I didn't download oreo 8.0. My last security update was February. Will not updating prevent me from getting future security updates?
    05-24-2018 08:30 AM
    Makes sense it wants to do updates in the order they are pushed out.

Oreo is now the supported OS on our phones and any Security update we get goes through Samsung first and is optimized for our model phone on Oreo.

If you refuse Oreo, then you should really want to stay away from any future security updates... Besides plugging holes they also provide bug fixes to Oreo issues and could cause conflict if you're on Nougat.

They can't stop people from trying to refuse the Oreo update, but I doubt that they will spend time on providing monthly update for people still on Nougat.

I didn't download oreo 8.0. My last security update was February. Will not updating prevent me from getting future security updates?
    05-24-2018 08:56 AM
    Thank you!
    05-24-2018 09:15 AM
    Does anyone know if these updates are even worth it or just taking up the storage as usual?
    05-24-2018 10:35 AM
    The update stops us from rooting. Does it do anything else?
    05-24-2018 04:14 PM
    Not updating will not prevent you from getting future updates.

If you choose to update at a later on, your phone will grab whatever is the latest version.
    05-24-2018 08:40 PM
    Does anyone know if these updates are even worth it or just taking up the storage as usual?
    They are mostly security updates. So yes, they are.
    05-24-2018 08:41 PM
    So when you go to settings > software updates and check for updates, Oreo will be the next update it wants to install before it will check for any other updates including monthly security updates right? I don’t think they give a skip option. How do you bypass Oreo update to get to the security updates? I don’t think you can.

Not updating will not prevent you from getting future updates.

If you choose to update at a later on, your phone will grab whatever is the latest version.
    05-24-2018 10:15 PM
    So when you go to settings > software updates and check for updates, Oreo will be the next update it wants to install before it will check for any other updates including monthly security updates right? I don’t think they give a skip option. How do you bypass Oreo update to get to the security updates? I don’t think you can.
    Yes, you'll have to update to Oreo first.

Samsung won't send anymore monthly security updates for Nougat on the Note 8, and I doubt the carriers will either.
    05-24-2018 11:02 PM
    I believe eventually, the phone will not allow you to skip updating to Oreo and it will force you to install it. It will only allow you to skip updating to Oreo a few times and then the only choice will be to update.
    05-25-2018 01:53 AM
    I believe eventually, the phone will not allow you to skip updating to Oreo and it will force you to install it. It will only allow you to skip updating to Oreo a few times and then the only choice will be to update.
    It must be more than a few times. I've been deferring it every single day for around a month so far or whenever it came to Verizon.
    05-25-2018 04:00 PM
    I wouldn't grab a security update without updating to the Oreo, they probably wrote it for the Oreo code.
    05-26-2018 06:27 AM
    The security update for O won't even be available for N.
    05-26-2018 01:15 PM
    They are mostly security updates. So yes, they are.
    That's what Samsung TELLS us. I've noticed b4 with these updates that the default permissions in some Samsung apps can be changed after update. Why would this be the case just for a security update?
    05-26-2018 04:13 PM
    That's what Samsung TELLS us. I've noticed b4 with these updates that the default permissions in some Samsung apps can be changed after update. Why would this be the case just for a security update?
    Which updates did Samsung tell you were solely security updates?

If the firmware label has a "QS" before the last five characters, it's security-only; if "QU", it's not.

Also, I don't understand what you mean by "default permissions can be changed", or why that would imply a non-security change in the firmware and not just an update to those apps themselves.
    05-26-2018 06:09 PM
    Which updates did Samsung tell you were solely security updates?

If the firmware label has a "QS" before the last five characters, it's security-only; if "QU", it's not.

Also, I don't understand what you mean by "default permissions can be changed", or why that would imply a non-security change in the firmware and not just an update to those apps themselves.
    With other apps - non Samsung apps and non google apps, I've never noticed any changes to my default settings within that app...like location permission, notifications, for examples, never! Sometimes with Google and Samsung these are changed, and yes, with so called Samsung security updates! It therefore pays to go through permissions after such updates, imo. With specific sammy app updates, like messages, email, gallery etc, I've never noticed changes to my in-app settings. If it's a security "patch" that may make changes to our default settings then y not be outright and TELL us. Just saying...
    05-28-2018 06:35 PM
    With other apps - non Samsung apps and non google apps, I've never noticed any changes to my default settings within that app...like location permission, notifications, for examples, never! Sometimes with Google and Samsung these are changed, and yes, with so called Samsung security updates!
    Sorry, I'm still not understanding what you mean by "default" permission settings, as opposed to just permission settings.

You also still haven't said which updates you've noticed this for (what were the firmware version numbers?), and why you think any app changes were not due to app updates rather than firmware updates.

Apps aren't supposed to receive new permissions unless the user explicitly grants them, and I have never seen contrary behavior on my phone.
    05-29-2018 05:50 AM
    Just got my May security update on my Note 8 (I'm on Virgin Mobile Canada). It must change other things too as I noticed on my cordless charger that the symbols for battery remaining and charging were bling filled now! lol Looks great.
    05-29-2018 10:03 AM
    Gary02468
    "Apps aren't supposed to receive new permissions unless the user explicitly grants them, and I have never seen contrary behavior on my phone".

Exactly my point!
    05-30-2018 06:41 AM
    Gary02468
    "Apps aren't supposed to receive new permissions unless the user explicitly grants them, and I have never seen contrary behavior on my phone".

Exactly my point!
    No. I've seen several apps from the Play Store update with new additional permissions. I've been at this for more than 10 years now. Sure it may be less now if you're recent to the club, but a lot of apps do change permissions over time, especially during the transition from Android 4 to 5 when Google changed a lot of the storage permissions blocking some apps from interacting with the SD card if they did not update permissions. To the point that if you refused the permission changes they app won't work saying it won't be able to perform it's function without that permission.

One Samsung security update I remember from the S7 that had a permission change was for the AOD. They added a picture option for the AOD. It needed storage settings to be able to access your pictures for you to choose from, so that's an obvious need for additional permission.
    05-30-2018 07:27 AM
    How's battery with May update?
    05-30-2018 10:58 AM
    How's battery with May update?
    Got may update an hour ago so curious to know as well
    05-31-2018 10:08 AM