Have you updated to a 22?

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I personally dont care about 5G, but thats just me. I feel its massively overhyped.
In my experience, where I live and go, 5G is overhyped. On full signal, yes, its nice, but I rarely have full 5G signal and I'm not far from the nation's capital on AT&T. Full signal LTE isn't that much worse, to me, subjectively.

captivedroid

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
You guys don't think about the possibility of mimic cell towers like stngray?

(I just saw a Netflix series doc prod. by Ron Howard and Brian Grazer; look up last two ep. of this first season).

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
So I’ve been dealing with T-Mobile and Samsung trying to decide where the best place is to upgrade. T-Mobile only wants to give an $80 trade in price but they have a promo of up to $600 so I would get credited monthly for the other $520. So still talking $600 out-of-pocket along with another $75 or so in taxes and their stupid $35 upgrade/expert fee or whatever it is. So basically $710 if I trade in my note 9. I went to T-Mobile stores today and one of them was totally clueless and told me the promotion ended yesterday. I had spent about four hours on the chat with two different reps yesterday. I went to a second T-Mobile store today and they found the deal I was referencing. But they did not have the S 22 ultra in green. Trying to decide if I really want the ultra or the S 22+ as I like the looks of it better with the rounded corners and I seldom use my stylus. But am I going to have regrets? Has anyone had both the S 22+ and the S 22 ultra? Pluses and minuses? Thanks

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I would go with the Ultra. But I'm telling you... Buy it from Samsung. You'll get much less headache. I bought my last carrier phone years ago.

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I just got done ordering with T-Mobile online. I got a better deal than with Samsung. Ordered the S22 ultra for me and S22+ for hubby. Still very pricey for sure. I love my note 9 but concerned with there have been very few security updates.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Awesome. I must be going backwards because I just recently ordered a used, mint condition Note 9.

I know its also gonna be out of updates soon, but I dont care honestly as I dont do anything risky.

How much did you get it (Ultra) for if you dont mind me asking? Did you have to change your plan at all?

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Awesome. I must be going backwards because I just recently ordered a used, mint condition Note 9.

I know its also gonna be out of updates soon, but I dont care honestly as I dont do anything risky.

How much did you get it (Ultra) for if you dont mind me asking? Did you have to change your plan at all?

The ultra was $1200 but T-Mobile had a promotion where you got up to $600 in trade-in and credit. Only got a credit of $80 for my trade-in but the other $520 will be spaced out over 24 months in credits. By using the app I only had to pay the $75 tax and didn’t have to pay the $35 extra fee they have. So in the end it cost $600 plus $75 tax after I trade in my note 9.

T-Mobile is tricky as they usually want you to upgrade to another plan which I did not want to do or add another line which I did not want to do as we already have four lines on one military where we pay $100 total.

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Thats great. Did you get the 128gb model, 256 or 512?

Unfortunately only the 128 GB model. We were updating three phones so still pricey pricey pricey. I got the ultra and I’m paying about $675 after my trade-in, my husband got the plus and his is about $465 after his trade-in of the S9 plus, and my son got just the S 22 trading in his s9 his is about $250. They take your trade in amount subtracted from the $600 promotion they have and spread the rest over 24 months. That’s so they can say they don’t have contracts lol

I know Samsung was doing double storage but it was going to cost me another $165. I’m hoping the 128 GB is OK that’s what I have on my note 9 and I still have 40 GB available and I take lots of pictures.

Edit to add… I just checked my note 9 and I have used 76.7 GB out of 128 GB. I know newer phones and technology probably use up more just start with but I think I should probably be fine though I would’ve loved to of had the 256 (has 12 ram instead of 8) I just couldn’t justify the cost. Because then of course I still had to purchase cases and screen protectors. Could not find any decent glass screen protectors. The ones that say they have tons of reviews are actually linked to other products on Amazon. So you have to go through and read things thoroughly.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately only the 128 GB model. We were updating three phones so still pricey pricey pricey. I got the ultra and I’m paying about $675 after my trade-in, my husband got the plus and his is about $465 after his trade-in of the S9 plus, and my son got just the S 22 trading in his s9 his is about $250. They take your trade in amount subtracted from the $600 promotion they have and spread the rest over 24 months. That’s so they can say they don’t have contracts lol

I know Samsung was doing double storage but it was going to cost me another $165. I’m hoping the 128 GB is OK that’s what I have on my note 9 and I still have 40 GB available and I take lots of pictures.

Edit to add… I just checked my note 9 and I have used 76.7 GB out of 128 GB. I know newer phones and technology probably use up more just start with but I think I should probably be fine though I would’ve loved to of had the 256 (has 12 ram instead of 8) I just couldn’t justify the cost. Because then of course I still had to purchase cases and screen protectors. Could not find any decent glass screen protectors. The ones that say they have tons of reviews are actually linked to other products on Amazon. So you have to go through and read things thoroughly.
I had the 8/128 Bronze S22 Ultra for a couple of weeks and I couldn't tell any difference in performance between it and 12/512 models I currently have. It's still a beast. I think where you may notice a difference is down the line in a couple of years as we move to Android 14/15/16.

Last edited:

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
The biggest downside for me is lack of sd card support. The note 10+ really had it nailed in that aspect of having 12gb of RAM, 256gb of on board storage and then sd card support on top of that.

In a device that has 8gb/128gb of internal storage, if it had sd card support, it wouldn't be a big deal. For me, that 128gb of internal storage without sd card would be full in about a month.

Enjoy the device though. I think if I was going to purchase one, I would go with the 256gb personally.

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I had the 8/128 Bronze S22 Ultra for a couple of weeks and I couldn't tell any difference in performance between it and 12/512 models I currently have. It's still a beast. I think where you may notice a difference is down the line 8n a couple of years as we move to Android 14/15/16.

A bronze ultra? Didn’t see that on the T-Mobile website must’ve been an exclusive color somewhere. I wish there was a purple one but there wasn’t just burgundy, black, and green and I think a lighter color. I went with the green.. yeah I hope I’m not disappointed I’m not getting the 256 GB model. But my iPads also almost 4 years old I don’t want to give my husband a total reason to be mad if I upgrade that sometime soon as well.

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
The biggest downside for me is lack of sd card support. The note 10+ really had it nailed in that aspect of having 12gb of RAM, 256gb of on board storage and then sd card support on top of that.

In a device that has 8gb/128gb of internal storage, if it had sd card support, it wouldn't be a big deal. For me, that 128gb of internal storage without sd card would be full in about a month.

Enjoy the device though. I think if I was going to purchase one, I would go with the 256gb personally.

I don’t mind not having an SD slot. Like I mentioned above I have the note 9 that I’ve had since it first came out. 128 GB and I’ve only used 77 GB and I have lots and lots of pictures on my phone. I don’t take many videos but I do have a few.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
A bronze ultra? Didn’t see that on the T-Mobile website must’ve been an exclusive color somewhere. I wish there was a purple one but there wasn’t just burgundy, black, and green and I think a lighter color. I went with the green.. yeah I hope I’m not disappointed I’m not getting the 256 GB model. But my iPads also almost 4 years old I don’t want to give my husband a total reason to be mad if I upgrade that sometime soon as well.
Aaaaah. I said bronze but I meant burgundy.

DennisOS2

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Who has gone from the note 9 to an S22+ or 22ultra? Thoughts.. pluses and minuses compared to the note 9. Thanks

I've had my N9 since the release. I used to be an early adopter, now I am conservative, looking for new, useful feature upgrades before I buy anything. My N9 is still in great shape with good battery life. In looking at the N10, S21U, S22U I see no benefits for DtD ordinary use. I'm no a gamer, but I watch Netflix, Prime, etc. movies on the N9 with no issues. I do go into the stores asking for the new features of the latest phones and there really isn't any. Sure, If you want a brighter/higher res screen .... the N9 is pretty darn good. Camera .... same thing. If there is a function on the S22U that is truly amazing and not merely an improved version of what's on the N9, I might consider the S22U.

captivedroid

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I've been contemplating for almost a year.

rn, i'm really looking forward to the new 15" macbook air... depending on how sufficient the cooling system functions.

but with a smartphone, particularly N9, my issues are as follows:
* No support for Android updates
* Phone RAM quickly uses 4.2GB out of 8GB. If I reset the RAM every 30 minutes, it goes back to 3.2GB. (This makes me think of getting at 12GB RAM)
* Quick battery drain.
* Constant poor phone voice connection. (I know I don't use my phone much for the conventional phone call. But is this at all common with the service provider or phones themselves?)

My reservations about new Samsung phones, or phones in general:
* $$$ for more RAM (same goes for Apple macbooks and iMacs)
* No external memory storage.
* Lack of quality stylus (or just stylus) in smartphone model line.
* Question of how long a phone can function: weighing buying an older model with update support of 2 years, compared to a brand new phone with update support of 4-5 years

arrrggghhhhh......