09-08-2020 12:19 PM
52 123
tools
    A thousand quid for a plastic phone?
    No Samsung. Just no!
    Samsung announced both the Note 20, and its big brother, Note 20 Ultra today.
    While the Ultra looks likely to once again end the year at the top, or at least fairly close to the top of the flagship food chain, (thus justifying at least some of that hefty price tag attached), the same cannot be said of the somewhat confusing Note 20. It falls short in my humble opinion, ending up as more footnote than Note...
    My big gripe is, how do you justify a thousand dollars for a plastic phone in 2020. Struck me how much of a good deal the Note 9 was, or is in comparison. Especially when speaking in terms of premium finish and storage options, (storage on the Note 20 is non-expandable).
    This is the generation of Note I'll be looking to upgrade to. To be able to afford the Note 20 Ultra, I might well have to resort to selling a kidney or two. Hey, you make peace with your inner consumerism coupled as it is with a love for smartphones, and learn to get on with it. However the Note 20? Meh!
    Basically wondering if anyone else rocking the Note 9 will be making the jump over the next year or so, and which of the latest additions to the Note family will you be looking to embrace?
    08-05-2020 12:12 PM
    Basically they want to get the ultra
    08-05-2020 12:14 PM
    Basically they want to get the ultra
    Would seem so. The vanilla Note 20 makes very little sense.
    08-05-2020 12:17 PM
    It's like a car dealer with a V4 and a V8 version of their latest Lamborghini for sale. He offers the former for $300K and the latter for $340K. The V4 , however,looks and moves like a Mazda RX7 but still has the Lamborghini mascot on it. Of course the V8 looks and has the performance of its predecessors.
    tube517 and Noted Nine like this.
    08-05-2020 01:35 PM
    A thousand quid for a plastic phone?
    No Samsung. Just no!
    Samsung announced both the Note 20, and its big brother, Note 20 Ultra today.
    While the Ultra looks likely to once again end the year at the top, or at least fairly close to the top of the flagship food chain, (thus justifying at least some of that hefty price tag attached), the same cannot be said of the somewhat confusing Note 20. It falls short in my humble opinion, ending up as more footnote than Note...
    My big gripe is, how do you justify a thousand dollars for a plastic phone in 2020. Struck me how much of a good deal the Note 9 was, or is in comparison. Especially when speaking in terms of premium finish and storage options, (storage on the Note 20 is non-expandable).
    This generation of Note is the one I'll be looking to upgrade to. To be able to afford the Note 20 Ultra, I might well have to resort to selling a kidney or two. Hey, you make peace with your inner consumerism coupled as it is with a love for smartphones, and learn to get on with it. However the Note 20? Meh!
    Basically wondering if anyone else rocking the Note 9 will be making the jump over the next year or so, and which of the latest additions to the Note family will you be looking to embrace?
    I'm not interested in upgrading my 512gb Note 9 until VZW replaces LTE with 5G. Right now VZW 5G has virtually no coverage in MA.

As for plastic Note 20 I prefer plastic and flat glass. Plastic weighs less than a glass back and is more durable than glass. My phone is always in a case so why would I want glass on the back? I definitely don't want a curved screen to use with a stylus.
    tube517, jimd1050 and Apple2Droid like this.
    08-05-2020 02:19 PM
    It's like a car dealer with a V4 and a V8 version of their latest Lamborghini for sale. He offers the former for $300K and the latter for $340K. The V4 , however,looks and moves like a Mazda RX7 but still has the Lamborghini mascot on it. Of course the V8 looks and has the performance of its predecessors.
    *Splutter... This!
    Too right
    08-05-2020 03:57 PM
    I'll get that Note 20...in two years on eBay. Probably pay about $400.00, or less.
    08-05-2020 05:30 PM
    Frankly, I see insanity on the forum with folks who have traded from a Note 9... to a Note 10+... to an S20 Ultra 512gb and now to a Note20 Ultra all in the same time I've had the Note 9. Look, it's their money, they can do their thing, mine is in my pocket, my Note 9 is rocking along very well. I'm going to keep it through next year when I still keep on receiving security updates.
    jimd1050, tube517, Fit24 and 2 others like this.
    08-06-2020 07:23 AM
    Frankly, I see insanity on the forum with folks who have traded from a Note 9... to a Note 10+... to an S20 Ultra 512gb and now to a Note20 Ultra all in the same time I've had the Note 9. Look, it's their money, they can do their thing, mine is in my pocket, my Note 9 is rocking along very well. I'm going to keep it through next year when I still keep on receiving security updates.
    I feel the same way about my Note 9. I see no reason to trade led notifications for 5G and 120Hz. I won't see the difference in the screen at 720p and I don't play games so I have no use for the faster processor. VZW won't allow streaming 4K nor even 1080p so what good is a better screen unless you are a gamer?
    tube517 and otis stansberry like this.
    08-06-2020 08:38 AM
    I'll hopefully pre-order or pick up an Ultra once they are in the stores.

Can't wait!
    debdroid1a likes this.
    08-06-2020 08:40 AM
    I'm keeping my Note 9. Just got One UI 2.1 + Good Lock and this phone is fantastic.

The next phone I'll buy is the LG V60. Waiting for prices to drop on that one. Maybe buy one Black Friday or early 2021. I can wait. I doubt 5G is coming anytime soon to my area.

If I get the urge, I will buy the Note 20 in 2022. The specs are future proof and with 3 OS updates, it will still be fine to buy that down the road if I really want one.
    Medevac1 likes this.
    08-06-2020 10:57 AM
    I'm on the fence.
    I was tempted with the 10+ and even looked at tmobile. But at the time I had to pay a large amount just to get it in my hands (tmobile has a messed up credit rating). This time my Note 9 will be paid off (one more payment) and I could keep it. However, there is the price of the 20 Ultra, so that stops me, unless I trade in my 9. But if I keep the 20U until it's paid off, for 2 years, it's not too bad and I could keep the 9 for a back up. Then there's carrying around a very expensive phone, at least for the first year, and I feel extra protective of it.

UGH.

I'll wait and see what T-mobile has tomorrow on their pre-orders, yes, they're a day late. Maybe just wait and see if I will pick up one day when I need some shopping therapy and every other store is closed.
    08-06-2020 11:09 AM
    If you can, why not?

In the scheme of things it's pretty minor. But if you have the bug, you have the bug.

jimd1050 likes this.
    08-06-2020 11:12 AM
    If you can, why not?

In the scheme of things it's pretty minor. But if you have the bug, you have the bug.
    I can buy any of the newer phones, why? The Note 9 is rocking strong. Enjoy your new Note 20 Ultra.
    08-06-2020 12:18 PM
    I will, thanks.

Loved my 9, great device.
    debdroid1a likes this.
    08-06-2020 01:48 PM
    I've been reading about the Note 20 Ultra 5G and it really looks like a nice phone. One thing that sticks in my craw is when they call it a pc in your pocket. Powerful? Absolutely. Able to eliminate the need for a PC? In many situations yes. Fast and impressive. Yup... but you know why it's not even close to a pc in your pocket?

When I changed jobs 8 or 9 years ago I bought what was then called a netbook. It was a fast pc that was very light and powerful and has performed spectacularly for ALL THESE YEARS. Even though it came with Windows 8 IT STILL GETS SECURITY UPDATES and if I want to replace the built in battery I can still get one. Now try that with a Note 20 Ultra Although the Note costs about the same as my pc did (allowing for inflation) Samsung will only update it for perhaps 2 years followed by maybe one additional year of security updates IF YOU'RE LUCKY. After those 3 years the phone will have virtually no value and parts will be hard to find.

I got my money's worth from my Asus Zenbook. I still use it and intend to for the foreseeable future. Good luck using a Note 20 Ultra for 8 or 9 years.

If Samsung wants to price their flagship like a flagship pc they should support it as long as Windows would support a flagship pc.
    otis stansberry likes this.
    08-06-2020 02:38 PM
    I've been reading about the Note 20 Ultra 5G and it really looks like a nice phone. One thing that sticks in my craw is when they call it a pc in your pocket. Powerful? Absolutely. Able to eliminate the need for a PC? In many situations yes. Fast and impressive. Yup... but you know why it's not even close to a pc in your pocket?

When I changed jobs 8 or 9 years ago I bought what was then called a netbook. It was a fast pc that was very light and powerful and has performed spectacularly for ALL THESE YEARS. Even though it came with Windows 8 IT STILL GETS SECURITY UPDATES and if I want to replace the built in battery I can still get one. Now try that with a Note 20 Ultra Although the Note costs about the same as my pc did (allowing for inflation) Samsung will only update it for perhaps 2 years followed by maybe one additional year of security updates IF YOU'RE LUCKY. After those 3 years the phone will have virtually no value and parts will be hard to find.

I got my money's worth from my Asus Zenbook. I still use it and intend to for the foreseeable future. Good luck using a Note 20 Ultra for 8 or 9 years.

If Samsung wants to price their flagship like a flagship pc they should support it as long as Windows would support a flagship pc.
    I never get that lucky. My netbook with windows 8 died. My tiny laptop kind of works, but I didn't get enough memory for updates. I bought a larger one with more memory for updates and hopefully long lasting, but the screen is about dead, won't stay on and past any warranty (of course). All different brands.

I've had better luck with my phones. My Note 5 is finally giving up, but still somewhat usable. I found an old LG Envy2 that I used for 2 years, even watching TVshows on the tiny screen, and powered it on, and it did power on (no phone service).

So my phones are my PCs as best they can be used. Maybe the Note 20 Ultra is for me.
    08-06-2020 07:00 PM
    Should've gone with Asus. I've never had a pc that didn't last more than 3 years. I have a Note 3 that still works but no more security updates. My point isn't that Samsung builds crappy phones - it is that they don't support them long enough to charge as much as a pc that gets maybe 10 years of free security updates from Windows. Samsung should do the same.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    08-06-2020 07:05 PM
    Should've gone with Asus. I've never had a pc that didn't last more than 3 years. I have a Note 3 that still works but no more security updates. My point isn't that Samsung builds crappy phones - it is that they don't support them long enough to charge as much as a pc that gets maybe 10 years of free security updates from Windows. Samsung should do the same.
    Probably correct. My netbook was a Dell, little laptop Acer, my big laptop HP. I keep trying to find one that will work.

But I still stand by my phone is my little handheld computer that lasts.
    08-06-2020 09:18 PM
    Do you use your PC under water? LOL
    jimd1050 likes this.
    08-06-2020 09:20 PM
    Do you use your PC under water? LOL
    Lol. Maybe that would have helped. 😄
    Apple2Droid likes this.
    08-07-2020 03:35 AM
    My wife and I pre-ordered Note 20 Ultra's, but I'm suffering from cold feet a little. I love my Note 9, it's been a solid phone for me and battery life is still very good. Paid cash up front for it, so it's not owed me anything for a long time. But Verizon has some smoking deals. I'm getting $500 off of each phone by trading in some old phones (S7E, Pixel 2 XL). The $1000, in our case, is spread over 24 months as a bill credit, but we are not changing carriers anyway, so not a big deal. Also Samsung is giving $150 gift cards once you get the phone and download their shopping app. So it adds up to half off. Pretty sure those old phones will never be worth $500 again on a trade in deal like this, so I feel it's the time to jump. But it's sure not because of any shortcomings of the Note 9. Still a great phone.
    jimd1050 likes this.
    08-07-2020 06:26 AM
    What are you going to do with your Note 9?
    08-07-2020 06:48 AM
    plastic phones Don't break as easy as glass.
    recDNA, jimd1050 and Apple2Droid like this.
    08-07-2020 07:23 AM
    Note 9 has better screen ratio and higher ppi than any Samsung flagship since.
    08-07-2020 08:02 AM
52 123