07-08-2018 05:38 AM
26 12
tools
    While I'm in Canada, there's a few PIN pads that don't support tap to pay (NFC). Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get MST working for Samsung Pay on my Note 8. (NFC mode works so its not a Samsung Pay issue).

Basically, on a machine like the one shown, how do I align /position the phone after scanning my fingerprint to trigger an MST transaction? I tried holding the phone flat against the card slot on the side, but it wasn't doing anything.

I've seen this with both Walmart and a portable terminal so that's why I'm guessing it's user error.

Samsung Pay - MST Usage?-byykvca7sguivxpaaqvr_pinpad-ipp320-hand-1.jpeg
    06-26-2018 07:48 PM
    While I'm in Canada, there's a few PIN pads that don't support tap to pay (NFC). Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get MST working for Samsung Pay on my Note 8. (NFC mode works so its not a Samsung Pay issue).

Basically, on a machine like the one shown, how do I align /position the phone after scanning my fingerprint to trigger an MST transaction? I tried holding the phone flat against the card slot on the side, but it wasn't doing anything.

I've seen this with both Walmart and a portable terminal so that's why I'm guessing it's user error.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ByykVca7SguivxPAaqVR_Pinpad - iPP320 - Hand 1.jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	285915
    Wait for that symbols to show on the screen. Activate samsung pay. Hold it sideways over the screen. Other option is hold it to the side of the strip.
    06-26-2018 07:50 PM
    Someone posted a while ago that Walmart blocked Samsung & Apple Pay because they want everyone to use Walmart Pay.
    I don't shop there myself so cannot verify.
    06-26-2018 08:22 PM
    I don't have any issues st walmart here and they have walmart pay. At our walmart and Sam's you need to run card as a debit.
    Someone posted a while ago that Walmart blocked Samsung & Apple Pay because they want everyone to use Walmart Pay.
    06-26-2018 08:24 PM
    Wait for that symbols to show on the screen. Activate samsung pay. Hold it sideways over the screen. Other option is hold it to the side of the strip.
    I should have clarified, the machine I tried to use today didn't have NFC so it didn't show that logo.

When you say hold it to the side, are you meaning right on the swipe area, or hold my phone so the back is against the side of the terminal? (right side, given that's where you'd swipe a card)
    06-26-2018 08:34 PM
    I should have clarified, the machine I tried to use today didn't have NFC so it didn't show that logo.

When you say hold it to the side, are you meaning right on the swipe area, or hold my phone so the back is against the side of the terminal? (right side, given that's where you'd swipe a card)
    I use ones like that at Starbucks. Hold to the right but almost touching slider.
    Super Dave426 likes this.
    06-26-2018 08:37 PM
    I usually put it right above the slot, but lately I can't use it at Costco, once it beeps the readers screen goes completely blank, no way to proceed. Ugh.
    06-27-2018 05:15 AM
    Used this a.m. Worked great when I held it at a slight angle right over the circled slide area
    Devhux likes this.
    06-27-2018 06:26 AM
    Used this a.m. Worked great when I held it at a slight angle right over the circled slide area https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ced816b383.jpg
    Thanks! Never tried holding it at an angle.

Now if I can manage to try this at Walmart without the cashier getting all condescending with their "no no, no tap here" speech.

(I have read reports that Walmart Canada hasn't disabled MST for Samsung Pay as we don't have Walmart Pay).
    06-27-2018 07:06 AM
    Thanks! Never tried holding it at an angle.

Now if I can manage to try this at Walmart without the cashier getting all condescending with their "no no, no tap here" speech.

(I have read reports that Walmart Canada hasn't disabled MST for Samsung Pay as we don't have Walmart Pay).
    I feel pretty confident that Walmart should work but you would need to do the transaction as a debit not a credit. I was told that once when I was at a Sam's Club and it works like a charm at both Sam's Club and Walmart and has done so very effectively for a good year or more.
    06-27-2018 07:12 AM
    That's how I've done it, and it usually works. It failed at Rite Aid recently, but that seems to be the result of the cashier keying it in as debit rather than credit (the terminal kept prompting for a PIN).
    amyf27 likes this.
    06-27-2018 07:24 AM
    That's how I've done it, and it usually works. It failed at Rite Aid recently, but that seems to be the result of the cashier keying it in as debit rather than credit (the terminal kept prompting for a PIN).
    Prompt pin you bypass and choose credit. Some terminals you hit an X others you hit a Greeb dot
    djrakowski likes this.
    06-27-2018 07:26 AM
    Prompt pin you bypass and choose credit. Some terminals you hit an X others you hit a Greeb dot
    Thanks, I'll give that a try next time!
    06-27-2018 07:43 AM
    Is it fairly quick when using MST as well?
    06-27-2018 08:23 AM
    Takes mere seconds.
    06-27-2018 08:25 AM
    Usually same speeds as NFC (from my usage).
    Devhux likes this.
    06-27-2018 11:17 AM
    If NFC works but not MST (even when holding the phone at an angle... unfortunately you have to find the right spot where the reader is on the terminal, but yeah, most of the time it should work right on top or to a side) try uninstalling Samsung Pay, rebooting the phone, and re-installing (your cards should still be added as the account won't change, but there's a chance your bank might ask for re-confirmation to re-install the card). This happened to me (NFC worked, MST kept on failing) on the Note 7 after an update to SPay (before it was recalled) and re-installing it solved it.

Also, have you ruled out hardware issues? Does your phone charge wirelessly without problems? If it doesn't, that's usually an indication that something is wrong (and for some reason, MST is linked or can be 'diagnosed' with wireless charging).
    Devhux likes this.
    06-27-2018 11:48 PM
    I actually might have done it properly at a McDonald's kiosk this afternoon. Held it at an angle to the side (not by the screen where I'd usually tap to pay) and it worked. Will try again next time I'm at Walmart.

Wireless charging works great!
    SpookDroid and 11B1P like this.
    06-28-2018 12:04 AM
    I just used Samsung Pay at Walmart just a few days ago and it worked fine.
    06-28-2018 12:20 AM

Yes. Just hold it near where you would swipe the magnetic strip.
    06-28-2018 12:21 AM
    I used Samsung Pay in MST mode at Taco Bell a few hours ago and the cashier gasped and said, "ooooo what IS that?!?" I told her what is was and explained how it worked and she said, "so, like, I know what phone I'M getting!"

I think Samsung owes me commission on this sale... Who's with me?
    amyf27 and gernerttl like this.
    06-30-2018 01:45 PM
    I used Samsung Pay in MST mode at Taco Bell a few hours ago and the cashier gasped and said, "ooooo what IS that?!?" I told her what is was and explained how it worked and she said, "so, like, I know what phone I'M getting!"

I think Samsung owes me commission on this sale... Who's with me?
    Ive gotten that kind of response too. Have even helped other customers out whem in a phone store lol.

Love that it works everywhere with far and few exception.
    djrakowski and Devhux like this.
    06-30-2018 01:50 PM
    Ive gotten that kind of response too. Have even helped other customers out whem in a phone store lol.

Love that it works everywhere with far and few exception.
    I knew you'd appreciate that, @amyf27!
    06-30-2018 02:23 PM
    I just went to a Walmart for the first time in years and I used Samsung Pay with no problems, held it over the blinking blue strip like I always do.

On a side note I used it in Rite Aid and the pharmacist was like "What's that it was so fast and easy?"
    07-07-2018 06:36 PM
    I use it every time I go to Walmart. I've only had a problem in one place... Don Quijotes. The girl canceled the transaction and said I had to use my card.
    07-07-2018 09:59 PM
26 12