Can't change default video player in gallery or secure folder.

Rufinoman

Jul 28, 2017
Visit site
I've read dozens of how-to posts in various places on how to change the default video player, none of which have worked definitively to set VLC as the default video app.
I've reset all app preferences, set the default setting to 'always ask', but in gallery and secure folder, videos always open in Samsung Video Player.
Then I forced stop Video Player, but it didn't stay stopped.
Then I went to My Files, long pressed to select a video, went to the three dots in the top right, hit 'open with', selected VLC and then hit 'always'. That looked hopeful, anyway.
video-default_2.jpg
At that point, I felt that maybe VLC had now been set to default as per Android's implicit style default system, but no.
video-default.jpg
In gallery and secure folder, videos still open with Samsung Video Player, in spite of me resetting app preferences yet again.
In fact, in gallery, the option 'open with' is non-existent, so I feel as if I'm chasing my own tail here.
Any tips or ideas anyone?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
In Settings > Apps, open the video player that Gallery is opening (I guess VLC), and clear defaults. Other than that, Gallery may have some player hard-wired, and you can't change it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae