IOS vs. Andriod???

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't really enjoy the Note line - but I do prefer Android/Samsung over iPhone.

There is more customization with Android, and a variety of phones and manufacturers to choose from. Samsung still has an excellent camera, great media and aesthetics, and if you use things like Samsung Pay, it can really add up to being a great smartphone.

iPhone/Apple is too expensive, simplistic (though that's a selling point for a lot of people, and I certainly understand that, but I myself would just get too bored with Apple because I wouldn't be able to customize/tweak anything to my specific liking), and too "popular" for me.

And the accompanying products that you need to buy exclusively for your Apple product to work to your liking (ie, headphones, chargers, etc) do not sit well with me.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
iOS, iOS devices and Apple devices has it's place...

Just bought an 11" iPad Pro to replace my 4+ year old cellular Air 2.

IMO, iPads are the best tablets out there and enjoying IpadOS with new features such as file access through the USB-C port. App experience optimized for iPads. And when I had a glitch playing with iPadOS public beta, I just did a iCloud restore of the backup it automatically took that morning and I was completely back up not missing a single app, tab in my browser, or username/password stored on each website or app... the best complete backup/restore out there compared to any Android backup.

OS Support is second to none... Again my almost 5 year old iPad Air 2. iOS 8 was released when it came out in 2014... I'm running iPadOS 13 beta and will get final. Can't get 5 years of support out of any Android device.

I really don't know if Samsung backup/restore is as good as thorough so appreciate anyone chiming in. I'm hoping if I ever have to use it, it will be as thorough as iOS device backup/restores.

Love my Note 8 and suprisingly great support in last two years... I don't think that will be continuing that consistently into year 3 and not sure if it can hang with the equivalent Apple phone into year 4+. I think I heard S7s will be getting QUARTERLY security updates going forward?? I guess 3 years out is too old for Samsung to give monthlys.

Hardware support when in warranty... Was traveling in another state when phone died. Found an Apple store... which you can find practically anywhere you go... and when I left the store, they gave me a replacement, restored the backup from iClouds and only lost a few vacation pictures taken between backup (< 24 hours). Buy a new phone, run the backup from your previous device and you are up and running within the hour with everything moved over.

If I was on travels in another state and my Note 8 died?? I know I am SOL looking for a ubreakifix and no hope of a immediate replacement.

Then throw in a little mention to iMessaging and Facetime... man I miss sending full sized pics and videos through iMessage...

Anyways, with all that being said, I love my 8... my favorite phone I've owned to date... and there are things I love on Android that I can't do on an iPhone. But just mentioning a few things I like about iOS, iOS on iPads and iOS on iPhones, support, etc,... just to give them a little love because iPhones, IMO, can hold there own and works well for the majority. :)

Last edited:

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
The majority of people use Android phones but ok lol.

I get what you mean though. iPhones have a (well deserved) reputation have ‘just working well’. It’s just that after a while, you get bored because its competitors have many more features which work equally well in most cases.

srgonu

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site
Two to three years with a phone was ok when prices were less than $500. Now if we want to continue with flagships it is too expensive. Looks like on android side it is only pixel line that gives endurance(software) like iPhones but am too used to note series (spen) since note 2 and rely on it both for personal and office work.
For me buying a phone is an investment first than entertainment as the note series with spen and DeX helps increase my productivity to spend more time with family. Tried IPhones and other android's, (pixel 2xl and OP6T) but had to rely on multiple devices to get the same work done by single note device. Just because of note 8's battery life am going to note 10 and hoping to hold it for atleast 3 years and I hope during this time android's update cycle becomes as solid as iOS.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Two to three years with a phone was ok when prices were less than $500. Now if we want to continue with flagships it is too expensive. Looks like on android side it is only pixel line that gives endurance(software) like iPhones but am too used to note series (spen) since note 2 and rely on it both for personal and office work.
For me buying a phone is an investment first than entertainment as the note series with spen and DeX helps increase my productivity to spend more time with family. Tried IPhones and other android's, (pixel 2xl and OP6T) but had to rely on multiple devices to get the same work done by single note device. Just because of note 8's battery life am going to note 10 and hoping to hold it for atleast 3 years and I hope during this time android's update cycle becomes as solid as iOS.

You're right - it's getting harder and harder to upgrade often because the prices have been skyrocketing. For me, buying a phone is also an investment. It's a little difficult to stomach the pricetag... But as you've said, if your phone enables you to have more time with family and helps you more efficiently with your office/personal life/work, then it's a worthwhile investment.

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
You're right - it's getting harder and harder to upgrade often because the prices have been skyrocketing. For me, buying a phone is also an investment. It's a little difficult to stomach the pricetag... But as you've said, if your phone enables you to have more time with family and helps you more efficiently with your office/personal life/work, then it's a worthwhile investment.

Depends on how often you upgrade. If you upgrade every year a flagship isn’t worth it...it’s simply a waste of money. A mid-range phone is more advisable because in a year that’s where you see a lot of improvements and new features from past flagships incorporated into the lower tier devices (e.g design/performance improvements and new in-screen fingerprint sensor from the A7 2018 and the A50)

If you upgrade every 2 years then I’d still advise a mid-range or premium device (e.g A50 or OnePlus 7 respectively). Only get a flagship if you can afford it.

But if you upgrade every 3 years or more, then a premium or flagship device is probably best if you need the new features/improvements or want and can afford it. Because even 3 years+ after its release, your old flagship/premium device will still have most/all the features you need and still perform relatively decently.

Those are just my rough recommendations...obviously not everyone has the same budget so it depends on your requirements from a phone, how much you plan to use it, value it and your lifestyle etc.,

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Depends on how often you upgrade. If you upgrade every year a flagship isn’t worth it...it’s simply a waste of money. A mid-range phone is more advisable because in a year that’s where you see a lot of improvements and new features from past flagships incorporated into the lower tier devices (e.g design/performance improvements and new in-screen fingerprint sensor from the A7 2018 and the A50)

If you upgrade every 2 years then I’d still advise a mid-range or premium device (e.g A50 or OnePlus 7 respectively). Only get a flagship if you can afford it.

But if you upgrade every 3 years or more, then a premium or flagship device is probably best if you need the new features/improvements or want and can afford it. Because even 3 years+ after its release, your old flagship/premium device will still have most/all the features you need and still perform relatively decently.

Those are just my rough recommendations...obviously not everyone has the same budget so it depends on your requirements from a phone, how much you plan to use it, value it and your lifestyle etc.,

I agree with you! Often times, it's not worth getting next year's iteration/flagship. For instance, I have a Google Pixel 2 and love it - and have skipped the Pixel 3. I *may* consider the Pixel 4 but it's doubtful. It all depends on what new "improvements" the manufacturer brings to the table and if said improvements are large enough to warrant the upgrade. I have a friend who's still using a V30 and has not considered getting the V50 or anything like that. Like you said, it all depends on you needs and what you can afford as well as your lifestyle. :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I have a Google Pixel 2 and love it - and have skipped the Pixel 3. I *may* consider the Pixel 4 but it's doubtful.
I feel the same way. With the Camera 3 port, the 2 has everything it looks like the 4 will have. And we still get updated to Q, so for a year, there's nothing "newer". That brings us to around October 2020 to have to even think of upgrading, and if the Pixel 5 has nothing interesting, I can wait another year on an "old" version of Android. Maybe 2 years, If they keep coming out with more of the same, and nothing new, I'll eventually have the battery in the 2 replaced and keep going.

Either give me new hardware (I upgraded from a Note 3 to a Pixel 2 for the fingerprint protection) or some new software. If we've reached the point that there's nothing new, I may wait a long time to upgrade. (I upgraded to the Note 3 in 2013 from a V551 from 2004 - the 551 did all I needed until 2013.)

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
I agree with you! Often times, it's not worth getting next year's iteration/flagship. For instance, I have a Google Pixel 2 and love it - and have skipped the Pixel 3. I *may* consider the Pixel 4 but it's doubtful. It all depends on what new "improvements" the manufacturer brings to the table and if said improvements are large enough to warrant the upgrade. I have a friend who's still using a V30 and has not considered getting the V50 or anything like that. Like you said, it all depends on you needs and what you can afford as well as your lifestyle. :)

I agree :) ...and also with Rukbat’s comment, but I can’t double quote lol. I ‘still’ have the S7 Edge (it was only released in 2016 but the amount of progress since then makes it seem like an age) and it still has more or less everything I need/want. Premium build, wireless charging, IP68, expandable storage/jack, great battery and performance as well as fingerprint recognition and an amazing camera. It will only get security updates every 3 months and has the 2018 Android Oreo but that’s fine.

Clarification: When I say ‘amazing’ I mean for its time. The S7 Edge had the best camera of 2016 along with the Pixel, especially in low light. It has OIS, dual pixel autofocus and a 12MP resolution + good video capabilities with EIS. In short, perfectly capable of taking good pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12