Will It's Sales Suffer For The Same Reason The S9's Sales Have?

TurdRon_FergusonBurgundy

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
Hi everyone. I have read many leak posts or rumour articles showing off what is believed to be the Note 9 and it looks identical to the Note 8

Hopefully they introduce some cool new features that are of some real value because the S9 sales have suffered due to the phone not offering a whole lot new/more over the S8. People simply didn't upgrade like they traditionally have and that could once again be the case with the Note 9 unless the phone, most notably the S Pen, introduces new tech and features that only the Note 9 can offer. Hearing rumors of some new S Pen functionality, will look forward to seeing the final product and whether it's upgrade worthy.

Cary Quinn

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Identical? No, very similar but there are already important changes noted (no pun intended).

The S9 had some features important enough for me to upgrade from the Note 8. I will be going to the Note 9 to
keep those features and also have the S-Pen again.

Not every release has to be a groundshaking change, escpecially when they got the design so well on the previous iteration.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Samsung should not expect to anything close to the Note8 sales numbers. Sales were high because there was no Note7. There was a hole in the marketplace and people couldn't wait to get rid of whatever inferior phone they were stuck with. With most of the upgrades for the Note9 coming from the S-pen, I'm sure a lot of Note8 users are on the fence. Yes, it will be slightly faster with a slightly better camera. The S9+ already has these upgrades. This will cause most S9+ users to stand pat and wait until the S10+ is released.
If they REALLY wanted to increase sales, they're would slash money from the price. Since they are planning to cease sales of the Note8, they wouldn't need to worry about closeout sales on the Note8 to compete with.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I think sales were low on the iPhone X, and s9 series because of the cost of phones. Phones are getting to expensive for yearly updating, I think the note 9 will follow suit.

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I think sales were low on the iPhone X, and s9 series because of the cost of phones. Phones are getting to expensive for yearly updating, I think the note 9 will follow suit.

I read somewhere in the past few days that the Note 9 should be close to the same price as the Note 8 was at launch. Whether this is true or not we'll wait and see next month.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Identical? No, very similar but there are already important changes noted (no pun intended).

The S9 had some features important enough for me to upgrade from the Note 8. I will be going to the Note 9 to
keep those features and also have the S-Pen again.

Not every release has to be a groundshaking change, escpecially when they got the design so well on the previous iteration.

I don't know. First of all *most* normal users upgrade their phone every 2 years. Users like us on forums upgrade every year or even sooner. But "normal" folks pay off their phone over 2 years then get a new one. So in this instance it would be the S9 not offering any upgrades over the S7 for this reason for poor sales to be valid. I doubt the S9 offers no upgrades over the S7.

Still the overall issue is that most top of the line phones are very good now and it is very hard to enhance the phone with a new "feature" that is actually useful, and not a gimmick. Incrementals will always happen (better camera, better screen, faster CPU, etc). But at a certain point - for MOST people, not us - the phone is good enough that they don't need to upgrade until their phone has an actual problem. I think many smartphone makers are seeing this trend honestly.

That said, the Note 9 might be one of the phones less prone to what "normal" consumers want/do, but lately it is somewhat mainstream.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Going by the rumours/leaks it doesn't justify upgrading from note8 unless I get the 512gb/8gb for less than 1k with the new DeX pad and either a 512gb sd card AND latest iteration of the 360 can INCLUDED

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Going by the rumours/leaks it doesn't justify upgrading from note8 unless I get the 512gb/8gb for less than 1k with the new DeX pad and either a 512gb sd card AND latest iteration of the 360 can INCLUDED
Agreed. Pricing and promotions will most likely make my decision.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't expect it to be as good as the Note 8 sales. Simply because you had Note 8 buyers that had the Note 7. Sure, some like be bought the S8 Plus because we NEEDED a big screen phone, but many held off for the Note 8. Some of those Note 8 buyers won't see the need to upgrade to the Note 9.

The s8 plus and Note 8 got a boost from Note 7 users.

Since the Note 9 is similar to Note 8 will also be a small factor as well.

I expect the Note 10 and S10 sales to be a lot better than the S9, Note 9 thought due to the big redesigns we are supposed to see.

It seems Samsung does massive re-designs every two years. Like s6 looked similar to S7. S3, S4 were very similar as well. I would expect either a big re-design next year or at least a lot of new or better features.

I can understand some who might stay with the Note 8 waiting for the S10 which is supposed to be kick arse next year. I myself while getting the Note 9 just made get the s10 plus if it has that triple camera, under the screen finger print, etc.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Agreed. Pricing and promotions will most likely make my decision.

Promotions don't but if lets say the price was $1,050 then I would simply get the S9 plus and wait for the S10 and hope it doesn't break the bank.

I think the price stays the same but I would think this 8GB 512gb storage phone IF it is released outside Korea I think the price will be quite steep. I mean like $1,200. No way I would pay that much for 8gb ram. Like I said before I don't want to pay big $$ for extra storage, I just want the 8gb ram.

I know the technology isn't cheap designing this stuff but these device makers make a killing off profits. A Note 8 should be more like $800, not $940 new at release.

Maybe if sanctions are lifted eventually Samsung could manufacture the phones in North Korea for a lot cheaper! Plus then I could maybe finally see a Moranbong Band concert in person!

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Samsung CAN charge less for their phones, but they won't. As long as they are getting their sales numbers, that won't change. Also, reducing a price on a phone puts in customers' minds that it's an inferior product.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
.. Also, reducing a price on a phone puts in customers' minds that it's an inferior product.

Not necessarily. Perhaps for some people in some markets. Any user who does research on a product will know charging more for a product doesn't make it better. The other folks though, they probably do associate price with quality ..

Also, degree matters too. If they charged $899 for it instead of $1050, I doubt there would be many folks around the world thinking .. "Jeez it's only $899, it must be a cheap piece of junk". Now at $299 or something, that's another story. Degree matters ..

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Not necessarily. Perhaps for some people in some markets. Any user who does research on a product will know charging more for a product doesn't make it better. The other folks though, they probably do associate price with quality ..

Also, degree matters too. If they charged $899 for it instead of $1050, I doubt there would be many folks around the world thinking .. "Jeez it's only $899, it must be a cheap piece of junk". Now at $299 or something, that's another story. Degree matters ..

Sub-$1000 for a well-equipped base model seems the sweet spot they're striving for in The United States. In those markets where they'll distribute the higher tier Note9s is where Samsung can test pushing the outer edges of the envelope and subsequent resistance as to price points.

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It is true that nowadays, there may not *be* significant enough changes from one iteration to another to warrant a pricey and expensive upgrade. But then again, it's all in the eyes of the beholder. I got a Pixel 2; which will mean that I'm happy with the purchase and won't get the 3, though from what I've seen, it does look cool. It's just not "enough" to warrant an upgrade.

I think some manufacturers are releasing phones that, while awesome, don't necessarily provide too much differentiation from the previous iteration to warrant an upgrade. But again, it all depends on what "new features" are available on the future/upcoming iteration and if those are important to the buyer in question.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

Yea, us on here pay $$$$ to have the latest but I hear constantly people complaining about spending $600 or even $700 for a phone saying it is way too expensive and that is for mid range phones.

Even with the iPhones I hear people complaining about the prices and many don't upgrade yearly anymore because prices are getting out of hand.

Most people other than us fanboys on here and on the Apple forums don't upgrade at least once a year like we do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech