07-07-2018 11:20 AM
74 123
tools
    Same thing here, ever since the 8.0 update on my Note 8 it's been buggy. It now just sits in my nightstand and I'm back to using my LG V30. As soon as I pay it down a little it's going on Swappa. I gave up on Samsung phones years ago but thought I would take a chance on the Note 8, same Samsung different phone. Just because they sell the most phones, android phones, doesn't necessarily mean there the best phones.
    06-18-2018 10:18 PM
    I had to go buy the iPhone x just to do my 4k video. I mean I hate apples ecosystem but it works with issues. So I carry both because I need the N8 for work. Maybe Samsung will get it fixed soon. If not then it's the last I buy. I gave them a shot after the N7 issue and it's right back to unusable video and corruption issues. They need to quit changing the OS and focus on using it as a it should be.
    06-18-2018 10:34 PM
    Now the file corruption only happens on transfer from phone to pc.
    Did your encrypt your microSD card? If so, you have to decrypted card before you use it in another device.

If your encrypt the microSD card, then pull it out of the phone and stick it in a PC or any other device, it will see the files but can't read them.
    06-19-2018 01:36 AM
    Did your encrypt your microSD card? If so, you have to decrypted card before you use it in another device.

If your encrypt the microSD card, then pull it out of the phone and stick it in a PC or any other device, it will see the files but can't read them.
    No did not encrypt it. Like I said the issue did not start until Oreo. The camera, the files, the random weird things that it does. Going to wait and see if the next update addresses these issues or if I shelled out a grand for a paperweight.
    06-19-2018 08:37 AM
    No did not encrypt it. Like I said the issue did not start until Oreo. The camera, the files, the random weird things that it does. Going to wait and see if the next update addresses these issues or if I shelled out a grand for a paperweight.
    Have you tried to reformat your microSD card or tried a different one? It's possible that upgrading to Oreo corrupted it? When Oreo was first being pushed out, I read about there was some significant differences between Nougat's and Oreo's file systems and that it could cause problems.
    06-19-2018 05:27 PM
    Have you tried to reformat your microSD card or tried a different one? It's possible that upgrading to Oreo corrupted it? When Oreo was first being pushed out, I read about there was some significant differences between Nougat's and Oreo's file systems and that it could cause problems.
    There again what point would that make? Even if I do not use an sdcard it does it.
    06-19-2018 08:13 PM
    For 3 months now, (ever since 30 minutes after a FORCED, UNWANTED UPDATE to 8.0) my Note8 has had every app up to and including the System UI crashing multiple time daily. No problem, that's why I pay extra for a warranty right? WRONG I'm on my 4th Note8 now for the same issues. And before you ask, I set up every new device as new, so no backups! It is now to the point where I can't use my phone for more then 3 hours without my $1000 piece of hardware having a stroke and corrupting irreplaceable data. I have had Samsung for years and have always pushed the brand to my customers because of my overwhelmingly positive experience with their products. This situation and the lack of assistance from Samsung itself has butchered every ounce of that goodwill.
    4th Note 8...i am pretty sure it isnt the phone's fault...
    WalkingHorse, rdubmu and gregg6942 like this.
    06-19-2018 08:21 PM
    Wow, that's no fun, I have had good luck with Samsung phones (My go to used to be HTC)

Cheers,
    BR
    06-20-2018 07:58 AM
    There again what point would that make? Even if I do not use an sdcard it does it.
    Okay, just to make it clear because I'm starting to get confused since this is getting long:

1. This happened on 4 Note 8s
    2. You did not restore anything from previous Note 8s
    3. This happens even when there is no SD card installed
    4. You encounter Note 8s that do not have this problem.
    5. You have tried factory resets

Are the above correct?

Questions:
    1. Even if you never even inserted the SD card in the Note 8 ever? If you inserted it once, it could alter things.
    2. I seem to missed you answering if you aready tried safe mode. Have you?
    06-20-2018 09:26 AM
    Different USB cable? Different computer and/or different OS? (like a Linux distro or something). Specifically, I know Windows 10 build 1803 has been doing some rather weird things with certain hardware lately.

As for the crashing issues, setting the device up as new will not cause apps to start downloading automatically (tested that when I set up my Note 8 with no backups being available on the cloud because I was using Android P beta on my Pixel 2 XL before this). Make sure you're also not restoring from a backup with your Samsung account.
    06-20-2018 07:49 PM
    Okay, just to make it clear because I'm starting to get confused since this is getting long:

1. This happened on 4 Note 8s
    2. You did not restore anything from previous Note 8s
    3. This happens even when there is no SD card installed
    4. You encounter Note 8s that do not have this problem.
    5. You have tried factory resets

Are the above correct?

Questions:
    1. Even if you never even inserted the SD card in the Note 8 ever? If you inserted it once, it could alter things.
    2. I seem to missed you answering if you aready tried safe mode. Have you?
    For me no 4 N8's. That's the OP. Just the one. There are 3 in the household and 2 are unlocked. 1 is Verizon. Only thing is the 1 unlocked that doesn't seem to have issues is the blue which is going to be the newest. Even with the sdcard never installed it exhibits issues with corruption and video problems. For me I do not believe this is hardware related so I am not exchanging it. I moved to the iphone x to take care of the 4k video and corruption because of it. Simple fix to the problem. I use my N8 for work instead since it has the spen.
    06-20-2018 08:06 PM
    Different USB cable? Different computer and/or different OS? (like a Linux distro or something). Specifically, I know Windows 10 build 1803 has been doing some rather weird things with certain hardware lately.

As for the crashing issues, setting the device up as new will not cause apps to start downloading automatically (tested that when I set up my Note 8 with no backups being available on the cloud because I was using Android P beta on my Pixel 2 XL before this). Make sure you're also not restoring from a backup with your Samsung account.
    U know maybe ur on to something. I have not tried a different pc. It could be an issue within windows 10.
    06-20-2018 08:08 PM
    U know maybe ur on to something. I have not tried a different pc. It could be an issue within windows 10.
    The latest spring update has been doing weird things on some systems, so it was one thing that came to mind.
    06-20-2018 08:38 PM
    Are you using a sd card and if so are you using the same one in each replacement phone. I had one card go bad and it made my phone go nuts. I even lost a photo of a foster child of ours
    06-20-2018 09:56 PM
    Looks like my music has fixed itself over the last few weeks. So I wonder if the issue with that was windows 10 mismatching songs with artists. Now all my songs have the right artist. Or it could have been an issue with Oreo and the last update fixed it, just took time to resolve the file structure. My sdcard is usually only used for music or video I transfer manually when I use one. I'm going to test the 4k video recording again and see if this has been resolved as well.
    06-21-2018 07:02 AM
    Get a new Sim Card and SD card, which you will verify in a separate device . I only read through 40 posts, so excuse this if it was posted already.
    06-23-2018 12:03 PM
    One thing that all 4 of the OP's phones appear to have in common is Android Oreo. Perhaps the OP should do a factory reset and test hot the phone works without installing anything at all.
    06-30-2018 05:04 PM
    The OP could also manually disable automatic update in case one of the updates is the culprit.
    06-30-2018 05:08 PM
    Ask yourself, what variables are constants and what are not.
    From what I have read:

Constant Variables
    You
    Your phone set up
    Your computer and programs
    Your process
    Cords?
    SD card?

Non Constant Variables
    The Note 8's (you've had 4 different, independent of each other)

You are taking indepently, different variables and applying several or more consistent variable and the result is the same. I agree with many of the respo ders that your issues are not with the phone.
    Kinda like getting angry with the canvas because you don't like how you paint or the color or subject.....
    daswooski, j_hansen and Tsepz_GP like this.
    07-03-2018 01:28 PM
    One thing that all 4 of the OP's phones appear to have in common is Android Oreo. Perhaps the OP should do a factory reset and test hot the phone works without installing anything at all.
    One thing they all have in common is the OP.

Plenty of us using Oreo just fine.
    07-04-2018 01:01 AM
    Well the only thing that did not resolve is my 4k recording issue. Everything else fixed itself. All files have been restored to original names, dates, etc. So maybe the corruption was due to so file reorganization like windows does.
    07-04-2018 08:26 AM
    Are you using a sd card and if so are you using the same one in each replacement phone. I had one card go bad and it made my phone go nuts. I even lost a photo of a foster child of ours
    I would like to know what the model and size of the OP's SD card. Either the card is bad, or he's gotten a counterfeit.
    07-04-2018 11:20 AM
    Apparently I should have kept watching for replies. So Ill start from the top.
    - Yes they were all different Note8s. They were all replaced through AT&T as that is what my replacement plan is through and as Im located in Alaska, there is no Samsung service center in my area.

- No offence taken, as a former computer service rep, if I heard this I would assume User error as well. However I cannot think how this can be the case as every with ever replacement device the problems started before any old data was transferred. I set the device up as new, no restoring from a backup in any way and as im halfway through downloading apps the dialogue boxes "System UI has Stopped" followed by every Google App, Samsung App and System Process ( ie process.android.media.com or android.phone.com etc) crashing in a cascade. And I hadnt transferred ANYTHING over yet, I even got a new SIM card to be safe. This has happened 4 times in a row. The latest time I even went so far as to take the still closed in box Note8 from warrenty to the Samsung Experience Rep at my local Best Buy and had him do a software reflash before I even turned it on, just to make sure there was no corrupt data on it. "Samsung Home Experience" started crashing before my 1st app finished downloading. All starting soon after the 8.0 upgrade.

- Im trying to get it swapped for a 9+ on warranty so it doesnt use my upgrade and thats only because from what I was told, switching brands will void my upgrade
    What is the model and size of your SD card?
    07-04-2018 11:21 AM
    We have 6 note 8's, never have had an issue
    07-07-2018 11:20 AM
74 123