Nova Launcher and Note 8

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
yes.
while the Samsung experience launcher is far better than it ever had been it is just not as good. with Nova I have home screen rotation and gestures. plus resizing widgets.

Simon Benham

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm using Nova, and i too think that whilst the Samsung launcher has improved year on year, I still can't help but fiddle around with it and ultimately swap it out with different launchers in the end.

I was using nova before i received Oreo and i continue to use it. I have it setup to closely mimick the stock pixel experience (my previous phone).

Can't really beat stock launcher with added tweaks imo.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I used it for a while. I switched to Microsoft Launcher. I like the way Microsoft Launcher can integrate between my Note 8, Tab S2, desktop PC, and Surface Pro.

hkula

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I noticed BV there are two Nova Launchers.
Nova Launcher &
Nova Prime.
Nova Prime has not been updated for a couple of years?
Which one should I use on the Note 8?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
With Nova, you can enable the left swipe to the Google page at the home screen correct? If so, anyone enable it and having any issues? Does it still require a third add-on in order to enable it?

I have found the stock TouchWiz to be fine so not itching to try Nova except for the above feature since I disabled everything with Bixby except the long press to do things like change brightness.

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
With Nova, you can enable the left swipe to the Google page at the home screen correct? If so, anyone enable it and having any issues? Does it still require a third add-on in order to enable it?

I have found the stock TouchWiz to be fine so not itching to try Nova except for the above feature since I disabled everything with Bixby except the long press to do things like change brightness.

Yes you need to install add-on for google now to work. Tried different launchers and always end up with SE within a day or two. Only two things I miss with SE, desktop lock for icons and widgets to stay in place and gesture to acces recent apps. (Yes back button is to the right which i use mostly)

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Touchwiz has been getting better, but Nova is always one step ahead, and I also like the idea that no matter what phone I get I will be familiar with the operating system. That don't apply fo the iPhone of course.

mike104393

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

Yes, I use it. The only issue I have with google now integration, is when changing nova settings, the phone needs a restart to get that feature working again.

Been using it since my very first Samsung device, way back when. Combine it with bkdisabler to disable toichwise from running in the background, which reduces memory usage and the need for two launchers to run at the same time.

Got my Samsung almost running close to stock around by disabling a lot of the bloatware.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
TouchWiz doesn't run in the background.

why don't you just use a basic gestures for Google now. I set mine up for double tap. no extra apps and it works with no drama. but I cannot stand not having home screen rotation.

NiffiIsenguard

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I like nova because I can declutter my screen more. where as I like what they did with touch whiz it's getting better. but the custom row and dock sizes with smaller icons is what I like. I can fit my calender wiget and some icons without it taking away from the phones clean look if that makes any sense

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I prefer Nova for two reasons...

1. When I move to a new phone I can email my settings from the old phone to myself. It's just a matter of restoring those settings and I'm up and running.

2. Hidden menus. Looks and acts like a single app icon so that it launches the app when you tap it. However, if you swipe up on the icon it acts like a menu. It declutters the the screen and keeps the casual user from getting to menus you don't want them to.