new note 9, android update

riskybzns

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
soooo, i have a note 8 that stupidly got updated to android 9, which i can not stand for several reasons.

samsung still carries the note 9 with android 8, so i decided i'd trade in my 8 and get the 9. get the 9, power it on and go through the process of setting it up and what the heck do i get, it starts checking for updates and automatically updates the android version to 10.

does anyone know how to force stop these auto updates from the start when getting a new phone?

all help is appreciated!!! thanks!!!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Honestly - it's only a matter of time (and a short time at that) before Android 8 is no longer supported by Play Services, and possibly even less time before apps stop supporting it. I believe Android 6 is the current minimum Android version, if not 7, and that advances on an annual basis. You may just need to give up and accept the updates.

Additionally, you're missing out on security patches that have come out over the last couple years if you try to stick to Android 8.

What, in particular, don't you like about newer versions? Maybe some of us can help you to to resolve those?

riskybzns

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
What, in particular, don't you like about newer versions? Maybe some of us can help you to to resolve those?

oh, where to begin.

extra volume boost when making a call. the layout on the lock screen, plus how it lights up the phone every time i get a new message, plus the fact that while in messages i can't just swipe right to make a call, the camera vs video mess, how to create a scheduled message.

all minor things, but those are things they shouldn't have messed with in my opinion.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
but it does it DURING set-up. that's the problem
It will alert you there a software update but you would have to complete the setup and go to the home screen for it to download and alert you once again to postpone or restart now to install

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
oh, where to begin.

extra volume boost when making a call.
Not sure on this one.
the layout on the lock screen, plus how it lights up the phone every time i get a new message,
GoodLock might be able to help with these, right @mustang7757 ? On my Pixel the entire screen doesn't light up, just what is needed for a preview of the notification.

plus the fact that while in messages i can't just swipe right to make a call,
Samsung Messages app? That's Samsung's area, not Android as a whole.

the camera vs video mess,
Possibly also Samsung

how to create a scheduled message.
In Samsung Messages? I can create one in Google's messaging app.

all minor things, but those are things they shouldn't have messed with in my opinion.

riskybzns

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
It will alert you there a software update but you would have to complete the setup and go to the home screen for it to download and alert you once again to postpone or restart now to install

it didn't give the option. just straight up updated it during the initial setting up the phone and updated it to android 10.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
it didn't give the option. just straight up updated it during the initial setting up the phone and updated it to android 10.
Strange never had Samsung phone do that , but if you want flash back to Andriod 9 with odin but I think it's not worth it .

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Not sure on this one.

GoodLock might be able to help with these, right @mustang7757 ? On my Pixel the entire screen doesn't light up, just what is needed for a preview of the notification.

Samsung Messages app? That's Samsung's area, not Android as a whole.

Possibly also Samsung

In Samsung Messages? I can create one in Google's messaging app.
Yes with Good lock can customize even further on lock screen, home screen

MNMobileGuy

Banned
Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
If you buy a brand new phone directly from Samsung, it's gonna come with whatever the latest version is, already installed. There is no such thing as getting a brand new Note 9 with Android 8 on it. So your phone likely actually didn't update at all.

If you want a Note 9 with Android 8, you'll need to look for someone selling a used one that has that version installed

MotorMike2020

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
Hello all, I have a question related to this thread I would like to ask... I have a new Note 9 on order and I do not plan to activate it on any network with a SIM card. I am simply going to use it as a business PDA, wi-fi only device. Will the OS updates still be available for the Note 9 ? I never really knew if OS updates come from Samsung or only through a carrier. It is an unlocked version Note 9.

MNMobileGuy

Banned
Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
Hello all, I have a question related to this thread I would like to ask... I have a new Note 9 on order and I do not plan to activate it on any network with a SIM card. I am simply going to use it as a business PDA, wi-fi only device. Will the OS updates still be available for the Note 9 ? I never really knew if OS updates come from Samsung or only through a carrier. It is an unlocked version Note 9.
They come from Samsung, so yes, you should still get OTA updates. There won't be many of them though, as I think the Note 9 is now on quarterly updates only

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Where did u purchase a New Note 9?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan