After This, I Will Never Let One of My Customers Leave with a Samsung Device

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering -- when the phones started malfunctioning, did you ever boot into Safe Mode to see if the problem was due to something you installed vs the firmware?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
You said you were setting up as new but then said that halfway through the apps downloading?? You get a system UI stopped working ? So you actually are restoring your saved google apps from your google account when you log in ??
Restoring your apps by downloading them from Play (which is what I'm guessing is happening as part of the setup) is not the same as installing from a saved backup. It's still downloading and installing those apps from scratch, just automating the process. Of course that's not to say one of those apps couldn't still have a bug in it causing these issues.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Right, but there has to be some common denominator on his side. Maybe the SD card as some have mentioned. I find it too hard to believe that he experienced the same rare problem across 4 different phones just by random, incredibly bad luck.

Yeah, 4 different random defects might be possible if he's really unlucky, but 4 same issue which is not commonly encountered by other users is very unlikely.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, I wont minimize your issues by saying I don't have them. and I applaud consumers for ditching products that don't work for them. That's the way it should be, fan boys aside from whatever platform. I would never let data that was important too me go with out being backed up, been doing that for a long time, and I have never trusted technology with my valuables and I don't plan on starting now. Loosing data is on the owner alone, not to be miss-blamed on a manufacture. They say it in the fine print.
That said, poor networks can wreak havoc on devices that have only that between them ($1,000) hardware and a solid server. I am not saying that is your issue, you certainly have one, but we need to rule out hardware 1, software or settings 2, and network connection quality 3. I doubt several warranty hardware replacements makes hardware the issue. Just my 0.02. Back up your important data daily, if not more often, and make sure your network is strong. Just backing your important stuff up fixes one of your issues. I would elevate your problems to network engineers, if you haven't done so already to just rule that out. Good luck, but remember to not purchase others devices with your wallet. You would be doing them a huge disservice by taking choices away from them. If they want a Sammy, well well sell it my friend. Millions are happy with properly set up devices on strong networks.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
This is where I find the issue hard myself. Not all the issues I have show on my wife's N8. I am starting to think that maybe Samsung got cheap and used multiple different components for unlocked USA and carrier locked devices. It would explain more so why some devices exhibit the issues and some do not. More so is that my father has an unlocked N8 in blue bought from the same bestbuy as mine and has had no issues at all. So is it Google or is it Samsung?

Some one try out 4K video recording and transfer the file and see if your video looks like it is trying to jump at you. That issue occurred after oreo on both mine and my wife's.

Yes I factory reset as new several times. I even loaded the firmware through odin and still get the same bugs. Honestly I don't believe the hardware is the issue. I think Google screwed us and Samsung missed it.
It could certainly be a bug, good point.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
It could certainly be a bug, good point.
Here's the weird thing. Even if I take out my sdcard and setup as new. All apps downloaded manually it still corrupts files. Now the file corruption only happens on transfer from phone to pc. All my backups in the cloud are fine. This could be what the OP is referring to. OP may not be using cloud backup. The 4K video is still one I have not figured out as to if it's a setting or not. The thing is this was not an issue even with the OP before the Oreo update. It's not a hardware issue and yes I do agree Samsung would be to blame for not properly testing before public release, but after the N7 fiasco why wouldn't Google take the opportunity to throw in code that doesn't effect their devices. Remember each device is supposed to be unique. They may have the same issue as everything else. Only so many digits are revealed to the O.S. Which means it may lead to devices not being affected because of one set of numbers that match. I'm old school so I've seen this before with software written to work only with one set of numbers like the serial number run from day 1 to day 200. If another manufacturer only allows for a set number of spaces to be read it falls within the 200 day span, but there will be some that don't causing them to either fail or go buggy. There was absolutely nothing in Oreo that made me need nor want it. Had no issues before and am thoroughly ticked like the OP.

P.S. DUH I wonder if they rewrote the code for the USB cable? I am using the same cable I used before, but I just remembered it's not the original!! Will test when I get off today and report back. That would explain file transfer corruption. Also means Samsung pulled an Apple on the cable. Now the 4K video pulse is still up. Seems like its autofocus related though.

km04

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
Needs to be longer than 3 seconds. I'm talking 4k for 3 to 4 minutes should show this issue. It looks more like an autofocus issue but the video is never out of focus just pulsing in and out. Yes UHD.

I started getting this and wasn't sure if it was the update or not that caused it. Now this has got me thinking that maybe it is.

PAC757

Trusted Member
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Same thing here, ever since the 8.0 update on my Note 8 it's been buggy. It now just sits in my nightstand and I'm back to using my LG V30. As soon as I pay it down a little it's going on Swappa. I gave up on Samsung phones years ago but thought I would take a chance on the Note 8, same Samsung different phone. Just because they sell the most phones, android phones, doesn't necessarily mean there the best phones.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I had to go buy the iPhone x just to do my 4k video. I mean I hate apples ecosystem but it works with issues. So I carry both because I need the N8 for work. Maybe Samsung will get it fixed soon. If not then it's the last I buy. I gave them a shot after the N7 issue and it's right back to unusable video and corruption issues. They need to quit changing the OS and focus on using it as a it should be.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Now the file corruption only happens on transfer from phone to pc.

Did your encrypt your microSD card? If so, you have to decrypted card before you use it in another device.

If your encrypt the microSD card, then pull it out of the phone and stick it in a PC or any other device, it will see the files but can't read them.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Did your encrypt your microSD card? If so, you have to decrypted card before you use it in another device.

If your encrypt the microSD card, then pull it out of the phone and stick it in a PC or any other device, it will see the files but can't read them.
No did not encrypt it. Like I said the issue did not start until Oreo. The camera, the files, the random weird things that it does. Going to wait and see if the next update addresses these issues or if I shelled out a grand for a paperweight.

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
No did not encrypt it. Like I said the issue did not start until Oreo. The camera, the files, the random weird things that it does. Going to wait and see if the next update addresses these issues or if I shelled out a grand for a paperweight.

Have you tried to reformat your microSD card or tried a different one? It's possible that upgrading to Oreo corrupted it? When Oreo was first being pushed out, I read about there was some significant differences between Nougat's and Oreo's file systems and that it could cause problems.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried to reformat your microSD card or tried a different one? It's possible that upgrading to Oreo corrupted it? When Oreo was first being pushed out, I read about there was some significant differences between Nougat's and Oreo's file systems and that it could cause problems.

There again what point would that make? Even if I do not use an sdcard it does it.

Hermes Hidayat

Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
For 3 months now, (ever since 30 minutes after a FORCED, UNWANTED UPDATE to 8.0) my Note8 has had every app up to and including the System UI crashing multiple time daily. No problem, that's why I pay extra for a warranty right? WRONG I'm on my 4th Note8 now for the same issues. And before you ask, I set up every new device as new, so no backups! It is now to the point where I can't use my phone for more then 3 hours without my $1000 piece of hardware having a stroke and corrupting irreplaceable data. I have had Samsung for years and have always pushed the brand to my customers because of my overwhelmingly positive experience with their products. This situation and the lack of assistance from Samsung itself has butchered every ounce of that goodwill.

4th Note 8...i am pretty sure it isnt the phone's fault...

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
There again what point would that make? Even if I do not use an sdcard it does it.

Okay, just to make it clear because I'm starting to get confused since this is getting long:

1. This happened on 4 Note 8s
2. You did not restore anything from previous Note 8s
3. This happens even when there is no SD card installed
4. You encounter Note 8s that do not have this problem.
5. You have tried factory resets

Are the above correct?

Questions:
1. Even if you never even inserted the SD card in the Note 8 ever? If you inserted it once, it could alter things.
2. I seem to missed you answering if you aready tried safe mode. Have you?

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Different USB cable? Different computer and/or different OS? (like a Linux distro or something). Specifically, I know Windows 10 build 1803 has been doing some rather weird things with certain hardware lately.

As for the crashing issues, setting the device up as new will not cause apps to start downloading automatically (tested that when I set up my Note 8 with no backups being available on the cloud because I was using Android P beta on my Pixel 2 XL before this). Make sure you're also not restoring from a backup with your Samsung account.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Okay, just to make it clear because I'm starting to get confused since this is getting long:

1. This happened on 4 Note 8s
2. You did not restore anything from previous Note 8s
3. This happens even when there is no SD card installed
4. You encounter Note 8s that do not have this problem.
5. You have tried factory resets

Are the above correct?

Questions:
1. Even if you never even inserted the SD card in the Note 8 ever? If you inserted it once, it could alter things.
2. I seem to missed you answering if you aready tried safe mode. Have you?
For me no 4 N8's. That's the OP. Just the one. There are 3 in the household and 2 are unlocked. 1 is Verizon. Only thing is the 1 unlocked that doesn't seem to have issues is the blue which is going to be the newest. Even with the sdcard never installed it exhibits issues with corruption and video problems. For me I do not believe this is hardware related so I am not exchanging it. I moved to the iphone x to take care of the 4k video and corruption because of it. Simple fix to the problem. I use my N8 for work instead since it has the spen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kthompson9705kt