Strange message pop-up on Note 9.

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Ok. Every couple of days I get a message that pops up at the bottom if my screen. Happens during different apps, different times, different actions. I've been trying to get an actual screen shot but it only appears for about 4-5 seconds then fades out. I went to notification history and found this a few minutes ago.

Can't install app. App not optimized for use with Secure Folder.

2020-07-03 18:13:42

What app is causing this and why is it trying to put it in my secure folder? I've opened the secure folder and nothing appears amiss. All normal. All apps up to date, everything else running fine. Galaxy store and play store both seem happy.

Note 9, ETF3. And I can't remember if this started before or after ETF3 installation. AT&T.

EDIT: Forgot to add. Cleared cache, rebooted x2, several times in the past week or so

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Ok. Downloaded and installed. I trimmed that quote above because I wasn't sure what it meant

Toast Message
Can't install app. App not optimized for use with Secure Folder.

2020-07-03 18:13:42

But toast wasn't installed until after.
Try Toast Source to determine which app is giving you that toast notification.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so are you saying that Toast Source can't identify that since it wasn't installed until after the message? Then wait until the next time the message occurs -- hopefully it won't take too long.

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so are you saying that Toast Source can't identify that since it wasn't installed until after the message? Then wait until the next time the message occurs -- hopefully it won't take too long.
Uh. No. It said toast message BEFORE I installed toast source. That's what threw me. After installing it, I had some bugs pop up such as it wouldn't activate so I'm trying the other one

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Hmm...force close Android system , might be glitch .

Ok.. Trying that old I.T. procedure. GTS. Google that S..... uh.. Stuff. Found a few entries with that error message. Most were in the US Samsung forum for the S9. 3 pages of questions with no answers. Found one on Android Central. Was happy until I found it was my post. <sigh>

Trying MBAM now Gonna see if that can find something.
I've done Reboots
I've done deleting the Cache partition
I've run Device Optimization

It's not really anything other than an irritant. Pops up every few hours at the bottom of the screen then fades out after a few seconds. But the most entries through Google, is the S9, with AT&T as a carrier. Which makes me think that AT&T is the culprit.

Now this is the Note 9 that I've had nothing but problems with since 2.0 came out.

Late into February before 2.0 finally installed. Then nothing until May when I gave up and had a factory restore done when I had screen replaced. Then Updated via Odin (Thank you @mustang7757) up to the last time I used Odin I got to 2.1.

Just got the MBAM report back with nothing found. Running Deep scan now. After this, I'll force close Android System, shut down, clear cache and reboot and see what happens then.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok.. Trying that old I.T. procedure. GTS. Google that S..... uh.. Stuff. Found a few entries with that error message. Most were in the US Samsung forum for the S9. 3 pages of questions with no answers. Found one on Android Central. Was happy until I found it was my post. <sigh>

Trying MBAM now Gonna see if that can find something.
I've done Reboots
I've done deleting the Cache partition
I've run Device Optimization

It's not really anything other than an irritant. Pops up every few hours at the bottom of the screen then fades out after a few seconds. But the most entries through Google, is the S9, with AT&T as a carrier. Which makes me think that AT&T is the culprit.

Now this is the Note 9 that I've had nothing but problems with since 2.0 came out.

Late into February before 2.0 finally installed. Then nothing until May when I gave up and had a factory restore done when I had screen replaced. Then Updated via Odin (Thank you @mustang7757) up to the last time I used Odin I got to 2.1.

Just got the MBAM report back with nothing found. Running Deep scan now. After this, I'll force close Android System, shut down, clear cache and reboot and see what happens then.
Ok keep us posted, your welcome!

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Ok keep us posted, your welcome!

Eh.. not that worried about it. I got a feeling that it's an app that is in the secure folder that isn't setup for 2.1 yet. Eventually, the app will be updated and all will be well since this started with 2.1

Appreciated the help though people..

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Eh.. not that worried about it. I got a feeling that it's an app that is in the secure folder that isn't setup for 2.1 yet. Eventually, the app will be updated and all will be well since this started with 2.1

Appreciated the help though people..
It's possible, let's see after you force stop Andriod system.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are either the Play Store or the Galaxy Store set to update apps automatically? If so, try turning that function off.

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Play store yes
Galaxy store no, notification only
Force stopped Android System. (Forgot, rebooted and had to turn force off again)

As you can tell, I'm really panicked about this. LOL

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
I think we have success. Opened secure folder, checked each app one by one. Excel had updated OUTSIDE the secure folder, but not INSIDE the folder. No indication of an update inside the folder. Until I searched for updates inside the folder, nothing was found. Manually ran update on it and word. 4 hours later, still no message popping up.
We'll see how it goes for the rest of the evening.
Thanks again guys!

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
After 8 hours of not popping up, according to nice catch it popped up twice last night. Oh well. Back to the drawing board. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC