Note9 Spen news

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
The thing that concerns me with the Spen is the battery in it. The Note 9 battery is supposed to be 4000mah but how much of that will be used to charge the spen? Depending on how often you use the spen, battery like might not be a ton better than the Note 8.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
The thing that concerns me with the Spen is the battery in it. The Note 9 battery is supposed to be 4000mah but how much of that will be used to charge the spen? Depending on how often you use the spen, battery like might not be a ton better than the Note 8.

I'm no battery expert but if it only takes 40 seconds to charge and last about 200 clicks, it shouldn't take alot of battery from note9. Unless you click alot lol. If you a heavy spen user than I can see it taking up some battery. I'm not a heavy spen user so it might not be a problem for me. Like I said I'm no battery expert tho lol. Guess we will see.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm no battery expert but if it only takes 40 seconds to charge and last about 200 clicks, it shouldn't take alot of battery from note9. Unless you click alot lol. If you a heavy spen user than I can see it taking up some battery. I'm not a heavy spen user so it might not be a problem for me. Like I said I'm no battery expert tho lol. Guess we will see.
So, if you look at it that way, the S-pen will be fully charged when you take your phone off of the charger and under normal usage, should probably not need to be charged any more that day. If you use it a lot, I'm sure it would be very minimal to the point where you wouldn't even notice the difference.

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I just wonder if the current S-Pen would fit into the Note 9 and save some battery? I have a few S-Pens from the Note 7 and it pretty much fits my Note 8. But I don't think I'd be the one to take the chance to find out. My luck it would get stuck and brake the phone.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing that the "battery" in the pen will be a supercapacitor. Batteries don't charge that fast. But at least supercapacitors don't wear out with age. (Meaning that if the phone is still working 10 years from now, and on its 3rd or 4th battery, the pen will still be on the original supercapacitor.)

Using Bluetooth, though, even low-power Bluetooth, is going to eat battery - and that will come from the phone's battery when the pen recharges.

So all that's really added is the different things you can set it to do with different clicks. And you should still get at least 2 security updates a year for 2 years. Not enough to make me want to give up my Pixel 2.

Cary Quinn

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking ultracapacitor too. Great minds and all...

Actually though, from what I am reading Low Energy bluetooth devices remain mostly in sleep mode and only use enough power for a short burst connection before going back to sleep. I think the idea in practice is it will work pretty much like the previous S-Pens, with the user barely noticing a need for charging.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
I just wonder if the current S-Pen would fit into the Note 9 and save some battery? I have a few S-Pens from the Note 7 and it pretty much fits my Note 8. But I don't think I'd be the one to take the chance to find out. My luck it would get stuck and brake the phone.

Hmmm good question. Yeah I won't try it myself either lol. I got 2 blue coral spens from note 7 too. And I can use those for back up on my blue note8 since I'm using note8 as back up if I choose to get the note9. I'm sure someone will do a story or video saying whether or not note8 or note 7 spen would fit in note9. Depending on the size of note9 spen since their is supposedly a battery in it etc they might not fit. I thought I heard the note9 spen might be thicker. We will see.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, the new SPen features do not seem that interesting to me, and I have a feeling I won't really be using them. I mostly use the pen for marking up photos, but we'll see...

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I resolved to get more use from the S-Pen when I received my Note7 and the pen's function has grown on me since that time. Now I'm taking the same approach with the upcoming BixbyII; the Note Series remains unique and my affinity for these devices has only increased with time.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I would like to see what they do with the Note 10. The 9 and the pen aren't really adding much new, especially for the cost.

They seem to be trying to enhance the pen's already considerable function. I am more enamored of the rumored larger battery and (fingers crossed) 128 gigs of native storage. I did not believe I would be impressed by the upcoming Note9 as recently as one month ago but my impression is evolving favorably.

Last edited:

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
What's the point? So the s-pen can be used as a camera shutter. I would have thought more people preferred the speaker/microphone in s-pen rumour. I don't own a mobile phone for the camera....must be in the minority....6gb ram is plenty for me, so as I've said b4, looking fwd to the note 10 here & very happy with my note 8.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
What's the point? So the s-pen can be used as a camera shutter. I would have thought more people preferred the speaker/microphone in s-pen rumour. I don't own a mobile phone for the camera....must be in the minority....6gb ram is plenty for me, so as I've said b4, looking fwd to the note 10 here & very happy with my note 8.

I don't see that microphone/speaker rumor happening til note10. Or any other major upgrade. If it happens. I don't expect much new stuff from note9 but I still like the new options.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site

Yea. Remember the early build model of the Note 5 had the problem if you stuck the pen in backwards you're screwed if you try pulling it out because it breaks the sensors inside the phone. There was a paper trick though on youtube if you stuck the pen in backwards to get the pen out without breaking the sensors.

brownhornet

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, I think i've used my s-pen twice since the day I got the phone. In most cases I forget it's even there. This is why i'm probably going to skip the note 9 due to the small changes from the note 8 and just wait for the S10+.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
To be honest, I think i've used my s-pen twice since the day I got the phone. In most cases I forget it's even there. This is why i'm probably going to skip the note 9 due to the small changes from the note 8 and just wait for the S10+.

I'm the same way but in the rare times I do/need to use it the spen is a life saver! Plus, the Note line is slightly ahead of the S line.

103Softail

May 6, 2016
Visit site
You should get into the habit of using it more, even just for scrolling. It's a brilliant tool IMO

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
You should get into the habit of using it more, even just for scrolling. It's a brilliant tool IMO

I love the spen and hardly use it but it is great to have. Also, the Note line has a slightly bigger build and feels better in the hand.

I think a lot of us Note users will switch to the s10 though since the 10 is supposed to be a huge upgrade over both phones. I know I won't want to hold out until the Note 10 to get all these great new features.

I like how the S10 will have a lower end model with a FLAT screen but I will not get that. I wish they had a Note 10 with a FLAT screen or the S10 plus with a FLAT screen option. I would be all over that.

If the s10 plus has 8gb ram, under screen finger print scanner, triple camera regardless of missing the Spen that will be enough to upgrade from the Note 9 right there.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I bet they'll advertise the spen click camera for selfies or group selfies. I am horrible at taking selfies and this might actually help me (when I take them, I don't care for them too much).

I use my spen for cropping photos without going into photo editor. Plus playing some games, like a small card game Spider solitaire.

Last edited: