[Update: Rolling out now] Samsung to bring back customized text message ringtones in an update

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
https://www.sammobile.com/2018/06/1...stomized-text-message-ringtones-in-an-update/

[FONT="][B]Update:[/B][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#2B2B2B][FONT="] It appears a system update is not necessary to enable this feature. Samsung is already rolling out an update to the Samsung Messages app via the Galaxy Apps to support individual alert tones. One of the many perks of unbundling system apps and updating them through the app store![/FONT]

It looks like this is now an app setting vs. a contact setting - as in, if you delete the message thread, you'll have to set the custom notification again in the new thread.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Careful. It's not such a "minor update", it's Samsung's Messages app instead of the Google Messages app - that might mean no RCS. If the world starts using the RCS features, you'll want the Google version. (And you can get individual notification tones back right now by using SMS Popup.)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Careful. It's not such a "minor update", it's Samsung's Messages app instead of the Google Messages app - that might mean no RCS. If the world starts using the RCS features, you'll want the Google version. (And you can get individual notification tones back right now by using SMS Popup.)

Are you expecting Samsung to take RCS support out of Samsung Messages? As far as I know, Samsung Messages already supports carrier profiles (like with Sprint) for RCS/enhanced messaging and Samsung is on the list of OEMs supporting Google's Chat profile for RCS.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No, I should dig deeper into what Samsung is currently using. I wasn't aware that Samsung Messages was now Samsung's modification to Google Messages. (I still have Samsung Messages apps on my older phones, and they were completely different than the equivalent Google Messages apps.)

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people suffered heartache and pain over this feature being removed from the stock app. Maybe this will alleviate somebody's depression and they can now move on with their lives.
2b9ac12d06fe17e1bfb7f447593e8308.gif
b39fd027fbf4a42b850910f751fd8761.gif

wdfrancis58

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm on Sprint. I just got an update to the messaging app. But nothing changed. Still no separate notifications allowed. I tried in the messaging app and in contacts.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm on Sprint. I just got an update to the messaging app. But nothing changed. Still no separate notifications allowed. I tried in the messaging app and in contacts.
You have to click on the conversation. Then click on the three dots at the top. An option to change the notification will show up.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I have an s8 + and didn't wait on the official update for the texting app. I got the update somewhere else and I'm not sure I can say where in this forum. Can y'all tell me what version you got and did your texting app icon turn blue?

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
If you follow the link in the OP, there is a link in the story that takes you to the updated APK. It's not a system update, it's an app.

Or just download it from the Galaxy App store.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
If you follow the link in the OP, there is a link in the story that takes you to the updated APK. It's not a system update, it's an app.

Or just download it from the Galaxy App store.
I know it's an app update. The apk that I have is not the 4.4.30.5, it's 5 something. Where I got it from says it's official. I just wanted to make sure that I got the correct version.

Edit: after clicking the link I see it takes me to where I got my apk from. Thanks.

I think I'll go have a meltdown over these blue chat bubbles that don't change when I add a theme.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I installed the APK in the link. It's version 5.0.21.18. All individual notifications are back and working perfectly. Thanks!

drewood31601

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the heads up . loaded the apk and other than the ability to change background wallpaper, it works great . be advised that you pinch to to change the font inside of a message and on mine, it seems to adjust the font size for all messages .

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I finally downloaded the update instead of waiting for it to come. Works great so far. I wish they would just bring back the option to set individual text tone for contacts like before oreo. Unless I don't have to keep setting notification tone for individual texts when I delete them I guess that be ok.

Edit: just tried it and yeah I have to keep setting notification tone when I delete texts. Glad we got some option without having to download 3rd party app but it was better before.

Edit again lol: silly me forgot that I can star(formally called lock) one message and delete rest without having to reset notification tone.

Last edited:

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
And I noticed that schedule a message is gone or either I just can't find it. Didn't use it really. Just noticed lol.