Note 20 vs Note 9 comparisons.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Received the Note 20U and am attempting to use Smart Switch to get everything from the Note 9 moved. When I connect USB C to USB C nothing happens. Do I need to activate the 20U first? That would seem wrong, but I am not sure...
Go to settings>accounts>bring data from old device tap

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Go to settings>accounts>bring data from old device tap

Thanks. I don't know what I did, but the 20U just began it's activation process by itself. Once I walked through that, I opened Smart Switch in both phones and tried connecting by cable, which was not successful. Wirelessly finally got started, and it's slowly making progress. I think the issue is that I told it to include all of my messages. I may stop the transfer and cut those to just 6 months or so to see if that's what's slowing things down so much.
One thing I don't remember about previous new phones - I didn't think they came with their own SIM card. I seem to remember having to swap the SIM from Old to New... no? Anyway, it seems to be moving along now. This process always creates a bit of stress :)
Thanks again.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks. I don't know what I did, but the 20U just began it's activation process by itself. Once I walked through that, I opened Smart Switch in both phones and tried connecting by cable, which was not successful. Wirelessly finally got started, and it's slowly making progress. I think the issue is that I told it to include all of my messages. I may stop the transfer and cut those to just 6 months or so to see if that's what's slowing things down so much.
One thing I don't remember about previous new phones - I didn't think they came with their own SIM card. I seem to remember having to swap the SIM from Old to New... no? Anyway, it seems to be moving along now. This process always creates a bit of stress :)
Thanks again.
The carrier version do come with new sim cards but unlocked dont , glad i could help

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
So, a week in with my Note 20, and I'm loving it even better than the 9 in many ways. There are refinements in the UI, Smart Switch made it painless to integrate data from the Note 9 and the Core both. The Core, because it was active, had all my latest Call Logs and text messages, but there's still a backup from my Note 9 I can use if I need to look something up.

Smart Switch gave me the familiar look and feel of my Note 9 with laying out my screens, my apps, (some of which are no longer available in the Play Store), the folders I've arranged in my app drawer, the majority of my settings, etc. Used to take me a couple of days to get everything transferred, chimped down to a few hours, overall. It was a very pleasant experience, overall.

I miss the media card a little bit, but not terribly so. I love the new Gallery editing feature that allows you to save the edited photo instead of keeping the original, that's very useful in reducing unneeded photos on the device. Love the Super Fast charging, and simply adore having a flat-screen phone, again. As much as I loved the Note 9, the Edge screen interfered with game play and inputs while typing, sometimes. I definitely prefer the flat screen.

The speakers sound louder and clearer than the 9, no doubt. The Camera suite is nice, and easy to pick up. I've only taken a few pictures so far, but like what I've seen. There will be more to come.

Oh, yeah, I've already gotten into some impressive 5G coverage, it certainly slaps some of my 4G experiences right upside the old noggin.

Screenshot_20210815-023744_Speedtest.jpg

kgilbertsen

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
FINALLY finished transferring. Took a few hours - think I'll finish the user id's & passwords tomorrow. Always a longer process than I think it should be..

Jhstewa016

Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
just a heads up- Targets app has Zagg screen protectors on sale for the note 20 5g and Best Buy has the clear Samsung case on sale too for the n205g

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Still rocking an Oreo Note 9 and loving it since November 2018, but....
There may come a day when it craps out on me.

Am I understanding the above comments to say that Samsung had made the insane decision to again remove the SD card?

I could live without the headphone jack, but IDK about the SD card.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
FINALLY finished transferring. Took a few hours - think I'll finish the user id's & passwords tomorrow. Always a longer process than I think it should be...

I remember the first time I did a Smart Switch - Note 5 to S8+, then S8+ to Note 9, going from the Note 9 to the Nite 20 was a lots less painless. And I added the twist of deleting the Call Logs and Texts from one device, and substituting the ones from the phone I was using as an active device, with its more current information that was actually relevant. That was a sweet experience.