Carrier vs Unlocked Note 9 Questions?

left4dead

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I keep reading online conflicting this regarding unlocked Samsung devices compare to that of carrier variant devices, in this case specifically T-Mobile.

I know that am unlocked Note 9 will work on T-Mobile's network but will ALL the bands be available as well, including the new band 71?

Also are there any differences in terms of the options/features on the device itself?

Will software/firmware updates arrive quicker in the unlocked model or on the carrier model usually?

Besides T-Mobile bloatware - is the unlocked the exact Note 9 as the one sold by TMo?

Is it recommended to buy the carrier version or the unlocked version?

Thanks in advance.

Itsa_Me_Mario

¯\_(o_o)_/¯
Feb 19, 2018
Visit site
I know that am unlocked Note 9 will work on T-Mobile's network but will ALL the bands be available as well, including the new band 71?

We don't know this for sure yet, but history would indicate that it should be compatible.

Will software/firmware updates arrive quicker in the unlocked model or on the carrier model usually?

History leans towards the carrier models being updated more frequently.

Anzorian

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I've had the Tmobile Note 8 and I use a unlocked Note 8 now on TMobile. There is no difference other than updates. I got Oreo last on the unlocked one. There is no bloatware installed on carrier Note 8. So I'n going with carrier Note 9 since unlocked was kinda slow on updates.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I went ahead and ordered the unlocked version today. I use tmobile so I don't have to worry about wifi calling not working.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I went ahead and ordered the unlocked version today. I use tmobile so I don't have to worry about wifi calling not working.

I've been buying unlocked models for several years now. On T-Mobile, everything works including WiFi calling. The only drawback is that the unlocked models usually get updates later then the carrier models do but not always.

Mike1117

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
Are there any other drawbacks if I purchase an unlocked phone & bring it over to Verizon? Do they hit me with a bigger fee to activate it or something? BestBuy promotions plus a 10% off coupon I have tempting me to get unlocked.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Are there any other drawbacks if I purchase an unlocked phone & bring it over to Verizon? Do they hit me with a bigger fee to activate it or something? BestBuy promotions plus a 10% off coupon I have tempting me to get unlocked.

The main thing with Verizon is you will lose wifi calling. I know there are some apps you can download that finds hidden features. When I had the V20 unlocked wifi calling is hidden but with one of the apps you can find it.

If you had tmobile I'd say go for the unlocked.

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
AT&T is one of the ones you have to worry about the unlocked ones. No Visual voicemail, no VOLTE, no WIFI calling, and supposedly, no numbersync.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
AT&T is one of the ones you have to worry about the unlocked ones. No Visual voicemail, no VOLTE, no WIFI calling, and supposedly, no numbersync.

You still won't get wifi calling with Verizon unlocked though. That seems to be the big hangup for most. If you get unlocked let us know if one of those app finders finds wifi calling on it.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I went with the unlocked version. Yeah the updates are slow but Sammy is already slow with updates to begin with.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I can't remember where I read it, but I remember seeing that in the US, for the unlocked versions Samsung only promised quarterly security updates. Something to do with US update servers for some reason.
That's probably the biggest concern with going unlocked.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I went with the unlocked version. Yeah the updates are slow but Sammy is already slow with updates to begin with.

Many times, the unlocked models are first at getting updates. My unlocked S7 Edge is on the July 1 update and my T-Mobile Note 8 and unlocked S9+ are on the June 1 update. The S7 Edge got the July 1 update two days ago.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
One would think the unlocked versions should get updates earlier since they don't have to go through the carriers.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You got to compare the same model, typically for the same model the unlocked US model is generally behind carrier versions on updates. Compare S9 carrier models with US unlocked S9, and same with others. Can't compare S7 unlocked with S9 carrier etc.

Don't get it me wrong, I still got and always have got the US unlocked models over the carrier versions but in both instances S9/Note 8 the US unlocked models are always behind and last to get the security and major updates. Initially I was mad but later realized it is what is and just go along with it. I do have a Pixel which satisfies my update thirst but on Samsung phones I never buy them thinking about updates. I have made my peace with it
Many times, the unlocked models are first at getting updates. My unlocked S7 Edge is on the July 1 update and my T-Mobile Note 8 and unlocked S9+ are on the June 1 update. The S7 Edge got the July 1 update two days ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz