01-19-2022 06:41 AM
38 12
tools
    soooo, i have a note 8 that stupidly got updated to android 9, which i can not stand for several reasons.

samsung still carries the note 9 with android 8, so i decided i'd trade in my 8 and get the 9. get the 9, power it on and go through the process of setting it up and what the heck do i get, it starts checking for updates and automatically updates the android version to 10.

does anyone know how to force stop these auto updates from the start when getting a new phone?

all help is appreciated!!! thanks!!!
    11-07-2021 11:59 AM
    Honestly - it's only a matter of time (and a short time at that) before Android 8 is no longer supported by Play Services, and possibly even less time before apps stop supporting it. I believe Android 6 is the current minimum Android version, if not 7, and that advances on an annual basis. You may just need to give up and accept the updates.

Additionally, you're missing out on security patches that have come out over the last couple years if you try to stick to Android 8.

What, in particular, don't you like about newer versions? Maybe some of us can help you to to resolve those?
    B. Diddy likes this.
    11-07-2021 01:57 PM
    Alliance shield x in play store for free or https://www.packagedisabler.com/ can stop updates
    11-07-2021 07:47 PM
    Alliance shield x in play store for free or https://www.packagedisabler.com/ can stop updates
    not sure these will help though. the bad part is, it automatically updates when going to setup the phone straight out of the box.
    11-08-2021 10:51 AM
    What, in particular, don't you like about newer versions? Maybe some of us can help you to to resolve those?
    oh, where to begin.

extra volume boost when making a call. the layout on the lock screen, plus how it lights up the phone every time i get a new message, plus the fact that while in messages i can't just swipe right to make a call, the camera vs video mess, how to create a scheduled message.

all minor things, but those are things they shouldn't have messed with in my opinion.
    11-08-2021 10:57 AM
    not sure these will help though. the bad part is, it automatically updates when going to setup the phone straight out of the box.
    U should have the option to postpone after set-up then use the app.
    11-08-2021 11:05 AM
    U should have the option to postpone after set-up then use the app.
    but it does it DURING set-up. that's the problem
    11-08-2021 11:43 AM
    but it does it DURING set-up. that's the problem
    It will alert you there a software update but you would have to complete the setup and go to the home screen for it to download and alert you once again to postpone or restart now to install
    11-08-2021 11:45 AM
    oh, where to begin.

extra volume boost when making a call.
    Not sure on this one.
    the layout on the lock screen, plus how it lights up the phone every time i get a new message,
    GoodLock might be able to help with these, right @mustang7757 ? On my Pixel the entire screen doesn't light up, just what is needed for a preview of the notification.

plus the fact that while in messages i can't just swipe right to make a call,
    Samsung Messages app? That's Samsung's area, not Android as a whole.

the camera vs video mess,
    Possibly also Samsung

how to create a scheduled message.
    In Samsung Messages? I can create one in Google's messaging app.

all minor things, but those are things they shouldn't have messed with in my opinion.
    11-08-2021 01:30 PM
    It will alert you there a software update but you would have to complete the setup and go to the home screen for it to download and alert you once again to postpone or restart now to install
    it didn't give the option. just straight up updated it during the initial setting up the phone and updated it to android 10.
    11-08-2021 02:04 PM
    it didn't give the option. just straight up updated it during the initial setting up the phone and updated it to android 10.
    Strange never had Samsung phone do that , but if you want flash back to Andriod 9 with odin but I think it's not worth it .
    11-08-2021 02:16 PM
    Not sure on this one.

GoodLock might be able to help with these, right @mustang7757 ? On my Pixel the entire screen doesn't light up, just what is needed for a preview of the notification.

Samsung Messages app? That's Samsung's area, not Android as a whole.

Possibly also Samsung

In Samsung Messages? I can create one in Google's messaging app.
    Yes with Good lock can customize even further on lock screen, home screen
    11-08-2021 02:17 PM
    Strange never had Samsung phone do that
    either had i until now, but i'm also wondering if it's because i actually got the phone through samsung themselves instead of like best buy or my phone carrier.
    11-10-2021 10:31 AM
    Yes with Good lock can customize even further on lock screen, home screen
    thank you for that. will give it a try.
    mustang7757 likes this.
    11-10-2021 10:32 AM
    thanks for everything group! totally appreciate it!
    11-10-2021 10:33 AM
    If you buy a brand new phone directly from Samsung, it's gonna come with whatever the latest version is, already installed. There is no such thing as getting a brand new Note 9 with Android 8 on it. So your phone likely actually didn't update at all.

If you want a Note 9 with Android 8, you'll need to look for someone selling a used one that has that version installed
    11-10-2021 01:52 PM
    Hello all, I have a question related to this thread I would like to ask... I have a new Note 9 on order and I do not plan to activate it on any network with a SIM card. I am simply going to use it as a business PDA, wi-fi only device. Will the OS updates still be available for the Note 9 ? I never really knew if OS updates come from Samsung or only through a carrier. It is an unlocked version Note 9.
    11-12-2021 07:10 AM
    Hello all, I have a question related to this thread I would like to ask... I have a new Note 9 on order and I do not plan to activate it on any network with a SIM card. I am simply going to use it as a business PDA, wi-fi only device. Will the OS updates still be available for the Note 9 ? I never really knew if OS updates come from Samsung or only through a carrier. It is an unlocked version Note 9.
    They come from Samsung, so yes, you should still get OTA updates. There won't be many of them though, as I think the Note 9 is now on quarterly updates only
    11-12-2021 11:29 AM
    Where did u purchase a New Note 9?
    11-12-2021 11:32 AM
    Where did u purchase a New Note 9?
    There are several wireless retailers on Ebay that have them for sale. I went with a vendor with a good feedback rating.
    11-12-2021 12:17 PM
    There are several wireless retailers on Ebay that have them for sale. I went with a vendor with a good feedback rating.
    Sealed in the box ?
    11-12-2021 12:19 PM
    Sealed in the box ?
    Yes I believe so.. I will know for sure when I receive the device. It has shipped already. Here is the link for the listing:
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=2snIPrEL
    11-12-2021 01:43 PM
    Yes I believe so.. I will know for sure when I receive the device. It has shipped already. Here is the link for the listing:
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=Z72XYZjg
    Those are rare to find , that link takes u to older ac forum thread
    11-12-2021 02:19 PM
    Never mind AC forum app breaks ur link its fine in chrome
    11-12-2021 02:20 PM
    They come from Samsung, so yes, you should still get OTA updates. There won't be many of them though, as I think the Note 9 is now on quarterly updates only
    Thanks much for that ! I will update here once I get it set up.
    11-12-2021 05:38 PM
38 12