The Note 8 S Pen works in the note 9

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Is it $600 better for a non artist? Some of the new stylus are very accurate. Line width, color, editing can all be done on most devices from Samsung and others. I don't think it's enough of an upgrade for me to get more productive. Give me a folding s9+phone next time and I'm in for 1k.
P. S. My handwriting always looks like that.

$600? Your comparing a brand new phone to a used price. I can get into a Note 9 for about $160 more than I paid for my S9+ (new). There are also other reasons the Note costs more. But, if quality is inking is of concern on a budget, some older more devices might be an option as well. How much value the higher quality inking is worth just depends on the person.

Yes, you can vary line width in many apps, but it locks it in for that line. With Wacom or N-trig system, you can vary your line widths in a single line. I just drew the line in the attached photo on my Dell work laptop using an N-trig stylus. Notice the taper. Probably not terribly important for just writing text, but it still looks a little more natural. Artist would certainly see more benefit.

Lastly, I doubt what you wrote matches your handwriting perfectly. I see the very typical difficulty in properly closing and lining up portions of each letter. I also see your letters are kind of far apart. The text in my photo shows I can write almost as well as I do on paper. I have a powered thin tip capacitive touch stylus at home and it can't even come close.

Attachments

• 8608.jpg
    8608.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 30

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I paid $480 out the door 5 weeks ago for my S9+, brand new at tmobile. When you assume....
I'm also using a free 99 cent type stylus that came with a case. My one at home is very precise, and nearly as smooth as yours.

Last edited:

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
That's a great deal
It came with 1 stipulation, that it was a 2 for 1 and 1 line had to be ported or new. My son already has tmobile, my s7 and it's contract expired from att, so I got the 9plus and the 8 active (with 4000 ma battery), for the price of one. I wanted to add a private line that only rings for contacts in my phone and registered to a new Gmail account that never does anything but the playstore. It stays at a spot where my old home phone was. After work hours I abandon the S8 active. I don't know about everyone else, but with Hiya and a few other tricks, I still get spoofed numbered spam calls. None yet on the s9.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Yes - it fits in the hole and locks in place. When I press it to unlock it and pull it out, it generates the typical S-Pen menu options.

Thanks for being BRAVE and testing this out. I'm sure many including myself wanted to know.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I paid $480 out the door 5 weeks ago for my S9+, brand new at tmobile. When you assume....
I'm also using a free 99 cent type stylus that came with a case. My one at home is very precise, and nearly as smooth as yours.

Either way, you're comparing the price of a phone that had been on the market for some time already to one that is about to be released. Either way, my point about getting an older note model is still valid.

Perhaps you can post a photo of said near same performance. I went through 2 convertible tablets during school and took all of my engineering notes on them using the stylus. This included written notes, mathematical equations, diagrams and graphs, so it needed to be very precise. Friends of mine saw what I was doing and attempted to do the same on their tablets using capacitive stylus, and it simply wasn't anywhere near as good. Most abandoned it entirely. But if your happy with your solution, then that's great. But please don't assume your solution meets everyone else's needs.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I don't have the note, as you know, so I guess you just need validation. It's okay to get the note, with the same processor and ram and os as the s9 plus irregardless of the release date, if you want one.
Read my post, Ive never told someone what they need or shouldn't buy. Neither should you.
I personally don't need it, but if I did, it would be the 512gig model to get a tangible upgrade aside from a quarter inch and the spen.
Either way, you're comparing the price of a phone that had been on the market for some time already to one that is about to be released. Either way, my point about getting an older note model is still valid.

Perhaps you can post a photo of said near same performance. I went through 2 convertible tablets during school and took all of my engineering notes on them using the stylus. This included written notes, mathematical equations, diagrams and graphs, so it needed to be very precise. Friends of mine saw what I was doing and attempted to do the same on their tablets using capacitive stylus, and it simply wasn't anywhere near as good. Most abandoned it entirely. But if your happy with your solution, then that's great. But please don't assume your solution meets everyone else's needs.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't have the note, as you know, so I guess you just need validation. It's okay to get the note, with the same processor and ram and os as the s9 plus irregardless of the release date, if you want one.
Read my post, Ive never told someone what they need or shouldn't buy. Neither should you.
I personally don't need it, but if I did, it would be the 512gig model to get a tangible upgrade aside from a quarter inch and the spen.

Well then it begs the question. Why did you come into the Note 9 forum to post in this thread in the first place and question the need for it over the s9/+.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
So, if I pick up an Note8 or N9 stylus, would I be able to use it on my S7E?

It won't. The S Pen works on a Note device because there's a second special digitizer on the Note phones (which adds to why it's more expensive). It emits an electric field that the S Pen detects and powers it up allowing it to work. The digitizers on standard capacitive screens are incapable of detecting items under a certain size, which is why most capacitive styli are like crayons.

There's also no reason for the Note 8 S Pen to not work with the Note 9. Even if you take a Note 1 SPen it will probably most likely work. The only new thing on the Note 9 S Pen is the bluetooth connection and the power for it so it can be used as a clicker remote. The rest of the functionality has not changed anyway.

Last edited:

guitar_65riff

Jun 20, 2018
Visit site
I just ordered the Note 9.
When I got the Note 8 six months ago I said I wouldn't upgrade... Well that didn't last

I had to get the blue one. Only one in offer with Vodafone. Oh well it will have a case anyway.

Oh yes I'll need at least two of those
More to add to the pile in the drawer.

Cary Quinn

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
There's also no reason for the Note 8 S Pen to not work with the Note 9. Even if you take a Note 1 SPen it will probably most likely work. The only new thing on the Note 9 S Pen is the bluetooth connection and the power for it so it can be used as a clicker remote. The rest of the functionality has not changed anyway.

I have confirmed that older S Pens I have (1 from my Note 3 and a spare Note 5 one I found) both work with the Note 9 screen. However, it may be better with S Pens from newer models as the pressure sensititivity was upgraded in later models.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Mod Note: Cleaned some posts. Please discuss the topic and not each other. Remember, we are all allowed to participate in the forums. Thank you!

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
the note 5 pen writes on a note 8, didn't think to try it on my 9.

Any pen using Wacom technology should work as they all use the same tech. So you could even buy a professional Wacom pen and use it on your Note phone. It just won't fit in the phone and will not have the Bluetooth capability.

sandra_17

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Any pen using Wacom technology should work as they all use the same tech....

I have all of my S Pens from every Note (including several spares), going back to the N3. Also from my two tablets (Notes 10.1 and 12.2). They all work on each device (except the fit in the phone & now BT of course). I keep several in a small glass on my desk to grab while there so I don't have to take mine out of the phone and chance walking away without it.

The nibs are interchangeable as well. When we got the N7's, I loved the finer nibs so much more that I bought a few spare pens and replaced the nibs in all my Note Phone S Pens (the phones are all still in use (except my very missed N7!)) with various family members.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
I have all of my S Pens from every Note (including several spares), going back to the N3. Also from my two tablets (Notes 10.1 and 12.2). They all work on each device (except the fit in the phone & now BT of course). I keep several in a small glass on my desk to grab while there so I don't have to take mine out of the phone and chance walking away without it.

The nibs are interchangeable as well. When we got the N7's, I loved the finer nibs so much more that I bought a few spare pens and replaced the nibs in all my Note Phone S Pens (the phones are all still in use (except my very missed N7!)) with various family members.

When I had a Wacom powered HP convertible tablet back in school, I replaced the nib with one from the selection of nibs (came with more than a dozen and several different types) that came with a professional Wacom pad my (now) ex-gf had. It was spring loaded so it felt really smooth. I would love to see something like that available for the Spen. I kept a spare stylus for the laptop as well in case I forgot the other one. Saved my butt a handful of times.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon