Want to upgrade but really conflicted about the rear fingerprint sensor

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
The shape and placement of the FPS on the Pixel 2 XL in the best experience I've had. I don't know why Sammy wants it so close to the camera and why it can't be a circle.
Any lower and it would probably be interfering with the battery. You can't have a big battery and decent fingerprint sensor location.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Any lower and it would probably be interfering with the battery. You can't have a big battery and decent fingerprint sensor location.

Yeah when I saw the leaked schematic a while back, I figured the battery would affect fps placement.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

The Mate 10 Pro seemed to do it no problem with it's 4000 mah battery . If it's not significantly lower, at least it's nice and round :)..

l_10168716_002.jpg

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
The shape and placement of the FPS on the Pixel 2 XL in the best experience I've had. I don't know why Sammy wants it so close to the camera and why it can't be a circle.
Shape has absolutely nothing to do with usability. It could be a heart shape and would work the exact same.

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site

Umm, wireless charging that's why. You can't have it where the pixel 2 xl is or you don't get wireless charging. Has nothing to do with battery location.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I've had both pixels and was afraid I was going to hate the fps on the back. it's fine. and literally, it only takes a portion of your finger to unlock so I don't know what the big fuss is about what shape it is on the Note 8.... it's not like you need exact placement...

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Umm, wireless charging that's why. You can't have it where the pixel 2 xl is or you don't get wireless charging. Has nothing to do with battery location.

I though it was because the battery is so large, there is not enough room for the FPS mechanism. If you look at LG Thin Q, LG V30, Xperia XZ2 & 3 (just to name a few) their FPS is like the Pixel and they all support wireless charging. The Xperia fps is probably lower. IDK

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I've had both pixels and was afraid I was going to hate the fps on the back. it's fine. and literally, it only takes a portion of your finger to unlock so I don't know what the big fuss is about what shape it is on the Note 8.... it's not like you need exact placement...

Note 8 was hit or miss for me unlike the Pixel which was good just about every time. Hope the Note 9 is better.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi All. I am a Note 7 refugee coming to the end of my contract on my S7 Edge replacement phone. I am tired of the S7 Edge, the 32GB storage is not enough, I miss the S-Pen, and after a month of ownership I tripped on a curb and flung my phone at the sidewalk, cracking the screen in 3 places and it's been that way ever since. Every time I use the phone it is a reminder of the Note 7 fiasco and that I didn't want this phone in the first place (loved the Note 7 before they took it away), and I am wanting to finally move on.

Last year I considered the Note 8 when it came out, but I have big hesitations about a phone with a rear fingerprint sensor. I like being able to unlock my phone while it is laying flat on the desk, or while it's in its charging cradle. Especially when it's in its mount in the car, do you have to pick your phone up every time you want to unlock it? I guess you could add your car's bluetooth the the smart unlock, but there's other situations (like at work) where you don't want your phone just sitting there unlocked.

Needless to say I was hoping the rear fingerprint sensor of the Note 8 was a transition year fluke and it would be moved back to the front, or the in display sensor would be ready for the Note 9.

I kept following the rumors and it was like an emotional rollercoaster with the Note 9 if it was going to get the in display fingerprint sensor. Then it became pretty obvious it wouldn't. This phone is a beast and I really like everything I am seeing, except for the damn fingerprint sensor! I don't want unlocking the phone to become a chore, and get instant regret for the next 2 years like I've had the last 2.

Everything you read now the S10 is going to have the in display fingerprint sensor as this is the big 1-0 and Samsung needs to make a splash with a big new feature. I could wait for the S10 if I had to, but then I am giving up the S-Pen. Plus I like the "power user" specs of the Note. Would those specs be likely to be retained for the S10? It seems like in order to get what I really want I am going to have to wait for the Note 10, another year away which seems like a daunting ask for me now as a long disgruntled S7 Edge user.

So as you can see I am very conflicted about this whole thing. Can those with rear fingerprint sensors comment on what they are like to use? Was it a tough transition? Does the iris scanner help? I remember on the Note 7 the iris scanner worked pretty well, but you had to have your eyes perfectly lined up for it to work. That probably isn't going to work if the phone is laying on the desk or in the charging cradle, and having to hover your face perfectly over the phone defeats the purpose of avoiding making unlocking the phone into a chore.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Get the p20 pro if you want it on the front you won't regret it. Also if u wanna be a big baller get the Porsche design mate rs with the in screen reader. It's awesome.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03