Note 8 Screen Timeout/Blackout

Epitome

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone found a work around for the idiotic screen timeout? I have tried a couple of apps but with no real success as they are spotty at best on Oreo.

Sometimes I can't even get a phone number entered into the number pad or get a call answered before it blacks out. Have even hung up on a call because I activated to bring alive on bottom of screen and hit the Red Hangup Button inadvertently.

I simply don't understand why 'they' make these changes without looking at what the bigger picture for [actual users] is or Beta test so that we can feedback what has been screwed up. Suppose that is too logical.

Last edited:

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry if I am misunderstanding, but have you tried changing the screen time out in settings?
2aa6bafc2dcfaf5ca81bf49089f5b816.jpg

Epitome

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Have done this - seems to have absolutely no impact on the screen blackout I, and others, are experiencing. There are a couple of apps that this does not happen on - Message and camera/gallery, but it seems to happen every where else. The blackout time is 5 seconds or less.

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand why this would be happening. I don't have this issue on my note 8 with ATT. There must be a setting you are overlooking.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Have done this - seems to have absolutely no impact on the screen blackout I, and others, are experiencing. There are a couple of apps that this does not happen on - Message and camera/gallery, but it seems to happen every where else. The blackout time is 5 seconds or less.
I see. That is really odd. I definitely have not had that issue. I hope you find the answer. That would drive me crazy.

Jasonsc1

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I have NEVER had this happen. It spounds like you & a few others might be experiencing some fluke. It could be another app or setting interacting with the screen timeout time causing this problem. Try running the phone in SAFE Mode & see if the problem still exist, & go from there.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
No problems here either. I have screen timeout set to 30 seconds, and that is what it does.
I also have Smart Stay turned on. This features works occasionally.
You should probably return the phone if this is a new phone with all settings set correctly.