After This, I Will Never Let One of My Customers Leave with a Samsung Device

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
He is not alone in this issue. I haven't replaced mine but have the same corruption issues with anything I transfer from the device. My wife does as well. Mine is unlocked her's is Verizon branded. It does not matter if you use an sd card or not. It still does it. It did not do this before oreo! Music files are corrupted, pictures, documents, etc. Anything that is transferable. The only blame I give Samsung is the fact they know and refuse to admit publicly that Oreo has an issue. Google gets this blame for the fact this affects all Samsung devices and none of Google's. Battery life has been destroyed by oreo as well. Give us the option to update or not. Give us the ability to downgrade the bootloader back so we can go back to 7.1.1. The security updates are what most would call useless if our devices don't perform the way they should. I have tried minimal apps and new setups. They don't work to fix this problem.
Have you tried factory resetting the device?

I must admit I never experienced any issues, but as I live outside the US, none of my devices are altered as much as US carrier devices are.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Google gets this blame for the fact this affects all Samsung devices and none of Google's. Battery life has been destroyed by oreo as well.

It does not affect all Samsung devices, and my battery is the same before and after Oreo. I know it's annoying and shouldn't be needed, but maybe a factory reset could sort it out for you? If the Oreo system software works on my Verizon Note 8, it should work on your wifes.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
It does not affect all Samsung devices, and my battery is the same before and after Oreo. I know it's annoying and shouldn't be needed, but maybe a factory reset could sort it out for you? If the Oreo system software works on my Verizon Note 8, it should work on your wifes.

It's a shame for sure, updates should just work.
That's why I'm not one of the impatient ones whining about updates being so slow, I'd rather have them thoroughly tested.

I have Oreo on my Note 8, Tab S3, and my gf has it on her S6 with none of the issues in this thread.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
This is where I find the issue hard myself. Not all the issues I have show on my wife's N8. I am starting to think that maybe Samsung got cheap and used multiple different components for unlocked USA and carrier locked devices. It would explain more so why some devices exhibit the issues and some do not. More so is that my father has an unlocked N8 in blue bought from the same bestbuy as mine and has had no issues at all. So is it Google or is it Samsung?

Some one try out 4K video recording and transfer the file and see if your video looks like it is trying to jump at you. That issue occurred after oreo on both mine and my wife's.

Yes I factory reset as new several times. I even loaded the firmware through odin and still get the same bugs. Honestly I don't believe the hardware is the issue. I think Google screwed us and Samsung missed it.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
This is where I find the issue hard myself. Not all the issues I have show on my wife's N8. I am starting to think that maybe Samsung got cheap and used multiple different components for unlocked USA and carrier locked devices. It would explain more so why some devices exhibit the issues and some do not. More so is that my father has an unlocked N8 in blue bought from the same bestbuy as mine and has had no issues at all. So is it Google or is it Samsung?

Some one try out 4K video recording and transfer the file and see if your video looks like it is trying to jump at you. That issue occurred after oreo on both mine and my wife's.

Yes I factory reset as new several times. I even loaded the firmware through odin and still get the same bugs. Honestly I don't believe the hardware is the issue. I think Google screwed us and Samsung missed it.

Just tried, first time ever, so I hope I did it correctly. UHD?
I only recorded for 3 seconds, transferred it to my tablet via bluetooth, the video looks fine.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Just tried, first time ever, so I hope I did it correctly. UHD?
I only recorded for 3 seconds, transferred it to my tablet via bluetooth, the video looks fine.
Needs to be longer than 3 seconds. I'm talking 4k for 3 to 4 minutes should show this issue. It looks more like an autofocus issue but the video is never out of focus just pulsing in and out. Yes UHD.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Needs to be longer than 3 seconds. I'm talking 4k for 3 to 4 minutes should show this issue. It looks more like an autofocus issue but the video is never out of focus just pulsing in and out. Yes UHD.

Ok, I recorded for over 3.5 minutes, transferred it to my external harddrive, then to my tablet.
It still looks fine.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
He refers to irreplaceable data. Which I would understand as he's transferring something over. It may not be actual backups that he did like SmartSwitch backups or the like but stuff he copied over via SD card.

And I'm going to be the one "jerk" and comment that the irreplaceable data can just be restored from the backup he made of it. All of MY irreplaceable data has AT LEAST 3 copies - one on my computer (specifically photos taken with an actual camera), one on the Time machine backup drive (macOS integrated backup tool) and also in a cloud-based backup container. Oh, and for those "trips of a lifetime" (for me, the opportunity to go to the Teotihuacan pyramids outside Mexico City when I was there for work, to name one), the camera memory card was never erased making that a FOURTH location of the files.

For my phone - I don't keep ANYTHING of value stored exclusively on my phone or tablet, it's all synced to the cloud to reduce the risk of data loss...

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm on my 4th Note8

Welcome to the forums. Are they all different Notes? To clarify, you sent them in and Samsung gave you a different phone?

Right, but there has to be some common denominator on his side.

I am inclined to agree that there is a common denominator here. @Calivsak, please don't take it that I am saying this is user error. Very far from it. But, if all these devices are different units, then there has to be something in common that's causing it. This happening to 2, I could believe to be some kind of software error, but 4 devices?

Calivsak

May 11, 2018
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Are they all different Notes? To clarify, you sent them in and Samsung gave you a different phone?

I am inclined to agree that there is a common denominator here. @Calivsak, please don't take it that I am saying this is user error. Very far from it. But, if all these devices are different units, then there has to be something in common that's causing it. This happening to 2, I could believe to be some kind of software error, but 4 devices?

Apparently I should have kept watching for replies. So Ill start from the top.
- Yes they were all different Note8s. They were all replaced through AT&T as that is what my replacement plan is through and as Im located in Alaska, there is no Samsung service center in my area.

- No offence taken, as a former computer service rep, if I heard this I would assume User error as well. However I cannot think how this can be the case as every with ever replacement device the problems started before any old data was transferred. I set the device up as new, no restoring from a backup in any way and as im halfway through downloading apps the dialogue boxes "System UI has Stopped" followed by every Google App, Samsung App and System Process ( ie process.android.media.com or android.phone.com etc) crashing in a cascade. And I hadnt transferred ANYTHING over yet, I even got a new SIM card to be safe. This has happened 4 times in a row. The latest time I even went so far as to take the still closed in box Note8 from warrenty to the Samsung Experience Rep at my local Best Buy and had him do a software reflash before I even turned it on, just to make sure there was no corrupt data on it. "Samsung Home Experience" started crashing before my 1st app finished downloading. All starting soon after the 8.0 upgrade.

- Im trying to get it swapped for a 9+ on warranty so it doesnt use my upgrade and thats only because from what I was told, switching brands will void my upgrade

Last edited:

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Got my note 8 at launch and never an issue seems like you have a hardware issue to me it would be different if there were more complaints than just you but I just can't see Samsung as the issue. Where are you getting the warranty replacements from?
For 3 months now, (ever since 30 minutes after a FORCED, UNWANTED UPDATE to 8.0) my Note8 has had every app up to and including the System UI crashing multiple time daily. No problem, that's why I pay extra for a warranty right? WRONG I'm on my 4th Note8 now for the same issues. And before you ask, I set up every new device as new, so no backups! It is now to the point where I can't use my phone for more then 3 hours without my $1000 piece of hardware having a stroke and corrupting irreplaceable data. I have had Samsung for years and have always pushed the brand to my customers because of my overwhelmingly positive experience with their products. This situation and the lack of assistance from Samsung itself has butchered every ounce of that goodwill.

Dooki

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
quality control can be wonky. I believe the op because of past experience with non electronic devices.
I work for a delivery service. we deliver everything legal and not alive. Honda dealerships are one of our customers. Honda has excellent QC. We delivered a hood, nothing out of the ordinary, we got a call that it had been damaged, they blamed us. we picked it up, it was damaged, delivered another, damaged also, they blamed us, so the third one we delivered we had them take it out of the box in front of me, it was damaged. However, it was damaged in the exact same spot, under bubble wrap, under cardboard, that had no damaged. The body shop was livid, for both it being damaged again and that Hondas shipping department blamed us. My boss had words, the body shop had words and the manager had words with the employee.

Napa a few years ago has a QC issue with their gold line lifetime water pumps. they rebuilt my head and replaced everything involved when I had my Civic worked on. turns out they were all bad water pumps.

so, yeah. I believe there could be a QC issue with that specific phone sold by att.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Apparently I should have kept watching for replies. So Ill start from the top.
- Yes they were all different Note8s. They were all replaced through AT&T as that is what my replacement plan is through and as Im located in Alaska, there is no Samsung service center in my area.

- No offence taken, as a former computer service rep, if I heard this I would assume User error as well. However I cannot think how this can be the case as every with ever replacement device the problems started before any old data was transferred. I set the device up as new, no restoring from a backup in any way and as im halfway through downloading apps the dialogue boxes "System UI has Stopped" followed by every Google App, Samsung App and System Process ( ie process.android.media.com or android.phone.com etc) crashing in a cascade. And I hadnt transferred ANYTHING over yet, I even got a new SIM card to be safe. This has happened 4 times in a row. The latest time I even went so far as to take the still closed in box Note8 from warrenty to the Samsung Experience Rep at my local Best Buy and had him do a software reflash before I even turned it on, just to make sure there was no corrupt data on it. "Samsung Home Experience" started crashing before my 1st app finished downloading. All starting soon after the 8.0 upgrade.

- Im trying to get it swapped for a 9+ on warranty so it doesnt use my upgrade and thats only because from what I was told, switching brands will void my upgrade

Good luck to you.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
He is not alone in this issue. I haven't replaced mine but have the same corruption issues with anything I transfer from the device. My wife does as well. Mine is unlocked her's is Verizon branded. It does not matter if you use an sd card or not. It still does it. It did not do this before oreo! Music files are corrupted, pictures, documents, etc. Anything that is transferable. The only blame I give Samsung is the fact they know and refuse to admit publicly that Oreo has an issue. Google gets this blame for the fact this affects all Samsung devices and none of Google's. Battery life has been destroyed by oreo as well. Give us the option to update or not. Give us the ability to downgrade the bootloader back so we can go back to 7.1.1. The security updates are what most would call useless if our devices don't perform the way they should. I have tried minimal apps and new setups. They don't work to fix this problem.

Google doesn't deserve any blame. If it only affects Samsung phones than that would be on Samsung.

daswooski

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
You said you were setting up as new but then said that halfway through the apps downloading?? You get a system UI stopped working ? So you actually are restoring your saved google apps from your google account when you log in ??
This could be the issue unless i am misunderstanding? Something in the restoring your saved apps is corrupt and you should try to set up each app from scratch?
Again, unless i am misunderstanding your post...?

Just trying to help...

jsigmo

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm still confused. Is the OP, or is the OP not, using the same SD card in all of these phones?

I've had several SD cards fail, and of course, they cause data loss or corruption.

I've been involved in all aspects of electronics manufacturing, design, maintenance, etc., for over 40 years.

I've seen two cases in all of that time where we received "bad runs" of particular ICs. But it is incredibly rare. And since the OP's phones must surely have come from different production runs, and NOT have anything close to consecutive serial numbers, and since the problems the OP is having are not common, and he has them consistently over all of these phones, from a troubleshooting logic point of view, we have to conclude that there is some factor other than the phones which is common to his situation.

There is a common factor here, but the chance that it's these four separate phones is infinitesimal or else his problems would be widespread.