Want to upgrade but really conflicted about the rear fingerprint sensor

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi All. I am a Note 7 refugee coming to the end of my contract on my S7 Edge replacement phone. I am tired of the S7 Edge, the 32GB storage is not enough, I miss the S-Pen, and after a month of ownership I tripped on a curb and flung my phone at the sidewalk, cracking the screen in 3 places and it's been that way ever since. Every time I use the phone it is a reminder of the Note 7 fiasco and that I didn't want this phone in the first place (loved the Note 7 before they took it away), and I am wanting to finally move on.

Last year I considered the Note 8 when it came out, but I have big hesitations about a phone with a rear fingerprint sensor. I like being able to unlock my phone while it is laying flat on the desk, or while it's in its charging cradle. Especially when it's in its mount in the car, do you have to pick your phone up every time you want to unlock it? I guess you could add your car's bluetooth the the smart unlock, but there's other situations (like at work) where you don't want your phone just sitting there unlocked.

Needless to say I was hoping the rear fingerprint sensor of the Note 8 was a transition year fluke and it would be moved back to the front, or the in display sensor would be ready for the Note 9.

I kept following the rumors and it was like an emotional rollercoaster with the Note 9 if it was going to get the in display fingerprint sensor. Then it became pretty obvious it wouldn't. This phone is a beast and I really like everything I am seeing, except for the damn fingerprint sensor! I don't want unlocking the phone to become a chore, and get instant regret for the next 2 years like I've had the last 2.

Everything you read now the S10 is going to have the in display fingerprint sensor as this is the big 1-0 and Samsung needs to make a splash with a big new feature. I could wait for the S10 if I had to, but then I am giving up the S-Pen. Plus I like the "power user" specs of the Note. Would those specs be likely to be retained for the S10? It seems like in order to get what I really want I am going to have to wait for the Note 10, another year away which seems like a daunting ask for me now as a long disgruntled S7 Edge user.

So as you can see I am very conflicted about this whole thing. Can those with rear fingerprint sensors comment on what they are like to use? Was it a tough transition? Does the iris scanner help? I remember on the Note 7 the iris scanner worked pretty well, but you had to have your eyes perfectly lined up for it to work. That probably isn't going to work if the phone is laying on the desk or in the charging cradle, and having to hover your face perfectly over the phone defeats the purpose of avoiding making unlocking the phone into a chore.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Carrie Greicar

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
You can unlock with your face too and I've found this to be pretty easy on the Note 8. So you still don't have to pick up the phone so long as you have the face unlock set up from that angle. I came from the Note 5 which had a sensor on the front and I don't seem to mind the back sensor on the 8. However, the positioning of the 9 will be a little nicer to reach.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The Iris scanner is pretty decent. I do have to lift my glasses so I rarely use it but try it every once in a while. Yes you have to have it lined up perfectly.
Maybe a passcode instead of using your fingerprint.

A smart watch might solve your problem. I check my Gear S3 (Classic) and if I don't need to, I don't bother with my phone. I love it for that reason. Mine is just blue tooth, but it works great.

If your on your phone that much, you will have a hard time finding other phones that don't have a rear fingerprint scanner and they're getting harder to find.

The front fingerprint scanner isn't a guarantee. Maybe Samsung will do something different. Your going to be on another emotional rollercoaster before it comes out with all the rumors.

I use the rear fingerprint scanner and it's not a problem for me. First time using it.

The 9 should last longer so you shouldn't be charging as often.
This may also help prevent any accident while driving and having your phone. If you're at a stop, it doesn't matter where the fingerprint scanner is. Unless you drive for a living and can't pull over, phone usage shouldn't be a problem

Good luck in your search for the perfect phone.

antman451

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Fingerprint scanner on the Note 8 is a non-issue. You get used to it. Also use irises occasionally.

In the car dock, I unlock it by just hooking my finger over the top and placing my finger on the scanner that way, upside down. Works great.

Carrie Greicar

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Also there is smart lock where you can set it to stay unlocked when you are in a certain area so that might help too. Like I can set my phone to not lock when I am in my car, or at my home.

Broken Vet

Sep 10, 2017
Visit site
I actually prefer the reader on the back, so I'm no use to you there, but I also have a S7 Edge as a backup, and to use for my drone, and when I have to use the S7, it is painfully slow compared to the Note 8. I have a feeling that if you try it a Note 9, the speed alone will convince you.

boltsbearsjosh

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
I've used iPhone X and S9+ all year and in my opinion the intelligence unlock system on the S9+ works just as good and as fast as Face ID on the iphone. So you can use that in combination with the fingerprint sensor.

CKwik240

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
In addition to using smart lock in a location or with your car like others have described, you can also use it with a smart watch. I mostly only use the fingerprint sensor for logging into my banking apps. I would have loved to see the in-screen reader, but it's not a big deal with my usage on my S9+.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I actually prefer the reader on the back, so I'm no use to you there, but I also have a S7 Edge as a backup, and to use for my drone, and when I have to use the S7, it is painfully slow compared to the Note 8. I have a feeling that if you try it a Note 9, the speed alone will convince you.

I prefer it on the back as well. I love the placement on my Pixel 2 XL, but I am expecting it to be more of a pain on the Note 9 I ordered. I guess we will see.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
My first experience with a back fingerprint sensor was with the S8+ and I came from S7E. It was an easy transition for me. I got used to it right away. Once you play with the N9 you will get the gist of how to unlock it with ease.

Dimas de Leon

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
My first experience with FPS on the back was with the LG V10, then LG V20, Huawei Mate 9 and now S9 Plus.

Honestly, I prefer the FPS on the back. Once you get used to it, your finger finds it quickly and it's already unlocked by the time you pull it out of your pocket for example.

It feels more natural to unlock it with your index fingers then your thumb.

You can always unlock it with a pattern if it's laying on its back.

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
I prefer in front but not really a deal breaker for me at the back. But wonder why the FPS is in a horizontal orientation rather than vertical. Thought vertical should be more natural with your finger

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
.. But wonder why the FPS is in a horizontal orientation rather than vertical. Thought vertical should be more natural with your finger

I agree. Honestly a circle is the best (like on my Pixel 2 XL), but if it has to be a rectangle, the verticle position does seem more natural.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I also prefer the front fingerprint sensor, I had the S8+ and got rid of it, I got the Note 8 and also got rid of it, I did not care for the placement. I was fine with some rear ones, but not that placement.

on the S9+, I didn't find it as bad, so I expect the Note 9 to be ok

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a hard time getting my finger on the right spot on my Note8 if I'm holding it one handed. However, with the Note9 fingerprint reader being below the camera and the cutout on the cases making it easy to find, I don't see there being any issues.

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
The shape and placement of the FPS on the Pixel 2 XL in the best experience I've had. I don't know why Sammy wants it so close to the camera and why it can't be a circle.

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I like it on the back for the swipe down gesture to bring down your notifications. On a large phone like this, it really helps navigating it one handed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad