07-17-2018 09:23 PM
29 12
tools
    I know there are other places to get this input, but I am looking for fresh up to date perspectives. I have gone back and forth on these two devices 'at a distance' because of cost, but now my business account is offering the Note8 for 249 and the Pixel 2XL for 149. I know you can't make my decision for me, but sometimes I get myself tied in knots and it helps me sort out my own thoughts as I hear the opinions of others. Thank you!
    (btw, I'm posting this in the Pixel forum as well to catch that crowd).
    06-19-2018 11:21 AM
    I think that may be a tough decision. I carry 2 phones (iPhone for work and Note 8 for personal). Maybe get both? I really am still partial to the Note though.
    06-19-2018 02:20 PM
    I know there are other places to get this input, but I am looking for fresh up to date perspectives. I have gone back and forth on these two devices 'at a distance' because of cost, but now my business account is offering the Note8 for 249 and the Pixel 2XL for 149. I know you can't make my decision for me, but sometimes I get myself tied in knots and it helps me sort out my own thoughts as I hear the opinions of others. Thank you!
    Note8 everyday.

- Better Display
    - MicroSD Expansion
    - Dual OIS Cameras - great for taking high quality videos and very low light images
    - 6GB RAM - Multitasking is an endless breeze
    - Samsung Pay
    - SPen - The SPen sets the Note apart from anything else on the market and makes it a true productivity tool, from content creation to document editing.
    - 3.5mm headphones jack
    - Iris Scanner

If you can, maybe even wait for Note9.

I would avoid the Pixel 2 XL, it seems to be riddled with issues:
    https://m.androidcentral.com/common-...xel-2-problems
    revtech, kj11 and Harlemknight like this.
    06-19-2018 02:34 PM
    The Note 8 is so much more feature packed than the Pixel but where the Pixel really shines is with its camera set up. But I was able to port the Google Pixel's camera software to my Note 8 so now I have the best of both worlds.
    06-20-2018 11:52 PM
    Although not an admirer of Samsung's policies toward its proprietary software (which admittedly has improved in the last several years), I have to say the Note 8 is the best phone I've ever used. Like someone else said one time, the Note 8 is Android with Samsung's useful software added plus the S-Pen hardware/software on top of that. Overall, the combination is killer. If you really focus on learning the many things the S-Pen can do, it's in a class all to itself. I've given thought to the Pixels because they're excellent phones. Each time, though, I still come back to the S-Pen's capabilities that I wouldn't have - there's just nothing out there that compares if you learn to use the S-Pen...
    06-24-2018 08:48 AM
    The Note 8 is so much more feature packed than the Pixel but where the Pixel really shines is with its camera set up. But I was able to port the Google Pixel's camera software to my Note 8 so now I have the best of both worlds.
    Do you have a link?
    gregg6942 likes this.
    06-24-2018 09:33 AM
    Do you have a link?
    Ditto
    06-25-2018 03:02 PM
    Unpopular opinion, but I don't think the Pixel2XL is in the same league as the Note 8.

Especially as a work tool, there is the note and then there is everything else.
    j_hansen likes this.
    06-26-2018 06:24 AM
    I would tend to agree, the 2xl is not in the same league as the Note 8.
    j_hansen likes this.
    06-26-2018 12:18 PM
    Note8 everyday.

- Better Display
    - MicroSD Expansion
    - Dual OIS Cameras - great for taking high quality videos and very low light images
    - 6GB RAM - Multitasking is an endless breeze
    - Samsung Pay
    - SPen - The SPen sets the Note apart from anything else on the market and makes it a true productivity tool, from content creation to document editing.
    - 3.5mm headphones jack
    - Iris Scanner

If you can, maybe even wait for Note9.
    Agree with pretty much everything you've said. I have both devices - Note 8 for work, Pixel 2 XL for personal use. I think both devices are great in what they offer, but the addition of MicroSD card expansion, Iris scanner, and a real winner for me - wireless charging, takes the Note 8 over the top. I think both cameras are great, and to my untrained eye, in some instances the Note 8 has taken better photos than the 2 XL. I've not had one problem with either device, and will probably be using both of these until next year (as long as they hold up)
    06-28-2018 08:27 AM
    You're just going to get more confused asking that question online. On the note 8 forum you're going to get the note 8 rules, go ask same question in the pixel forum and, well you know.

I will say that those are great prices. The input I'll give you, do you want more of a basic true Android experience, then the pixel is that phone. If you want the extra add on's and eye candy as I call it, the now 8 will be your choice. I like changing the themes all the time, changing the look, so Samsung wins with me, but other's like the true basic Android experience as those phones usually run smoother according to them, that I don't know, just read.
    Good luck
    06-28-2018 08:31 AM
    You're just going to get more confused asking that question online. On the note 8 forum you're going to get the note 8 rules, go ask same question in the pixel forum and, well you know.

I will say that those are great prices. The input I'll give you, do you want more of a basic true Android experience, then the pixel is that phone. If you want the extra add on's and eye candy as I call it, the now 8 will be your choice. I like changing the themes all the time, changing the look, so Samsung wins with me, but other's like the true basic Android experience as those phones usually run smoother according to them, that I don't know, just read.
    Good luck
    Well, that's exactly what I did, it's not confusing because it's the only way to get both points of view. If I was asking the forum to make my decision for me, then ya it would be confusing. But I'm looking for real world experience so it needs to come from both points of view. Thanks for weighing in with your experience 👍
    06-28-2018 09:39 AM
    Do you have a link?
    Here ya go: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/a...google-camera/

I suggest Cstark 3.6 version for Snapdragon and Miniuser133 for Exynos.
    07-07-2018 12:54 AM
    Pixel 2 removed headphone jack and Pixel 3 looks like will have the notch. Really feel shameful of this iPhone wannabe to be the "leader" of Android...
    07-08-2018 11:19 PM
    Wife has the Pixel 2 XL and I have the Note 8. She bought it to replace her older Note somewhat on impulse and somewhat so that she did not have the same phone as I do. She's regretting it a little now. Really misses the headphone port, has to watch/manage her internal storage more and misses the S-pen at times. I think if she had it to do again, she'd have gotten the Note 8.

I've played with her Pixel to set it up and for issues she has. It's okay and all. But I have zero Pixel envy over my Note 8.
    07-09-2018 07:12 AM
    I did try pixel but had to come back to note in couple of days.
    07-09-2018 08:37 PM
    No pen, no headphone jack. Those issues really make it hard for me to want a pixel. There will probably be a day when I have to buy a phone without a headphone jack, but it is not this day.
    07-10-2018 06:33 AM
    @revtech It seems your stuck with a hard choice. You can get a damn good smartphone or you can get a damn good smartphone.

I have the Note 8 and I have never used a Pixel, so anything I say will be biased towards the Note 8.

All I can say is play with both. Try to use them both in the way you would normally use a phone and see which one works best for you. Either way you're getting a damn good phone and it isn't an iPhone.

Everybody here will recommend the Note 8 over the Pixel 2XL and the ladies and gents over in the Pixel forum would recommend the Pixel 2XL over the Note 8.
    07-11-2018 07:08 PM
    The Note is like a fully loaded Lexus, it's got everything, all the bells and whistles, but can have some weird issues and might not be the best over the long haul. The pixel is like a Civic, always reliable, great fuel mileage, but no options, but it will run forever.

I have spent very little time with the pixel, and it is a very nice phone, fast, clean, excellent camera, and will do everything you want for a long period of time.
    The note has AC and cruise control. It's one handed mode blows the pixel out of the water, as does it's picture in picture. Its those options as to why I prefer samsung.
    Many of the samsung apps are better, the browser is far better, email is better as it the text app, and they can take theming and you can change the background on the message app, and have scheduled messages. It's calendar app is just as good and can change the background. However, google has many good apps as well. All those I mentioned are also just as good, and many find better. The samsung messages app doesn't have as good GIF support and Gmessages has web support. If you use Bixby the samsung apps integrate excellently and better than GA, google assistant uses everything well but not as good as samsung integrating with itself.
    As for the screen, who cares. the pixel has it's issues and the note is a lot better, but unless you are doing something special, who cares.
    Another issue. The pixel doesn't have a headphone jack, micro usb, wireless charging, pro mode on the camera. But the pixel has far better and longer security update and probably better customer service.
    07-12-2018 01:41 AM
    In the end regardless of which forum you post this in, no one can make a valid claim that one is better than the other. It's a question of what's better for you. There is not some magical experience that you will get with either phone. They both do some things differently.

Let us know what you decide.
    07-12-2018 06:32 AM
    In the end regardless of which forum you post this in, no one can make a valid claim that one is better than the other. It's a question of what's better for you. There is not some magical experience that you will get with either phone. They both do some things differently.

Let us know what you decide.
    Heavily leaning Pixel 2xl . . .
    07-12-2018 02:30 PM
    Heavily leaning Pixel 2xl . . .
    If you're leaning towards the Pixel 2XL you might consider waiting for the 3XL if you want wireless charging. I don't like that they are going with a glass back but that seems to be the way of the world. I don't think overall that the 3 will offer much more but you seem to like jumping from phone to phone. Of course you could get it now and upgrade later. I feel the same way about the Note.... You could wait for the next iteration. As far as comments that the Pixel lacks a jack, I don't see it that way. I see the adapter as an improvement because you can change the audio experience with other adapters. I'm using the adapter from the Razer phone and it kicks some serious tail. The stock adaptor isn't shabby and is better than most phones, but I really like the Razer adapter. It comes close to the LG QUAD DAC. Of course if you want to bump up the audio in the Note you can also use an adapter since it should support USB C audio but I haven't confirmed that. If audio isn't important to you than no worries but just wanted you to know there are options.
    07-12-2018 04:21 PM
    If you're leaning towards the Pixel 2XL you might consider waiting for the 3XL if you want wireless charging. I don't like that they are going with a glass back but that seems to be the way of the world. I don't think overall that the 3 will offer much more but you seem to like jumping from phone to phone. Of course you could get it now and upgrade later. I feel the same way about the Note.... You could wait for the next iteration. As far as comments that the Pixel lacks a jack, I don't see it that way. I see the adapter as an improvement because you can change the audio experience with other adapters. I'm using the adapter from the Razer phone and it kicks some serious tail. The stock adaptor isn't shabby and is better than most phones, but I really like the Razer adapter. It comes close to the LG QUAD DAC. Of course if you want to bump up the audio in the Note you can also use an adapter since it should support USB C audio but I haven't confirmed that. If audio isn't important to you than no worries but just wanted you to know there are options.
    Thanks Mike . . One of my reasons for not waiting is I can get the 2xl for 149 . . When the 3 comes out it will of course be more (probably 249 or 299 the way my plan runs) . . But yes I might still wait but I too hate glass backs, one of the lesser "pro's" of the pixel over the note for me.
    07-12-2018 09:08 PM
    Thanks Mike . . One of my reasons for not waiting is I can get the 2xl for 149 . . When the 3 comes out it will of course be more (probably 249 or 299 the way my plan runs) . . But yes I might still wait but I too hate glass backs, one of the lesser "pro's" of the pixel over the note for me.
    Sure beats what I paid. Oh.... one of the other things I despise are curved screens and they are pretty much impossible to avoid. For me though the Pixel isn't too bad because the curve is slight and it's only the glass and not the screen itself.

I can't figure out this industry....glass backs that some like to call premium, curved screens that don't dance well with screen protectors, taller phones that look weird, notches that look like something is missing and missing headphone jacks replaced with dongles for those that care.

I just wish there was one phone that had it all.
    07-12-2018 09:40 PM
    Sure beats what I paid. Oh.... one of the other things I despise are curved screens and they are pretty much impossible to avoid. For me though the Pixel isn't too bad because the curve is slight and it's only the glass and not the screen itself.

I can't figure out this industry....glass backs that some like to call premium, curved screens that don't dance well with screen protectors, taller phones that look weird, notches that look like something is missing and missing headphone jacks replaced with dongles for those that care.

I just wish there was one phone that had it all.
    So Mike, if I don't really care about wireless charging, or having an 845 vs 835, can you think of any other reason to wait for the 3xl? I guess I was concerned about display quality but so many people like yourself are fine with it (I know, ymmv, and there are some bad ones out there, but it doesn't seem to be the dumpster fire it was shaping up to be at release). It always seems like I resonate with your perspective in other posts, so I'll just simply ask if you have any complaints about your experience?
    07-13-2018 11:37 AM
29 12