I bought my Note 8 brand new less than three weeks ago and I am noticing a fault with the home button. I don't use the always on display so when I go to use my device the screen is 100% off. I force press the virtual home button and the phone jumps to life....although in a faulty kind of way. The haptic feedback is random and the force required to press the button is random. Sometimes the screen turns on and there is a lag until the vibration feedback. It isn't a consistent button at all when the screen is off and I'm wondering if this is a hardware fault? I'm running the latest update.
    05-17-2018 06:52 AM
    Not sure if it is a fault. In fact I did not even know about this feature. I had the s8+ prior to the note 8. I have always tapped the button multiple times until it woke up, or used the lock button. to wake the screen. I hate to say it but have you done a reset and see if that helps?
    05-17-2018 07:00 AM
    I think this may be perception based. It can feel very different based on ways you are holding the phone.

In case not however it should be asked, do you have a screen protector on? If so and it is an inproperly installed tempered glass screen it could cause issues.
    05-17-2018 02:36 PM
    No screen protector and on my phone at least, the home button 'feels'and reacts in exactly the same manner each & every time it is fully pressed whilst the screen is on. It's when the screen is off that it all changes and the button becomes incredibly inconsistent. It either fails to register a press at all, needs a much firmer press than usual, or feels 'weird' with a laggy vibro feedback. This is definitely not a perception thing. Could the button work 100% when the screen is on and be temperamental when off and still be a hardware fault?
    05-17-2018 02:47 PM
    The home button does act differently when the screen is off to on by design. It requires a harder press to go to the unlock screen and gives haptic feedback.

I have not noticed much in the way of varience to the way that behaves from screen off though outside of angle I am holding etc.

I did change my settings to make it a lighter press however:

Settings->Display->Navigation bar->Hard press Home button

Perhaps on the stronger press settings there is more variance. I took it down to 2 out of 5 which suited me well.
    kitmo and msndrstood like this.
    05-17-2018 03:14 PM
    The home button does act differently when the screen is off to on by design. It requires a harder press to go to the unlock screen and gives haptic feedback.

I have not noticed much in the way of varience to the way that behaves from screen off though outside of angle I am holding etc.

I did change my settings to make it a lighter press however:

Settings->Display->Navigation bar->Hard press Home button

Perhaps on the stronger press settings there is more variance. I took it down to 2 out of 5 which suited me well.
    I've got the sensitivity on the lowest setting and the button either refuses to press, takes a much harder press than it does when the screen is awake, or has some haptic vibe lag.
    You can still press the home button all the way and get the haptic feedback even when the screen is on.
    05-17-2018 05:55 PM
    I've got the sensitivity on the lowest setting and the button either refuses to press, takes a much harder press than it does when the screen is awake, or has some haptic vibe lag.
    You can still press the home button all the way and get the haptic feedback even when the screen is on.
    Quick question. Are you using any 3rd party launchers or screen lock apps? Using them MAY cause an issue like this.

There is also the prerequisite question of "have you tried shutting off your phone, restarting and wiping the cache partition?" If you haven't try that first.

If you have wiped the cache partition and you are not using a 3rd party launcher or screen lock app, then that leaves either a firmware/driver issue or a hardware issue.

Doing a factory reset should clear up the problem. If it doesn't, then you may have a hardware issue.

I hope this helps.
    05-17-2018 09:05 PM
    So you can confirm that your home button feels just the same when the screen is off as when the screen is on, 100% of the time and with no inconsistencies? Mine feels fine when the screen is on, a nice tactile press and with haptic feedback but when the screen is off it's like pressing a brick sometimes.
    05-18-2018 09:02 AM
    Yes. Mine is consistent. Screen on, screen off, with AOD on; I feel no difference.

I use Microsoft Launcher and Samsung's screen lock.
    sunking101 likes this.
    05-18-2018 10:22 AM
    Mine works fine for double taps of the home button within the AOD and for long presses when the screen is on. It is when the screen is fully off that the home button becomes temperamental. When it is too dark for the AOD to illuminate, or when the AOD is switched off and I press where the home button should be to wake the device....they're the scenarios when my pressure sensitive home button plays up. It should perform like a mechanical home button and wake the screen whether AOD is on or not, but 3 or 4 times out of 10 it plays up. It will still wake my device but it takes a harder/longer press, the press might not register at all, or the haptic feedback will lag. The button becomes inconsistent and frustrating to use. So many people use the fingerprint sensor to unlock, the physical power button to wake the device or they're always in a well lit room so can double tap from the AOD that they won't come across this fault even if they have it.
    05-18-2018 10:04 PM