Pretty much decided on the Note

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
I got the chance to play around with a family member's Note 8 today, and I'm sold. The screen is fantastic, the S-Pen is MUCH improved, the software is responsive and ability to customize is great. There's no beating the Note series in terms of features. I went from an S3 I9300 to the Nexus 6P because the S3 was just not any good. I thought stock Android would be better in terms of speed and performance; and while it was, after two years now, I'm bored by it and the lack of features.

I did have an LG V30 which was...ok. The quad DAC was legit. The battery was actually great, because it literally sipped battery. I could go from a full charge and not drop down to 99% until after about 45 minutes of continuous use. That was with AOD enabled and location toggled on at high accuracy. Having said all that, LG's UI is a snooze-fest, and just feels like a half-assed version of Samsung's software. Not to mention the fact that I could never get full bars reception on it, even on my home Wi-Fi.

So the question is, do I go for the Note 8 now, or do I wait for the Note 9? I listen to my music a lot (many genres), and after the LG V30, I'm spoiled by the great headphone audio, so that's important. Although, I know that the Note 8 probably doesn't come close? The rumor of that 3850 mAh battery is also compelling. Although, would the difference in battery life between the Note 8 and 9 be that drastic, when you take software optimization into account? I'm certainly not gonna use AR Emojis much, so depending on what else Samsung packs in, will it make that much of a difference in terms of SOT and standby time? I admit to being skittish about coming back to Samsung, but logic dictates that things have gotten better software-wise since the crappy S3 I had. Thoughts?

TL;DR: My next phone will be a Note. Question is, 8 or 9?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I think there has been ads knocking off $300 for the S9 and S8 Note during this past holiday if that makes a difference for you. IMO a Note 8 at the $600 range is worth it. The S9 Note will be at least at full S8 Note price at release and the next 8 months if it's anything like the Note 8.

Jrome.brooks

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
The note 8 is a great device it's getting updates now so that's a plus you might have a problem with battery life but with heavy use u can still last a full work day but you might have to charge it mid day

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
The note 8 is a great device it's getting updates now so that's a plus you might have a problem with battery life but with heavy use u can still last a full work day but you might have to charge it mid day

Yeah, I should mention that I'm a lighter user. I don't game or take anything other than occasional point-and-shoot photos. I just talk, text, listen to my music, watch YouTube videos and browse the web and forums. I keep brightness at 25% indoors, and I'm always on Wi-Fi, except for when I'm running errands or at appointments. Great standby time is important.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Wow if you can keep the display brightness at 25% and resolution at FHD+ with the type of usage you mention, you'll have no problems getting 24 hours on it imo. That's just too low for me when I'm in and out in the Florida sun and don't want to be changing brightness all day. 50% for me does the job and I still get 24 hours with moderate use.

Yeah, I should mention that I'm a lighter user. I don't game or take anything other than occasional point-and-shoot photos. I just talk, text, listen to my music, watch YouTube videos and browse the web and forums. I keep brightness at 25% indoors, and I'm always on Wi-Fi, except for when I'm running errands or at appointments. Great standby time is important.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Note 9 needs a 4000 mah battery. I've seen rumors say 'maybe' 4000 mah and another recent source say sticking with the 3300 mah. :confused: If they do that, I can't imagine battery life will be any better than the Note 8 and that will be a fail in my book and a reason why Note 8 hasn't been many reviewer top pick or daily driver imo. I don't see s9 owners raving about their battery life so can't imagine it any better on the Note 9.

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
Wow if you can keep the display brightness at 25% and resolution at FHD+ with the type of usage you mention, you'll have no problems getting 24 hours on it imo. That's just too low for me when I'm in and out in the Florida sun and don't want to be changing brightness all day. 50% for me does the job and I still get 24 hours with moderate use.

I'm in Queens, myself. Lol, no way I would lower the screen resolution to FHD+ on a Note; Samsung panels are the best in the business, I'd take full advantage of the highest resolution. 25% brightness is only when I'm at home. I guess with my usage battery life wouldn't be an issue, but larger capacity batteries are always welcome.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm in Queens, myself. Lol, no way I would lower the screen resolution to FHD+ on a Note; Samsung panels are the best in the business, I'd take full advantage of the highest resolution. 25% brightness is only when I'm at home. I guess with my usage battery life wouldn't be an issue, but larger capacity batteries are always welcome.
I have mine on FHD+ and that's because I tried all three settings and can't find the difference between them and if there is a difference, the average person can't tell.

I have my brightness on about 60% and with Oreo, I can easily go a full 24hrs with 4 hrs screen time. That's about my average.

I would wait and just buy the Note 9 when it comes out. It's just about June and the Note 9 is probably 2-3 months away.

Jrome.brooks

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I have mine on FHD+ and that's because I tried all three settings and can't find the difference between them and if there is a difference, the average person can't tell.

I have my brightness on about 60% and with Oreo, I can easily go a full 24hrs with 4 hrs screen time. That's about my average.

I would wait and just buy the Note 9 when it comes out. It's just about June and the Note 9 is probably 2-3 months away.
I don't see a difference neither between definitions or proformance modes

PauloPImenta

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
Wait for N9. My battery life on N8 is sh*t. that's why I'm using now my Redmi Note 4. waiting for an update that improves Battery life. Apart from that, N8 is a great phone but who cares if your battery life dies at noon?

Jrome.brooks

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Wait for N9. My battery life on N8 is sh*t. that's why I'm using now my Redmi Note 4. waiting for an update that improves Battery life. Apart from that, N8 is a great phone but who cares if your battery life dies at noon?
The security patch that just came out is working well

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37