Folks,

Heck, maybe this goes way back, but it seems that Pie reset my notification sound. So, going in there, I just see the default junk -- Beatbox, Beep Once, Buzz, Charming Bell, etc. I go look in the Notifications folder, and there are all of the sounds that I have saved in there -- none of which show up as being available to be used for any notifications. And I don't see any of the default junk.

So, I suppose the sounds the system uses are "hidden" somewhere, and I sure don't have any file manager or whatever that can even see hidden stuff -- I haven't had the need before. I don't care if it's on my computer (Windows 7) or on my Note 8, but is there any way I can add "my" sounds to the list of notifications that my Note 8 will now use with Pie?

Thanks!
    06-17-2019 12:58 PM
    They have to be mp3 files and they have to be in a folder named Notifications (upper case N). Then restart the phone.
    06-17-2019 01:13 PM
    They have to be mp3 files and they have to be in a folder named Notifications (upper case N). Then restart the phone.
    Yep, I've had about 30 MP3 files in such a folder -- I believe the folder was there by default when I started the phone for the first time. But when I go into the notifications sounds settings, they don't show up at all. To be specific, I am looking in this folder:

Settings / Sounds and vibration / Notification sounds

When I go into those settings, I see around 30 sounds, including "Silent" at the top, along with the usual stuff -- looking at the other end, there are names like Skyline, Smile, Twinkle, Whisper, and Zip. Along with the names I mentioned above, plus some in between. None of "my" sounds, which are in the Notifications folder, show up in this list. And none of the sounds in that list show up in that Notifications folder.

I just tried renaming the following routine:

1. Went into the Notification sounds settings, and changed to a different sound.

2. Restarted the phone.

3. Renamed the Notifications folder.

4. Restarted the phone.

5. Went into the Notifications sounds settings, and didn't find anything different than what I have described above.

And so on. It's been probably well over a year since I last messed around with these sounds, so I'm presuming that it worked properly before -- it's just that the sounds got reset in presumably the Pie upgrade.

"That said," I have been screwing around with things while I've been typing this. And one thing I tried was to simply copy the Notifications folder (now renamed back to that name) from the "phone" to the "card." Bingo -- that got "my" sounds to show up in the Notification sounds list. The list still shows the original sounds, but there certainly aren't any MP3 files for those sounds in either of my now two Notifications folders.

Still, thanks for the help -- that got me to think about trying a few other things. And this worked, though now I'm hearing some "default" sounds that apparently show that I've clobbered some other settings. I'll just keep on trying to get my phone back to the way it was before Pie scrambled things.
    06-17-2019 05:53 PM