08-12-2019 01:19 PM
29 12
tools
    You're right - it's getting harder and harder to upgrade often because the prices have been skyrocketing. For me, buying a phone is also an investment. It's a little difficult to stomach the pricetag... But as you've said, if your phone enables you to have more time with family and helps you more efficiently with your office/personal life/work, then it's a worthwhile investment.
    Depends on how often you upgrade. If you upgrade every year a flagship isn’t worth it...it’s simply a waste of money. A mid-range phone is more advisable because in a year that’s where you see a lot of improvements and new features from past flagships incorporated into the lower tier devices (e.g design/performance improvements and new in-screen fingerprint sensor from the A7 2018 and the A50)

If you upgrade every 2 years then I’d still advise a mid-range or premium device (e.g A50 or OnePlus 7 respectively). Only get a flagship if you can afford it.

But if you upgrade every 3 years or more, then a premium or flagship device is probably best if you need the new features/improvements or want and can afford it. Because even 3 years+ after its release, your old flagship/premium device will still have most/all the features you need and still perform relatively decently.

Those are just my rough recommendations...obviously not everyone has the same budget so it depends on your requirements from a phone, how much you plan to use it, value it and your lifestyle etc.,
    Morty2264 likes this.
    08-11-2019 12:01 PM
    Depends on how often you upgrade. If you upgrade every year a flagship isn’t worth it...it’s simply a waste of money. A mid-range phone is more advisable because in a year that’s where you see a lot of improvements and new features from past flagships incorporated into the lower tier devices (e.g design/performance improvements and new in-screen fingerprint sensor from the A7 2018 and the A50)

If you upgrade every 2 years then I’d still advise a mid-range or premium device (e.g A50 or OnePlus 7 respectively). Only get a flagship if you can afford it.

But if you upgrade every 3 years or more, then a premium or flagship device is probably best if you need the new features/improvements or want and can afford it. Because even 3 years+ after its release, your old flagship/premium device will still have most/all the features you need and still perform relatively decently.

Those are just my rough recommendations...obviously not everyone has the same budget so it depends on your requirements from a phone, how much you plan to use it, value it and your lifestyle etc.,
    I agree with you! Often times, it's not worth getting next year's iteration/flagship. For instance, I have a Google Pixel 2 and love it - and have skipped the Pixel 3. I *may* consider the Pixel 4 but it's doubtful. It all depends on what new "improvements" the manufacturer brings to the table and if said improvements are large enough to warrant the upgrade. I have a friend who's still using a V30 and has not considered getting the V50 or anything like that. Like you said, it all depends on you needs and what you can afford as well as your lifestyle.
    08-12-2019 07:27 AM
    I have a Google Pixel 2 and love it - and have skipped the Pixel 3. I *may* consider the Pixel 4 but it's doubtful.
    I feel the same way. With the Camera 3 port, the 2 has everything it looks like the 4 will have. And we still get updated to Q, so for a year, there's nothing "newer". That brings us to around October 2020 to have to even think of upgrading, and if the Pixel 5 has nothing interesting, I can wait another year on an "old" version of Android. Maybe 2 years, If they keep coming out with more of the same, and nothing new, I'll eventually have the battery in the 2 replaced and keep going.

Either give me new hardware (I upgraded from a Note 3 to a Pixel 2 for the fingerprint protection) or some new software. If we've reached the point that there's nothing new, I may wait a long time to upgrade. (I upgraded to the Note 3 in 2013 from a V551 from 2004 - the 551 did all I needed until 2013.)
    08-12-2019 12:29 PM
    I agree with you! Often times, it's not worth getting next year's iteration/flagship. For instance, I have a Google Pixel 2 and love it - and have skipped the Pixel 3. I *may* consider the Pixel 4 but it's doubtful. It all depends on what new "improvements" the manufacturer brings to the table and if said improvements are large enough to warrant the upgrade. I have a friend who's still using a V30 and has not considered getting the V50 or anything like that. Like you said, it all depends on you needs and what you can afford as well as your lifestyle.
    I agree ...and also with Rukbat’s comment, but I can’t double quote lol. I ‘still’ have the S7 Edge (it was only released in 2016 but the amount of progress since then makes it seem like an age) and it still has more or less everything I need/want. Premium build, wireless charging, IP68, expandable storage/jack, great battery and performance as well as fingerprint recognition and an amazing camera. It will only get security updates every 3 months and has the 2018 Android Oreo but that’s fine.

Clarification: When I say ‘amazing’ I mean for its time. The S7 Edge had the best camera of 2016 along with the Pixel, especially in low light. It has OIS, dual pixel autofocus and a 12MP resolution + good video capabilities with EIS. In short, perfectly capable of taking good pictures.
    08-12-2019 01:19 PM
29 12