Note 20 vs Note 9 comparisons.

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
What are the thoughts on the Note 20 compared to the note 9? For some reason I'm thinking that it's not a good move but I don't remember why I'm thinking that. Thoughts? Experiences?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The Note 9 was one of the best phone's I ever owned, if it's running great then stick with it , Note 20U is little more up to date design,camera, pretty much lot of areas and will get support much longer .

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
The Note 9 was one of the best phone's I ever owned, if it's running great then stick with it , Note 20U is little more up to date design,camera, pretty much lot of areas and will get support much longer .
Yes I love the note 9. But I know it's not going to be getting much for other updates. Right now T-Mobile has a $500 trade in towards a new note 20 any version, and any version of the s20 or S21. The woman on the phone thought there were rumors there could be a new Note coming out in November. But I don't think that's correct. Just for some reason I thought there were a lot of negatives to the note 20.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yes I love the note 9. But I know it's not going to be getting much for other updates. Right now T-Mobile has a $500 trade in towards a new note 20 any version, and any version of the s20 or S21. The woman on the phone thought there were rumors there could be a new Note coming out in November. But I don't think that's correct. Just for some reason I thought there were a lot of negatives to the note 20.
Yeah definitely if you can get some deals be tempting, but Note 20u nothing negative about this Note .

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Right now, Samsung is offering $450 trade in and rebate for Note 9 to Note 20Ultra unlocked. $749... very attractive. I've been on the fence, still running Note 9 VZ... as Mustang pointed out, and I totally agree... a simply phenomenal phone. The 3.5mm Jack, for me, has been essential. The speed of the phone is excellent, as is the display. Reception even in remote areas of the West, the best on any phone. On third replacement battery, courtesy of VZ extended warranty, keeping me in action. OS updates ended, security updates continue, until when, I haven't been able to get that info from Sammy or Verizon. Don't know what at this point will transition to, would like to keep this phone as a backup.

Ok... I've read a lot on the Note 20 Ultra, there are positives and negatives with the phone. If folks want to share their ACTUAL experiences with the Note 20 Ultra, including the bulbous camera hump and loss of the Jack, go for it. I'll keep an open mind...

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Right now, Samsung is offering $450 trade in and rebate for Note 9 to Note 20Ultra unlocked. $749... very attractive. I've been on the fence, still running Note 9 VZ... as Mustang pointed out, and I totally agree... a simply phenomenal phone. The 3.5mm Jack, for me, has been essential. The speed of the phone is excellent, as is the display. Reception even in remote areas of the West, the best on any phone. On third replacement battery, courtesy of VZ extended warranty, keeping me in action. OS updates ended, security updates continue, until when, I haven't been able to get that info from Sammy or Verizon. Don't know what at this point will transition to, would like to keep this phone as a backup.

Ok... I've read a lot on the Note 20 Ultra, there are positives and negatives with the phone. If folks want to share their ACTUAL experiences with the Note 20 Ultra, including the bulbous camera hump and loss of the Jack, go for it. I'll keep an open mind...
Camera bump not a issue in a case and close to flush, headphone jack missing not a issue, usbc headphones came with it , dongle can use and leave it attached to headphones or Bluetooth , everything else is really a upgrade over the note 9.
*120hz screen
*Battery on par with note 9
*I believe the screen less curved then note 9 , can't remember but I think so .
*Reverse wireless charging
*Cameras much better
*S pen latency much better
*Less bezels
*Already 5G ready , much better future proof

Stuff to absorb if thinking to switch to Note 20U

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Camera bump not a issue in a case and close to flush, headphone jack missing not a issue, usbc headphones came with it , dongle can use and leave it attached to headphones or Bluetooth , everything else is really a upgrade over the note 9.
*120hz screen
*Battery on par with note 9
*I believe the screen less curved then note 9 , can't remember but I think so .
*Reverse wireless charging
*Cameras much better
*S pen latency much better
*Less bezels
*Already 5G ready , much better future proof

Stuff to absorb if thinking to switch to Note 20U

Very Nice update... Thanks!

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm just trying to decide because eventually the note 9 will not be worth much for a trade in. Probably best to trade it in and get some value before rather than later maybe. Hoping that some rumors might be true that possibly next year there could be another note come out. But how much would the note 9 be worth then? Almost 3 years old now I got it August 2018 when it first came out.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm just trying to decide because eventually the note 9 will not be worth much for a trade in. Probably best to trade it in and get some value before rather than later maybe. Hoping that some rumors might be true that possibly next year there could be another note come out. But how much would the note 9 be worth then? Almost 3 years old now I got it August 2018 when it first came out.
True , have you checked what the Note 9 trade in worth for Note 20u?

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I called VZ today, they tell me $560 for my Note 9 in trade for the Note 20U. I stopped by the local VZ store just now - they haven't had the 20U for 6 weeks and don't know when they might get one.
They're talking about Samsung releasing a new phone any day. I don't pay attention to this stuff, so have no idea. Wonder if a new release would affect the current $560 trade-in value of my Note 9?
I'm really on the fence - the Note 9's been a great phone but it's not holding its charge, and updates are a thing of the past...

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I called VZ today, they tell me $560 for my Note 9 in trade for the Note 20U. I stopped by the local VZ store just now - they haven't had the 20U for 6 weeks and don't know when they might get one.
They're talking about Samsung releasing a new phone any day. I don't pay attention to this stuff, so have no idea. Wonder if a new release would affect the current $560 trade-in value of my Note 9?
I'm really on the fence - the Note 9's been a great phone but it's not holding its charge, and updates are a thing of the past...
Supposedly there's not going to be a new note this year maybe never. There's supposed to be some new fold phone or something. T-Mobile it was offering $500 trade in. But I'm not sure if I want the note 20 or not. It's also for the s20 and s21

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Supposedly there's not going to be a new note this year maybe never. There's supposed to be some new fold phone or something. T-Mobile it was offering $500 trade in. But I'm not sure if I want the note 20 or not. It's also for the s20 and s21

Aha... That would make things a bit easier. IF there's no new Note in the future I would probably go for the 20U. Who knows the answer to THAT question??

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
After talking again with VZ this afternoon I decided to go with the Note 20U. Given the shortened battery life, lack of OS updates, etc., AND the trade-in value of $680 for the Note 9, it's time for me to make the move. I changed plans to get an add'l. $120 trade-in - went to the Play More Unlimited, which is the same cost with more data before throttling and includes Hulu Disney & ESPN which aren't a big deal to me.
20U is backordered until the 17th FYI...

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Well, speaking as someone whose ridden the Note 9 for almost 3 straight years, a flat-out record for me, I have finally reached the point I could make a move, and after agonizing over a number of points, I noticed that as the 5G is getting installed around me, the 4G bandwidth is taking a nosedive. That made my decision for me. 4G on AT&T where I'm at has gone from the 30s and 40 Mbps range to sub-10. That dog don't hunt, in my book. It forced my hand, and earlier this evening, I found a reasonable deal for a Note 20 5G that's seen about 6 months of service, it is fully unlocked already with evidence shown. Has a couple of scratches, but I'll deal with that, it goes into a case upon arrival. But, for $20 less than one idjit selling a bad ESN phone, I get a much newer and more capable phone. I looked at S21s, and missed a couple of deals, but I prefer the Note, anyway.

I still love my Note 9, don't get me wrong. It has been an amazing ride, and I'll finally be back to using a single phone again. My "active" phone is a Samsung J2 Core, and it is agonizing to use. Press a button, wait 9-10 seconds for the phone to finally respond. It drives me bonkers.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Well, speaking as someone whose ridden the Note 9 for almost 3 straight years, a flat-out record for me, I have finally reached the point I could make a move, and after agonizing over a number of points, I noticed that as the 5G is getting installed around me, the 4G bandwidth is taking a nosedive. That made my decision for me. 4G on AT&T where I'm at has gone from the 30s and 40 Mbps range to sub-10. That dog don't hunt, in my book. It forced my hand, and earlier this evening, I found a reasonable deal for a Note 20 5G that's seen about 6 months of service, it is fully unlocked already with evidence shown. Has a couple of scratches, but I'll deal with that, it goes into a case upon arrival. But, for $20 less than one idjit selling a bad ESN phone, I get a much newer and more capable phone. I looked at S21s, and missed a couple of deals, but I prefer the Note, anyway.

I still love my Note 9, don't get me wrong. It has been an amazing ride, and I'll finally be back to using a single phone again. My "active" phone is a Samsung J2 Core, and it is agonizing to use. Press a button, wait 9-10 seconds for the phone to finally respond. It drives me bonkers.
I had a great journey as well with my Note 9 .

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Received the Note 20U and am attempting to use Smart Switch to get everything from the Note 9 moved. When I connect USB C to USB C nothing happens. Do I need to activate the 20U first? That would seem wrong, but I am not sure...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463