Is 8GB really worth over the 6GB?

AlusionL

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
After days of arguing with tmobile, the lowest offer i got was

128GB , 6GB Note 9

For $80 down

I dont mind missing the 512gb. I can just buy a 512gb Memory card

But will i really miss any performance by not getting the 8gb RAM?

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I think you'll be fine with the 6 GB. What are you using right now? I preordered the unlocked version, 128GB. 6 gb does very well with multi-tasking and demanding activities.

SpaceJamzz

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I think if you ask the people who have pre-ordered already, those who got the 128GB / 6GB phones will say you won't notice the difference :) :) :)

They are probably right though...But I got the 512GB anyway....LOL

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I think if you ask the people who have pre-ordered already, those who got the 128GB / 6GB phones will say you won't notice the difference :) :) :)

They are probably right though...But I got the 512GB anyway....LOL
I'm sure there's a bit of a difference, but 6 GB is no slow poke. I do a lot on my phone and it keeps up quite well :) Congrats on the 512 though - I wouldn't have minded it except for the extra $200-250 price tag.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
I chose the 512GB 8GB version because I am coming from a S9+ and for me the 128GB version really isn't much of an upgrade, I mean S9+ has the 845, it has 6 GB of ram, it has 64 on board storage....so, idk, its not so much an upgrade otherwise. I'm not a heavy S pen user but with the new features in this years S pen I might use it more now.

AlusionL

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Im on S9+

Thing is, its JOD and i will also jump to S10.

So if i pay $530 down for Note 9 , just to give it back to tmovile in 8 months? 530+ 8 months worth of payments

Cary Quinn

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I have an S9+ right now as well.

Can you do me a favor? Run your usual apps that you go thru in a day. Then check your settings under Device Maintenance -> Memory and see how much available memory you have left. If you are pushing the limits of the memory on your S9+ right now, then you might benefit from an upgrade to the 8GB model.

On mine I still have 1.3GB available right now. I will check again at the end of the day to see how much that changes over normal use.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
RAM size doesn't determine speed - as long as there's enough RAM to run what you're running, adding another 32GB won't change a thing (except your battery life). But if you're playing a game that needs 6GB to run (there's nothing like that out there yet), it's going to crawl on a phone with 6GB of RAM (Android needs some too). If you're running 3 or 4 normal-size apps, you'll never notice the difference. Even leaving a video running, opening your banking app and your password safe, and switching between the banking app and the password safe shouldn't cause a glitch with 6GB.)

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure there's a bit of a difference, but 6 GB is no slow poke. I do a lot on my phone and it keeps up quite well :) Congrats on the 512 though - I wouldn't have minded it except for the extra $200-250 price tag.

The add $ is not worth it to me. 6gb was doing well on my N8 so I think it will be fine on the N9.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
So all you use is internal?
Yes and I never run out. I do a lot of cloud storage.

Last time I used an external card was back when the Note 3 was new and it caused some havoc with that phone - it because corrupt or inoperable in some fashion and caused all sorts of issues with the phone. Once it was removed and the phone cleared up, no more issues.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Yes and I never run out. I do a lot of cloud storage.

Last time I used an external card was back when the Note 3 was new and it caused some havoc with that phone - it because corrupt or inoperable in some fashion and caused all sorts of issues with the phone. Once it was removed and the phone cleared up, no more issues.

I know it's been a while, but do you notice a speed difference or difference in battery drain?

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
So all you use is internal?

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll chime in. I only use internal. I got a 128 GB card, but never put it in. I have 45.9 of 64 GB used on my Note 8. I rarely delete photos, etc. Most of my music is streamed, but I have some on my phone. Several downloaded documents. Etc.

For the original question, I think the 6 GB would be fine with me, although 8 GB looks so nice. I have a ton of apps on my phone as well. Right now, after doing the device maintenance, I have 3.5 GB out of 6 GB.

Ranny99

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
If they had given both versions 8g of ram, how many 512g models do you think they would have sold, compared to the 128?

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I know you didn't ask me, but I'll chime in. I only use internal. I got a 128 GB card, but never put it in. I have 45.9 of 64 GB used on my Note 8. I rarely delete photos, etc. Most of my music is streamed, but I have some on my phone. Several downloaded documents. Etc.

For the original question, I think the 6 GB would be fine with me, although 8 GB looks so nice. I have a ton of apps on my phone as well. Right now, after doing the device maintenance, I have 3.5 GB out of 6 GB.

Thanks for your input. I got the 128gb and will probably be doing the same thing now (using internal). I've read it's much faster.

fishmd

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I think Samsung was really smart here. They could have easily put 8GB of RAM in both versions, but knew if they did that, hardly and of the 512 ones would sell. (Cause really who needs all that storage.)

Anyways, I know I will only be keeping this phone for 1 year or less, so see no reason to go for the more expensive one. My Note 8 is good enough on RAM and storage as it is and with the better processor on the Note 9, that should really be all I need for this phone to run great and do everything needed.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
The 512GB with 8GB of storage starts to make a lot of sense when you think about people who might be looking to use Dex. With that amount of ram and that level of storage, if someone can fit the limitations of Dex into what they use a PC for, we're getting to the point now where this could indeed replace a laptop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma