Note 8 on Pie will not search for or download system updates.

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Note: The device is unlocked and I purchased the device new from a Samsung Store about 1 1/2 years ago..It is currently on April security update. The ROM has never been tampered with.

To make a short story long, I recently updated my Note 8 to Samsung's One UI Pie update.

Now the device will not look for or download system updates on WiFi, but on data (wifi off) the process works just fine.

I have
-wiped the cache 3 times.
-factory reset 3 times.
-re installed SmartSwitch 3 times.
-tried to install emergency software update through SmartSwitch and SmartSwitch crashes each time. Hence the re installs noted.
-went online with Samsung chat support and they verified the IMEI and my ownership then suggested all of the above which I did.
-reset my home wifi multiple times. All other devices on my home network are fine.

This is where it gets interesting. Each time I factory reset and begin the build process I am notified that an "unauthorized attempt" was made to reset the device to factory settings. When I search for updates during and after the build I get the error message "unable to update the software. A network or server error occurred. Try again later."
If I turn wifi off and default to data, it connects fine.

All I've previously done was update to Pie One Ui. All my apps are business conservative trusted apps, and I've never DL'd from a non trusted source.

I am stumped. Ideas to correct this would be appreciated.

Thank you

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Note: The device is unlocked and I purchased the device new from a Samsung Store about 1 1/2 years ago..It is currently on April security update. The ROM has never been tampered with.

To make a short story long, I recently updated my Note 8 to Samsung's One UI Pie update.

Now the device will not look for or download system updates on WiFi, but on data (wifi off) the process works just fine.

I have
-wiped the cache 3 times.
-factory reset 3 times.
-re installed SmartSwitch 3 times.
-tried to install emergency software update through SmartSwitch and SmartSwitch crashes each time. Hence the re installs noted.
-went online with Samsung chat support and they verified the IMEI and my ownership then suggested all of the above which I did.
-reset my home wifi multiple times. All other devices on my home network are fine.

This is where it gets interesting. Each time I factory reset and begin the build process I am notified that an "unauthorized attempt" was made to reset the device to factory settings. When I search for updates during and after the build I get the error message "unable to update the software. A network or server error occurred. Try again later."
If I turn wifi off and default to data, it connects fine.

All I've previously done was update to Pie One Ui. All my apps are business conservative trusted apps, and I've never DL'd from a non trusted source.

I am stumped. Ideas to correct this would be appreciated.

Thank you
2 things I would suggest you look at
1. Do you have a sd card in the phone ? If yes take it out and try again.
2. Go into settings > type in search bar Wifi control see what's on that can control your wifi and disable some of them that dont make sense to control wifi

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
2 things I would suggest you look at
1. Do you have a sd card in the phone ? If yes take it out and try again.
2. Go into settings > type in search bar Wifi control see what's on that can control your wifi and disable some of them that dont make sense to control wifi

Yes as you've suggested.

1. I have removed the SD card.

2. I activated wifi control (was off) on my carrier app and *poof* 20 apps from Samsung alerted me to update them. I thought for a minute I had it fixed. Unfortunately not.

Does this happen on any wi-fi network, or only your home network?

Good question. I haven't been able to test this out yet but I set up a hotspot on another device and it connects with Samsung servers just fine...but I'm thinking that's really not a wifi network, it's shared data I believe.

This is a head scratcher.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes as you've suggested.

1. I have removed the SD card.

2. I activated wifi control (was off) on my carrier app and *poof* 20 apps from Samsung alerted me to update them. I thought for a minute I had it fixed. Unfortunately not.

Good question. I haven't been able to test this out yet but I set up a hotspot on another device and it connects with Samsung servers just fine...but I'm thinking that's really not a wifi network, it's shared data I believe.

This is a head scratcher.
Try to go settings>apps>3 dots tap> reset app preference see what happens.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately no change. However I am learning from you all sorts of cool tips, and undiscovered nooks and crannies in the OS. Thanks for that.
That's a good thing :)
Check in settings >search bar type software app should pop up 2 clear data and cache in both then force stop

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

It's worth going to your local Starbucks or public library to test out other wi-fi networks. If it works there, then the issue is likely with your router. See this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roubleshooting-wi-fi-connection-problems.html.

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
It's worth going to your local Starbucks or public library to test out other wi-fi networks. If it works there, then the issue is likely with your router. See this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roubleshooting-wi-fi-connection-problems.html.

Just an update...still no love connecting to Samsung's servers on outside wifi. My next step is to contact the carrier to see if there is a bottle neck through them that requires resetting to get to Samsung's update servers..

Thank you for all your help and ideas thus far.

If this was my primary device I'd be out of my mind to get this fixed. As it is my daily driver is a Pixel 2XL which is outstanding.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you want to keep plugging away at this, try disabling IPv6 on your home router temporarily, and see if that does anything.

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I've just returned from a trip.

Yes, I've tried resetting network settings. Thank you for the continued suggestions.

I'll try disabling IPv6 and report back..

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
If you want to keep plugging away at this, try disabling IPv6 on your home router temporarily, and see if that does anything.

Unfortunately no change.

I talked to a live person at Samsung yesterday and even though this was an escalated ticket and the live agent was the escalated party, their troubleshooting steps were the same as the entry level chat person I worked with earlier. :-(

Shout out to Samsung though...I've engaged two agents for at least 30 minutes each, and they do this how many 1000's of times a month world wide? Outsourced or not that's a mean budget for support personnel with virtually no tangible ROI.

I was given the number of a certified Samsung repair facility to arrange repair but it will be on my dime since it's out of warranty now. That's likely not going to happen as I don't believe it's a firmware issue...

The carrier support tech thinks it might be connected to factory reset protection gone awry and could be a google account issue. Another rabbit hole to go down.... as summer nears, the Note 8 will be shelved and become a winter project.

Thanks everybody for your ideas, tips and assistance.

Joe Volpe

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I opened my note 8 about 3 weeks ago and it was on nougat (att) I powered it on and started smart switch ec. Was trying to check it out but KPT getting updated. (Security patches) and then Oreo! I was checking out Oreo and then MORE updates. I figured more security but ended up with pie and Samsung one UI! Which gives me hope to maybe get Q. Not likely but I didn't expect all of this. I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. I hope URS is fixed asap. The note 8 isn't the newest bit for me so far it's AWESOME. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:

jkarwow

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same issue. Everything worked fine including participating on the One UI beta. The problem only surfaced after installing the final release.

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey all, here's an update. In the Samsung members forum I discovered there are plenty with the same issue on Canadian carriers. It appears that:

a)Samsung does know about it. Apparently their support staff are not, or are not disclosing.
b)For many it appears like me, the issues popped up in April.

svtcobra

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Here's a shot in the dark. (worked on my Note 9 with the same problem) After a lot of trial-and-error, I always use a VPN. When I temporarily turn it off, presto! I don't think Samsung servers like a VPN? If you have a VPN, try turning it off temporarily and see what happens 🤔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2