When I was on Verizon I could send mms over wifi, with tmobile I cannot. Is that normal? I live in a very rural area and depend on wifi for coverage at home. Also the RCS features to show when someone is typing etc..have never worked on tmobile even though they tout the features
    05-15-2018 01:34 PM
    T-Mobile has started implementing RCS - but the spec isn't even finalized yet, so they can't implement all the features. (You can't implement "seeing if someone is typing" if there's no spec for how to do it yet.)

This is like 2004 with MMS - it worked - but you couldn't send a picture from one carrier to another. (And I lost a lot of customers because of that - gained a few too.) We'll have it all, and probably some things not mentioned yet - but maybe in a year or two. (And yes, it's still normal for different carriers to implement MMS differently - which is one of the things driving RCS - one standard for all, written for cellphones, not for pocket pagers with something tacked on as an afterthought, like SMS and MMS.)

If each carrier implemented RCS the way they wanted, we'd be in the same place in 10 years - Google is trying to keep that from happening. We could have fragmented standards now - or a real working standard for the next 20 years or so. I'm old, but I'm willing to wait for it to be done the right way.
    05-15-2018 02:22 PM
    T-Mobile has started implementing RCS - but the spec isn't even finalized yet, so they can't implement all the features. (You can't implement "seeing if someone is typing" if there's no spec for how to do it yet.)

This is like 2004 with MMS - it worked - but you couldn't send a picture from one carrier to another. (And I lost a lot of customers because of that - gained a few too.) We'll have it all, and probably some things not mentioned yet - but maybe in a year or two. (And yes, it's still normal for different carriers to implement MMS differently - which is one of the things driving RCS - one standard for all, written for cellphones, not for pocket pagers with something tacked on as an afterthought, like SMS and MMS.)

If each carrier implemented RCS the way they wanted, we'd be in the same place in 10 years - Google is trying to keep that from happening. We could have fragmented standards now - or a real working standard for the next 20 years or so. I'm old, but I'm willing to wait for it to be done the right way.
    Thank you for the response, But TMobile specifically touts it's "chat" features between 2 phones that are BOTH on TMobile, and typing notifications when you are on the same carrier are DEFINITELY possible, yet it does not work at all. And MMS over WiFi should be a no brainier in 2018. I can't receive group messages or photos at all when there is no LTE.
    05-15-2018 04:07 PM

The options are there, they just don't work.
    Attached Thumbnails Tmobile- Why no mms over wifi?-4469.jpg  
    05-15-2018 04:10 PM
    I recently got an update to include mms on T-Mobile. In your messages app, select 3 dots and you find see the option configuration messages. Clicking on it should configure mms.
    Attached Thumbnails Tmobile- Why no mms over wifi?-7550.jpg  
    05-15-2018 06:13 PM
    I recently got an update to include mms on T-Mobile. In your messages app, select 3 dots and you find see the option configuration messages. Clicking on it should configure mms.
    Strange, my options are different than yours
    Attached Thumbnails Tmobile- Why no mms over wifi?-4471.jpg  
    05-15-2018 07:32 PM

As far as I know, Verizon Messages+ uses RCS. Of course it doesn't use the Chat Profile that Google is getting other carriers to align on.
    05-15-2018 10:48 PM
    While this may be true... It still doesn't count for the OP and his issue. T-Mobile allows MMS via WiFi. I text 2.5k+ a month and when on T-Mobile I could text anyone MMS over WiFi.

05-16-2018 12:27 AM
    Within the app ensure to tone down message size. Maybe it's having a fit over that.
    Thank you for the response, But TMobile specifically touts it's "chat" features between 2 phones that are BOTH on TMobile, and typing notifications when you are on the same carrier are DEFINITELY possible, yet it does not work at all. And MMS over WiFi should be a no brainier in 2018. I can't receive group messages or photos at all when there is no LTE.
    05-16-2018 12:28 AM
    Within the app ensure to tone down message size. Maybe it's having a fit over that.
    Thanks, I'll try that
    05-16-2018 05:37 AM
    Ryano89,
    Not sure if it's an issue I've had for months that is affecting you, but one symptom of that is the inability to send MMSs from Home wifi.

I worked around it in my messaging app Textra (it's awesome, if you are not already using it) and choosing "Legacy" under MMS Behavior in Settings. Doing so avoids any issues with MMS send/receive, including attaching large image files to a text.

Again, not sure if this is relevant to your issue, but my issue is similar, and this works.
    Ryano89 likes this.
    05-16-2018 07:17 AM
    This issue is exactly why I left TMUS for VZW when we moved to the farm full time where there is little to no TMUS signal. It was painful to give up the perks that come with a multi-line, biz/personal, decades long accounts and all of its associated perks but when you can't MMS over WiFi it became an untenable situation. What I was told (not sure if it is true) is that on TMUS your phone needs to be able to ping the network in order to successfully send MMS.
    Ryano89 likes this.
    05-16-2018 07:55 AM
    Ryano89,
    Not sure if it's an issue I've had for months that is affecting you, but one symptom of that is the inability to send MMSs from Home wifi.

I worked around it in my messaging app Textra (it's awesome, if you are not already using it) and choosing "Legacy" under MMS Behavior in Settings. Doing so avoids any issues with MMS send/receive, including attaching large image files to a text.

Again, not sure if this is relevant to your issue, but my issue is similar, and this works.
    I used Textra on Verizon also (great app). But according to TMobile support, their network does not support MMS over WiFi. Does that sound right?
    Centerman66 likes this.
    05-16-2018 12:46 PM
    I have the same issue and from all my research, TMobile can't MMS on wifi.

Textra has a specific option in setting for a "TMobile fix" that will turn off your wifi, send the MMS, and then turn wifi back on. This is fine if you have a strong signal for both but is no help if you're on wifi only.
    Ryano89 likes this.
    05-16-2018 01:58 PM