new note 9, android update

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Was it new in the box like it says? Also, is it the correct model? Not the international variant or anything like that?

MotorMike2020

Apr 14, 2020
Visit site
Was it new in the box like it says? Also, is it the correct model? Not the international variant or anything like that?

Yes it sure was.. factory sealed and unopened. Had 91% battery out of the box. Model is SM-N960U1. Smart switched everything from the S6 Edge.. working perfectly. Came with Android 10 already installed. Aug 2021 security patch downloaded and updated. Has UI 2.5. Very slick device, first time using a Note. It's not going to replace my main Galaxy S10 but it is cool...

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Oh so I am guessing the U1 version is like an unlocked model for CDMA carriers? Sim card unlocked would be GSM?

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Weird... I have tried out the version that Samsung sells refurbished and I believe it is the U variant which is also factory unlocked. I wonder what the difference is? I had no issues popping my T-Mobile sim card in.

I would love to find a cheap 8/512gb Note 9 as a backup device.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Oh so I am guessing the U1 version is like an unlocked model for CDMA carriers? Sim card unlocked would be GSM?
U1 version is sim unlocked already with no carrier bloat and some carrier features could be missing and supports both CDMA and GSM.

U is carrier version supports both CDMA and GSM, it will have carrier bloat ,start up logo and can be sim unlocked and have all carrier features.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Ah, I see.

The versions I have had in the past had no carrier bloatware which is quite nice. I don't need T-Mobile's software.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Ah, I see.

The versions I have had in the past had no carrier bloatware which is quite nice. I don't need T-Mobile's software.
Yeah I've bought the unlocked version for last few years , I use to buy carrier versions to flash the unlocked version so I purchase unlocked now.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
How has this device been working for you? I recently ordered a "new factory unlocked," Note 9 from Ebay. The device looked new. Unfortunately... It was not factory unlocked. It was a carrier branded T-Mobile unlocked device. Came in a Samsung factory unlocked box. Not even the right model number. The box, listing and phone itself had different numbers.

The seller has a high approval rating and graciously does easy returns, but still, why do people do this lol

Just trying out this device reminded me of how good it was/is and I am still on the hunt for one as a backup device. I may have to try Swappa.