Phone from Carrier or unlocked?

Vaas

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have only had nexus for the past 5yrs or so. I plan on going with Note 9 on T-Mobile. Anyone else on T-Mobile, have you experienced any difference using an unlocked phone compared to a phone from T-Mobile? i have heard the unlocked could take longer to update. I am more concerned about performance, voicemail...other stuff.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Voicemail is entirely done on the carrier's server, it has nothing to do with the phone.

Performance? Of what? Screen smoothness? Receiver sensitivity? Since the phone doesn't do Band 71, about all you'll notice is less bloat - no TMO stuff on it. I haven't played with the Note 9, but I've played with other TMO/unlocked combinations, and never noticed any difference, except in updating. (And, since Samsung is the bottleneck in this case, you'll be behind everyone else whether you get it from Samsung or TMO, unless TMO screws up an update (which they did once - and had to pull it for 2 weeks until they got it fixed).

Vaas

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the information. I heard others saying that it could be slower on the network and possible not get all the promotional stuff such as TMobile Tuesdays. Since its been a long while on nexus I have double checking before I jump carriers and phone :)

I am hoping the Note 9 will support Band 71, will know in 3 says.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm getting unlocked since I'm on Tmobile and don't have to worry about wifi calling. Reception can be poor in my house so wifi calling a must.

Oh and with unlocked, I bought an unlocked LG v20 last year and when I popped my Tmobile SIM in it automatically downloaded the tmobile bloat.

Also, unlocked holds better value and easier to sell since it's unlocked.

I reserved an unlocked model and see how it goes.

Vaas

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello Blues Fan,

Can you please clarify this statement. "I'm getting unlocked since I'm on Tmobile and don't have to worry about wifi calling. Reception can be poor in my house so wifi calling a must"

Are you saying you have to an unlocked phone or a phone from the carrier to use wifi calling? Wifi calling is a feature I want so would like to make sure.

Thanks

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Hello Blues Fan,

Can you please clarify this statement. "I'm getting unlocked since I'm on Tmobile and don't have to worry about wifi calling. Reception can be poor in my house so wifi calling a must"

Are you saying you have to an unlocked phone or a phone from the carrier to use wifi calling? Wifi calling is a feature I want so would like to make sure.

Thanks

Samsung phones that are unlocked have wifi calling if you use tmobile. The other carriers wifi calling doesn't work on the unlocked model.

So if you want an unlocked phone and have tmobile then go for it. If you have ATT for example don't get the unlocked model if you want wifi calling.