Note 9 cases

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
My 2¢.
I have seven cases for my Note 9.
UAG Monarch - I don't like the way it feels. It's nothing like the cases UAG originally made.

Spigen clear TPU - I forget the actual name, but it's the one that's flexible. I don't like it. TPU is not my thing any longer.

Spigen Tough Armor - (2) It is grippy and feels good in the hand, seems like it would provide decent drop protection, I just don't like the buttons. They are flush with the side of the case.

Rhinoshield Solid Suit - I use it for weekend or light duty day carry. It's a bit slippery, but is low profile and slides in and out of pocket easily.

Samsung Silicone Cover - It's very grippy, but because of this collects lint and hangs onto it. I would use this for light duty day carry if it weren't for lint and debris sticking to it. It's called "ocean blue" but does not match the ocean blue Note 9. It's more of a grey.

Samsung Rugged Protective Cover - I like this case. It's very grippy, without being tacky and seems like it would provide good drop protection. Some folks thin it's too heavy. It is a bit heavier than other cases, but if I'm not doing a side by side comparison I get used to it. I actually measured this and the Samsung Silicone Cover on the Note 9 on a kitchen scale and the difference was, with Samsung silicone 8.75 oz
and with Samsung Rugged Protective Cover 9.55 Oz. I use this case for work day carry.

WIRELESS CHARGING

Ok, I got my hands on a wireless charger and tested the following cases. All achieved fast charging with screen off only. What an odd limitation to purposely build in. I was testing in order to see if a wireless charging nav dock is an option, but with no fast charge with screen on, the idea is pointless.

UAG Monarch
Spigen Tough Armor
Spigen clear TPU (I forget the name, it's the one that's flexible)
Rhinoshield Solid Suit
Samsung Silicone Cover
Samsung Rugged Protective Cover

I have not measured each one for thickness but I did measure the Samsung Rugged Protective Cover, which I believe to be the thickest of this bunch. The thickness of the back is approximately 3.6mm.
I've read some Amazon sellers state that their wireless chargers will not work on cases thicker than 4mm.

Last edited:

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
First of all, all please understand that you can buy a new moto G for the amount of money you'll spend to replace the glass and screen ($200-$300+). In fact, this is a very expensive phone to repair anything.

The best phone case will depend whether you have insurance or not and how much protection you want to give up.

Get insurance if you can afford! It's worth it! If you don't have insurance (again $300+ to replace screen and glass), get a tough case and even a screen protector, which ruins the screen for me.

Since the EVO 4G I've had all kinds of cases for my s3, s5, s7edge, s8+ and I started with rugged cases or those ZeroLemon 10kMah batteries, almost always had insurance so I would have different cases and always changed them around depending on my mood.

I was lucky and careful to never have a cracked screen, until 4 months ago on my s8+. This one I had an Otterbox and no insurance, phone dropped on the edge of my concrete steps while I was running up the steps. I hated the bulkiness that it gave my phone but I was willing to trade the looks for protection, which it was just a bad fall and nothing the case would have done to avoid the cracking.

I refuse to ever ruin my Super AMOLED screen by putting a screen protector, the screen is the reason I stayed with Samsung. I had screen protectors on my first 3 androids and I I never kept them on since I noticed a difference on how the screen looked and felt.

With this note 9 I got insurance so I can pick cases for their looks and if the screen cracks, it will cost $40 to replace it. If anything happens again I might get something tougher.

(Spigen Neo Hybrid Galaxy Note 9 Case with Herringbone Flexible Inner Protection and Reinforced Hard Bumper Frame for Galaxy Note 9 (2018) - Ocean Blue)

No case will protect in then. If it hits a corner in the center of the screen nothing will protect it. If it falls face down on the steps it won't protect it due to the edges not coming up high enough.

The only phone case I've seen that goes over the edges is the Armadillotek case. It has raised sides.

JimmieCD

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
I've been using the Clayco case + screen protector. So far it is great. Screen is sensitive, wireless fast charging, Samsung Pay both work. Very nice case, highly recomended.

murphy1983

Jan 5, 2019
Visit site
It's the Spigen Neo Hybrid in the ocean blue/yellow.

Attachments

• 20190105_081213.jpg
    20190105_081213.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 20190105_081136.jpg
    20190105_081136.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 36
  • 20190105_081440.jpg
    20190105_081440.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 35

murphy1983

Jan 5, 2019
Visit site
It has decent size lips at the top and bottom if you like laying your phone face down and hardly adds any size to the phone. Highly rated on Amazon too.

Mike_Luchia

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
It has decent size lips at the top and bottom if you like laying your phone face down and hardly adds any size to the phone. Highly rated on Amazon too.

Once I manage to find a Note 9 at my local Costco in Canada this is one of 3 cases I'm considering. (the other two being the Otterbox Defender in Dark Lake https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07GNNL7GP...hawk-future-ca-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6436994 and the UAG Monarch Feather-Light Rugged [Crimson] https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07G8JBDXJ...hawk-future-ca-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6436994

murphy1983

Jan 5, 2019
Visit site
My buddy has a Note 9 and that same UAG case you're looking at, its a nice case but its a good bit bigger than the Neo Hybrid, a deal breaker for me. I'm betting that's the case with the Otterbox, as well. Looks like all 3 offer about the same amount of protection.

Mike_Luchia

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
My buddy has a Note 9 and that same UAG case you're looking at, its a nice case but its a good bit bigger than the Neo Hybrid, a deal breaker for me. I'm betting that's the case with the Otterbox, as well. Looks like all 3 offer about the same amount of protection.

From past experience with all three cases on other phones, the Otterbox is by far the most heavy duty. A close second would be the UAG and the Neo Hybrid a bit lighter than that. All three area great cases, they just have their own uses and preferences.

I'm a huge case junkie so I'm hoping that once I've managed to get the Note 9 I'll be able to pick one or two of the best for my needs and stop there.

Mike

AirMech74

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Love Spigen cases, but I will never buy another clear case again, at least not the soft ones....here is why. I've washed that case many many times over the last couple of yrs

Phone case.jpg

kitoii

Jan 18, 2019
Visit site
The only case I have is the Rhinoshield SolidSuit. I want to get the UAG Plasma Ash but when I got my Note 9, the store didn't have it in stock anymore. I do not want to use the phone naked so I bought the Rhinoshield. Good case it added only a little bit of bulk to the phone. For now I'm happy with this case but I will still be getting the UAG in the future.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
UAG is probably the best in terms of phone protection, protected my s8 for close to 2 years no issues. the case is kinda worn now but it did it's job.

Mike_Luchia

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
UAG is probably the best in terms of phone protection, protected my s8 for close to 2 years no issues. the case is kinda worn now but it did it's job.
I'd love the UAG Monarch in Red but can't take $70 Canadian. Bought the Spigen Neo Hybrid in blue and yellow. Only $20 and always had good luck with Spigen cases.
7988b417d11ce857e25a1b34457a5fba.jpg

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
It's expensive, cheapest is 40 bucks and I'm looking at the protective rugged case.. I need to order tonight to get here by friday. phone coming wednesday

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084