like it's specific to T-Mobile and Sprint?
    If anyone else is having this same problem, turn off Adguard for now and install an app called Adclear. It works just as good as Adguard but there is no slow down like what's happening with Adguard right now. At least the developers know that since Adclear is working, it's possible they can fix Adguard to do the same.
    05-20-2018 08:23 PM
    I forget if you were the one that originally recommended AdGuard but lucky for me it's been working great. But doesn't mean that it can't crash on me someday from some update on AT&T so glad to know they are willing to work on issues ASAP.

I'll keep in mind the other app you recommended in case anything does happen in future.

From the forum link you gave it seems like it's specific to T-Mobile and Sprint?
    Yes, I think I recommended Adguard. The slowdown is related to only T-Mobile and Sprint.

Like Adguard, you have to side load Advlear since these types of apps aren't allowed in the play store. It works exactly like Adguard but can also install a certificate to block ads that Adguard doesn't catch.

I will go back to Adguard once this issue is fixed.
    05-21-2018 01:35 AM