Close all apps in pie

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I have Note 8 phones under Verizon. Both phones got upgraded to pie recently. When I touch the app switcher button, I see the open apps, with a "close all" option at the top of the screen. But on my wife's phone, the "close all" is on the left side of the screen. What would cause the difference? 35447.jpg

kitmo

Sep 2, 2017
Visit site
Maybe one of you accidentally set it up differently in settings, display, navigation bar? You can configure where you want them to be placed.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
My wife and I have Note 8 phones under Verizon. Both phones got upgraded to pie recently. When I touch the app switcher button, I see the open apps, with a "close all" option at the top of the screen. But on my wife's phone, the "close all" is on the left side of the screen. What would cause the difference? View attachment 302135
One of your phones is using Good Lock and enable app switcher as list view

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I can't see that either phone has Good Lock - and from what I've searched, I don't think it's available for the Note 8. BTW, both phones have the Nova launcher.
Yours I'm suspecting has good lock app search and see if it's on it , and yes the note 8 can install it , now if that's not the case your phone is on Oreo 8.0 and hers is on pie 9.0 which you can find out by going settings >about phone and see Android version number

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I checked and both phones have Android 9. An indication may have to do with a screenshot I took on both phones.

The screenshot filename on my wife's phone was "Screenshot_20190418-213807_Samsung Experience Home.jpg"
The screenshot filename on my phone was "Screenshot_20190418-213740_Nova Launcher.jpg"

Both phones are running Nova Launcher as the home screen.

Here is what both app-switcher screens look like (mines on the left - hers is on the right).
x.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I agree both on pie
I know nova wont cause this
You said you didn't install good lock app
Her phone is correct
Yours is the problem
Have you installed any application like swift installer ,or similar?
I checked and both phones have Android 9. An indication may have to do with a screenshot I took on both phones.

The screenshot filename on my wife's phone was "Screenshot_20190418-213807_Samsung Experience Home.jpg"
The screenshot filename on my phone was "Screenshot_20190418-213740_Nova Launcher.jpg"

Here is what both app-switcher screens look like (mines on the left - hers is on the right).
View attachment 302143

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

View attachment 302143

The difference in the screenshot names could give us some clues. It seems that in your phone the Samsung Experience Home app has been disabled. Have you used Package Disabler or adb commands?

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I agree both on pie
I know nova wont cause this
You said you didn't install good lock app
Her phone is correct
Yours is the problem
Have you installed any application like swift installer ,or similar?

I did find one difference, however. For the "home screen" settings, my phone only has one item listed: "Nova Launcher" (and it's selected). Her phone has both "Nova Launcher" and "Samsung Experience Home" (and Nova is selected).

I did a Google search of "Samsung Experience Home" and in Google Play, it indicates the app is compatible with "some" of my devices. There's a checkmark next to my wife's phone, but an "x" next to mine.

I have a program called "BK Manager" which can block bloatware and other programs, and "Samsung Experience Home" was being blocked. I unblocked it, and even though it's not selected as the home screen, I now see some other screens correctly now.

Thanks for your help - you got me looking in the right direction!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I did find one difference, however. For the "home screen" settings, my phone only has one item listed: "Nova Launcher" (and it's selected). Her phone has both "Nova Launcher" and "Samsung Experience Home" (and Nova is selected).

I did a Google search of "Samsung Experience Home" and in Google Play, it indicates the app is compatible with "some" of my devices. There's a checkmark next to my wife's phone, but an "x" next to mine.

I have a program called "BK Manager" which can block bloatware and other programs, and "Samsung Experience Home" was being blocked. I unblocked it, and even though it's not selected as the home screen, I now see some other screens correctly now.

Thanks for your help - you got me looking in the right direction!
Ok now we getting somewhere
Since you disabled Samsung experience or now one ui it defaulted to the oreo style recent apps on yours, makes sense

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Ok now we getting somewhere
Since you disabled Samsung experience or now one ui it defaulted to the oreo style recent apps on yours, makes sense

The really strange thing, to me anyway, is that the Samsung experience would have any influence on the UI when Nova is the default launcher. But, that's above my pay grade.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
The really strange thing, to me anyway, is that the Samsung experience would have any influence on the UI when Nova is the default launcher. But, that's above my pay grade.
Custom launchers only control the home screens and the app drawer, other things like Recent apps, lock screen or icons on the status bar are out of their reach.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Custom launchers only control the home screens and the app drawer, other things like Recent apps, lock screen or icons on the status bar are out of their reach.
You were right on the package disabler, definitely knew it was application he installed.