Note 9 might have 6.4 in screen and 4000mah battery!

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Check this one I watched yesterday... it's more down to earth!

https://youtu.be/gycoPqOuP9I

Difference in height is really only .06" (6.32" to 6.38") and the battery, so far, is 3850 - not sure where Greggles is getting 4000 from? I got this from an article on Android Authority which has always been pretty reliable.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm Sure Samsung wants the Note 9 to be huge this year and sell, especially with the lackluster of the S9. is it me or does it seem very little hype of the s9 line? I just don't see many talking about it like the S8 last year. Very little excitement for the s9. Even the bloggers on youtube not a lot of hype like with the s8 and Note 8.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
16% increase in gross battery capacity and less than 1% increase in display size. Neither one of those things could matter less, especially if the increase in battery capacity fails to fully make up for the loss in battery life experienced by the S9+, etc. I would be in agreement that one of the biggest changes needed is a flat display, as well as making it 2:1, rather than 2.0555555555...:1. Additionally, round out the FPS button and camera sensors. It's just aesthetic, but the squares don't look as nice. And preferably make it without a glass back.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I doubt the news, even though it would make me very happy. 3850 may be more credible.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thread moved to the appropriate area.

Please post these in the corresponding area, Blues.

Thanks!

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I couldn't care less about a larger capacity battery.
A flat screen would have my attention.

I agree. I want flat screen.

Hell, make the Note 9 a tank like the Note 4 was please. I don't care about all glass because I slap a bulky case on it anyway.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I agree. I want flat screen.

Hell, make the Note 9 a tank like the Note 4 was please. I don't care about all glass because I slap a bulky case on it anyway.
As we all likely know, they use glass on the back to allow wireless charging and seal it up for the IP rating.

That was rhetorical of course.

Given that we're not going to get removable batteries back I don't mind a glass back but also wouldn't mind Kevlar (like Moto used in the days of old), ballistic nylon, or carbon fiber. I would also love to see a flat glass front but Samsung has decided to differentiate with the curved glass thing and I doubt they're gonna give that up any time soo. At least we can finally get good (and economical) tgsp for these curved devices (spelled OTAO, etc.).

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I doubt the news, even though it would make me very happy. 3850 may be more credible.

While that 150 mAh different looks huge when written that way, but it's really less than a 4% difference to go from 3850 to 4000, which - if we assume a normal user is getting about 6 hours of SOT, would mean about 14 minutes of additional screen on time. Users aren't going to notice that, or care. It'd be maybe another hour of total usage, including idle, which is definitely not noticable. Another way of writing it would be increasing from 3.9a to 4.0a - and when the difference is 0.1/4.0, it's pretty obvious that number is not a big deal and no one would care :)

Or at least, they shouldn't care about that any more than going from 6.32" to 6.38" on a diagonal display size on a tall heavy shape. It's literally a 1.9% (0.3in^2 or 193mm^2) increase in display area - the device will be 0.03" (0.7mm) wider and 0.06" (1.3 mm) taller.

The Note 8 is 3300 mAh, and in order to make an easily noticeable difference in it's battery life, if going at it from a battery capacity standpoint only, the battery would have to be at least 5200 mAh, if not 6400 mAh. That would be the range to get the device to go from easily making it through one day, to easily getting it through two days, for most users.

What I would like to see is the display changed to 147.66mm x 73.83mm, which is a 6.50" display, which would give an increase in display area of 1.2in^2 or 766mm^2, it would correct the aspect ratio to a true 2:1 and the total dimensions of the display would only be an average of 3.5mm (barely over an 8th of an inch) more in length and width. That, plus flattening the edges, would give users a ton of extra display space, while allowing for (because of the approximately .25" taller and wider the device would have to be to accomodate no "edge" nonsense and the 3.5mm increase), would mean the device has a total area increase of 12.7% - which, when coupled with a .4mm increase in thickness, means that an 18% larger battery can be put in the device without any other changes. Since they were already proposing a 3850 mAh battery, allegedly, I'm going to assume they can do that in a similar chasis to the Note 8, so I'll take my 18% larger on top of that - so 4550 mAh would be the minimum acceptable battery size.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
The Note 8 is 3300 mAh, and in order to make an easily noticeable difference in it's battery life, if going at it from a battery capacity standpoint only, the battery would have to be at least 5200 mAh, if not 6400 mAh.
I don't agree. Going from 3300 to 4000 would likely be noticeable and definately desirable by me.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I don't agree. Going from 3300 to 4000 would likely be noticeable and definately desirable by me.

Yes, that would be about a 1 hour increase in SOT per average user. When I am talking about a major increase, I mean extending from one day of solid use to two full days. The 4% increase was quoting the difference between 3850 and 4000, which is negligible.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes, that would be about a 1 hour increase in SOT per average user. When I am talking about a major increase, I mean extending from one day of solid use to two full days. The 4% increase was quoting the difference between 3850 and 4000, which is negligible.

1 hour additional SOT is big for me. You may not care, I do. I always said the Note should have a 4000mah battery. 3850 is pretty close. 3300 is a little small and cuts a heavy use day a little short for me.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
My Mate 9, with Oreo and a 4k mAh battery, has noticably better life than either my Note 8 or S9+. I know optimizations, etc are different but I think if Samsung chose to move to 4k mAh batteries a lot of customers would notice the upgrade.

LilSweetLin

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
What people are failing to realize is, if Samsung indeed goes to a 4000 mAh battery, it means that there will for sure be an in display fingerprint sensor. People unlock their phones a lot throughout the day. An in display fingerprint sensor means that it'll have to make use of the vibration motor to provide feedback for every successful fingerprint unlock. That will only serve to drain the battery faster. Samsung, unlike Huawei, has never been known to optimize a battery to work in concert with its software. So unless Samsung optimizes the f out of the software, the Note 9's battery life with a 4000 mAh battery will be equivalent to the Note 8 and its 3300 mAh battery.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance