I currently own a Galaxy Note 9, about 1.5 years old, that has recently begun to exhibit an issue where the screen does not light when the home or unlock key is pressed. The phone still vibrates in response, but the screen only kicks on about 30% of the time. That being said, the screen is still responsive-- I've been getting it to reboot by pressing in the general area of the where the reboot button is, and it still works. After a successful reboot, the screen always lights correctly, and behaves as normal until the phone is locked again.

Some background - The phone has been dropped, and has several shatter cracks on the bottom right edge of the screen. As a result, I've gotten about 7 of the pink pixel lines, but other than that I have had no previous issues with the screen. Booting into safe mode appeared to have helped in some cases, but the issue does still persist in safe mode. To my knowledge, I have all the most recent software updates, and have tried clearing the cache partition. This issue appeared about a week ago, but worsened significantly beginning yesterday morning, on June 5th at time of posting. In addition, for two days in a row, the issue seems to improve around nighttime, regardless of troubleshooting measures. Could be just lucky coincidence, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
    06-07-2020 02:16 AM
    Welcome.

I am inclined to think that this is either hardware damage or hardware failure, which if true would need diagnosis by a repairer.
    Other members may have other thoughts about it.
    mustang7757 and Scrapspectyr like this.
    06-07-2020 06:05 AM
    It's strong possibility the screen is going need replacing and further diagnosis inside the phone , can try safe mode also .

[Moved to Note 9 forums]
    Scrapspectyr likes this.
    06-07-2020 11:31 PM
    Also back up your information now while still can get into the phone just in case .
    06-07-2020 11:41 PM
    Thanks for the pointers! I wouldn't at all be surprised if it was hardware failure or something like that.
    06-08-2020 07:56 PM
    Thanks for the pointers! I wouldn't at all be surprised if it was hardware failure or something like that.
    Had the same problem with mine not too long ago. In addition when I cranked the brightness all the way up, the screen went to solid black. New screen and back good as new. In addition, while they had the screen out, I believe they replaced the battery also. UBreakIFix, about $280 and done in about 2 hours.
    jimd1050 and Scrapspectyr like this.
    06-08-2020 08:14 PM