Samsung Pay - MST Usage?

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
While I'm in Canada, there's a few PIN pads that don't support tap to pay (NFC). Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get MST working for Samsung Pay on my Note 8. (NFC mode works so its not a Samsung Pay issue).

Basically, on a machine like the one shown, how do I align /position the phone after scanning my fingerprint to trigger an MST transaction? I tried holding the phone flat against the card slot on the side, but it wasn't doing anything.

I've seen this with both Walmart and a portable terminal so that's why I'm guessing it's user error.

ByykVca7SguivxPAaqVR_Pinpad - iPP320 - Hand 1.jpeg

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
While I'm in Canada, there's a few PIN pads that don't support tap to pay (NFC). Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get MST working for Samsung Pay on my Note 8. (NFC mode works so its not a Samsung Pay issue).

Basically, on a machine like the one shown, how do I align /position the phone after scanning my fingerprint to trigger an MST transaction? I tried holding the phone flat against the card slot on the side, but it wasn't doing anything.

I've seen this with both Walmart and a portable terminal so that's why I'm guessing it's user error.

View attachment 285915
Wait for that symbols to show on the screen. Activate samsung pay. Hold it sideways over the screen. Other option is hold it to the side of the strip.

andytiedye

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
Someone posted a while ago that Walmart blocked Samsung & Apple Pay because they want everyone to use Walmart Pay.
I don't shop there myself so cannot verify.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I don't have any issues st walmart here and they have walmart pay. At our walmart and Sam's you need to run card as a debit.
Someone posted a while ago that Walmart blocked Samsung & Apple Pay because they want everyone to use Walmart Pay.
I don't shop there myself so cannot verify.

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Wait for that symbols to show on the screen. Activate samsung pay. Hold it sideways over the screen. Other option is hold it to the side of the strip.
I should have clarified, the machine I tried to use today didn't have NFC so it didn't show that logo.

When you say hold it to the side, are you meaning right on the swipe area, or hold my phone so the back is against the side of the terminal? (right side, given that's where you'd swipe a card)

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I should have clarified, the machine I tried to use today didn't have NFC so it didn't show that logo.

When you say hold it to the side, are you meaning right on the swipe area, or hold my phone so the back is against the side of the terminal? (right side, given that's where you'd swipe a card)
I use ones like that at Starbucks. Hold to the right but almost touching slider.

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I usually put it right above the slot, but lately I can't use it at Costco, once it beeps the readers screen goes completely blank, no way to proceed. Ugh.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Used this a.m. Worked great when I held it at a slight angle right over the circled slide area
2865477382f1eff09b7f68ced816b383.jpg

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! Never tried holding it at an angle.

Now if I can manage to try this at Walmart without the cashier getting all condescending with their "no no, no tap here" speech.

(I have read reports that Walmart Canada hasn't disabled MST for Samsung Pay as we don't have Walmart Pay).
I feel pretty confident that Walmart should work but you would need to do the transaction as a debit not a credit. I was told that once when I was at a Sam's Club and it works like a charm at both Sam's Club and Walmart and has done so very effectively for a good year or more.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site

That's how I've done it, and it usually works. It failed at Rite Aid recently, but that seems to be the result of the cashier keying it in as debit rather than credit (the terminal kept prompting for a PIN).

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
That's how I've done it, and it usually works. It failed at Rite Aid recently, but that seems to be the result of the cashier keying it in as debit rather than credit (the terminal kept prompting for a PIN).
Prompt pin you bypass and choose credit. Some terminals you hit an X others you hit a Greeb dot

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If NFC works but not MST (even when holding the phone at an angle... unfortunately you have to find the right spot where the reader is on the terminal, but yeah, most of the time it should work right on top or to a side) try uninstalling Samsung Pay, rebooting the phone, and re-installing (your cards should still be added as the account won't change, but there's a chance your bank might ask for re-confirmation to re-install the card). This happened to me (NFC worked, MST kept on failing) on the Note 7 after an update to SPay (before it was recalled) and re-installing it solved it.

Also, have you ruled out hardware issues? Does your phone charge wirelessly without problems? If it doesn't, that's usually an indication that something is wrong (and for some reason, MST is linked or can be 'diagnosed' with wireless charging).

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I actually might have done it properly at a McDonald's kiosk this afternoon. Held it at an angle to the side (not by the screen where I'd usually tap to pay) and it worked. Will try again next time I'm at Walmart.

Wireless charging works great!

anon(7901790)

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

Yes. Just hold it near where you would swipe the magnetic strip.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12