Garbled call

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
So lately when I call someone on the phone they complain that they can't understand me. I can hear them perfectly in the ear piece. This happens from multiple locations so I don't think it's a network issue. Today I reset my carrier settings to no avail. As I called my mom I turned on speakerphone and she said it got way better and she could understand me. Does speaker phone use a different mic setup or can anyone explain how this would fix my issue? Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, speakerphone typically relies on the secondary mic at the top of the phone. Inspect the primary mic at the bottom and make sure it's not blocked by any debris.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ok , have you tried safe mode make some some calls see how it is , also turn off wifi calling if enabled .

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try also recording a test video with plenty of ambient sound, and first block the the primary mic hole, then block the secondary mic hole. When you play the video back, does the audio channel corresponding with the secondary mic hole still sound garbled?

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Try also recording a test video with plenty of ambient sound, and first block the the primary mic hole, then block the secondary mic hole. When you play the video back, does the audio channel corresponding with the secondary mic hole still sound garbled?
I tried with a tv show playing and when I blocked off the top mic I could barely hear the tv show. Block off the bottom mic and could hear fine. I have been having an issue with my usb c port and charging and low and behold a new port includes the lower mic. So I ordered one for $10 and just installed it. It helped tremendously. People now hear me fine in the few calls I have made. Even in the members app the mic test doesn't sound like I'm 100 feet away anymore.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I tried with a tv show playing and when I blocked off the top mic I could barely hear the tv show. Block off the bottom mic and could hear fine. I have been having an issue with my usb c port and charging and low and behold a new port includes the lower mic. So I ordered one for $10 and just installed it. It helped tremendously. People now hear me fine in the few calls I have made. Even in the members app the mic test doesn't sound like I'm 100 feet away anymore.

Either there's some debris lodged deeper in the primary mic hole that isn't apparent on visual inspection, or the mic itself is faulty. Try using a toothbrush to clean out the mic opening. If the problem persists, then you may have to bring the phone to a repair shop.

You also tested it in Safe Mode as suggested by mustang7757, right?

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Either there's some debris lodged deeper in the primary mic hole that isn't apparent on visual inspection, or the mic itself is faulty. Try using a toothbrush to clean out the mic opening. If the problem persists, then you may have to bring the phone to a repair shop.

You also tested it in Safe Mode as suggested by mustang7757, right?
Yes. I tested it. I just replaced the mic/usbc port. It fixed my issue. When I had the glass back off I used compressed air to blow the bottom speaker port and mic port out from the inside out. There was a small white piece of something in the mic port. So I don't know if it was that or a bad mic or a combo of both. Regardless the usbc port was bad so it needed replaced anyways.

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Great! Sounds like you definitely know your way inside a phone.:)
I changed the battery a couple of times in my old note 5 that had the glass back. I had it till I got the note 9. I certainly like to fix what I can and this is still a great phone. I will keep it till it won't suit my needs. Hopefully another year or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams