Hey!

Are there any Pixel 2XL owners who can speak on the quality of the front facing portrait mode on the Note 9 compared to that pixel 2XL?

Thanks!
    08-18-2018 12:20 PM
    Hey!

Are there any Pixel 2XL owners who can speak on the quality of the front facing portrait mode on the Note 9 compared to that pixel 2XL?

Thanks!
    Your question makes no sense.
    1. I'm a pixel xl2 owner.
    My P2XL takes fantastic pictures, best I've ever seen from a smart phone regardless of what mode it's shooting in.
    2. How could I possibly know how a Note 9's portrait mode looks since the phones not released yet?
    3. Why would a Pixel 2XL owner want a Note 9? If i wanted a Note, speaking for myself, I would have bought one last year, the Note 8. The P2XL came out shortly after the Note 8. I was seriously considering buying one...
    Samsung phones have a bad habit of lagging long before their 2 year pay cycles are up. I've read reports of the Note 8 doing it too.
    The last Galaxy phone I've owned was the S6. I got it on opening day of it's release. The phone was a hot mess, wouldn't stay on an incoming call or make a call. I understand Samsung fixed that pretty quick but the phone still lagged.. Then their was the whole Note 7 thing. Having lived thru a fire when younger I left that one alone. I've found no reason to stay loyal to Samsung.
    Since leaving Samsung I've owned a very nice LG phone and after the Google Pixel's initial release went so well I decided to give the P2XL a try. All the early bird cries about screen burn in a side, mine has never had an issue, this is a wonderful phone. I got Android PIE a week ago and regular security updates each month and not even a hint of lag.
    Although I find the Note 9 intriguing I have no reason to want to pay $1250 for it when it's almost identical to last year's model with a better placed finger print sensor and an ugly S-pen. Knowing me I would loose the S-pen withnin a week. I'd end up with a laggy version of what I already have minus a lost S-pen...
    I gotta pass but enjoy watching others scramble over it...
    Good luck!
    Onkel Per and TwitchyPuppy like this.
    08-18-2018 07:21 PM
    Hey!

Thanks!
    I would like to know this as well. I have a P2 XL and pre-ordered the Note 9. I just hope that it could take detailed photos WITHOUT all the beautification.
    08-18-2018 07:31 PM
    1) I've also had a pixel. 2XL since launch day.
    2) There are plenty of Note 9 phones in the wild. Every carrier store and every best buy has them out to play with.
    3) I want one because I have am bored with the Pixel 2XL, and the new Pixel 3 looks unappealing, especially with that giant notch.... I didn't want a bite last year because the Pixel 2XL seemed the best...

My P2XL takes fantastic pictures, best I've ever seen from a smart phone regardless of what mode it's shooting in.
    2. How could I possibly know how a Note 9's portrait mode looks since the phones not released yet?
    3. Why would a Pixel 2XL owner want a Note 9? If i wanted a Note, speaking for myself, I would have bought one last year, the Note 8. The P2XL came out shortly after the Note 8. I was seriously considering buying one...
    Samsung phones have a bad habit of lagging long before their 2 year pay cycles are up. I've read reports of the Note 8 doing it too.
    The last Galaxy phone I've owned was the S6. I got it on opening day of it's release. The phone was a hot mess, wouldn't stay on an incoming call or make a call. I understand Samsung fixed that pretty quick but the phone still lagged.. Then their was the whole Note 7 thing. Having lived thru a fire when younger I left that one alone. I've found no reason to stay loyal to Samsung.
    Since leaving Samsung I've owned a very nice LG phone and after the Google Pixel's initial release went so well I decided to give the P2XL a try. All the early bird cries about screen burn in a side, mine has never had an issue, this is a wonderful phone. I got Android PIE a week ago and regular security updates each month and not even a hint of lag.
    Although I find the Note 9 intriguing I have no reason to want to pay $1250 for it when it's almost identical to last year's model with a better placed finger print sensor and an ugly S-pen. Knowing me I would loose the S-pen withnin a week. I'd end up with a laggy version of what I already have minus a lost S-pen...
    Good luck!
    ihbsbA likes this.
    08-18-2018 07:51 PM
    Your question makes no sense....
    Good luck!
    Oy...

So I have a 2 XL. I’m moving to the Note 9. My 2 XL happens to be lagging intermittently for the last month or 2, since you mention it.

There are many reasons folks might move to the Note. I am super excited honestly. And if you haven’t tried a Samsung phone since the S6, it could be that your opinions of the software might be outdated. Perhaps the OS is much better now, etc. In any case, the bottom line is that there could be many reasons a 2 XL user might move on (better Note screen, longer battery life, S-pen, larger base storage and memory - on and on).

Sounds like your are happy or perhaps looking forward to the 3XL. Good luck.
    08-18-2018 10:02 PM
    Good luck!
    Many people in Note 8 forum had mentioned there's no lag even after a year now, but you would rather believe 'some' reports you read. I do heard of Pixel 2 lagging after the latest software upgrade, gd luck to you too?
    08-18-2018 10:16 PM
    My Pixel 2XL had become unusable in the past few months.... Worse in less than a year than any phone I've owned in the past years.... Kinda embarrassing, actually.
    08-18-2018 10:20 PM
    The Pixel 2XL was the most boring of all top models, had mine for a week before I returned it due to Bluetooth issues and lagging......
    08-19-2018 02:54 AM
    Two questions.
    1. How do I get my Pixel 2 XL to be lagging?
    2. How do I stop my Note 8 from lagging?
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
    08-19-2018 03:16 AM
    Anyone who got a phone which degraded and lags should try there device in safe mode first, and if it still lags, blame the phone. If no lag, look at all the stuff that you crammed in it and clean it up before bitchin.
    08-19-2018 06:35 AM
    My Pixel 2XL had become unusable in the past few months.... Worse in less than a year than any phone I've owned in the past years.... Kinda embarrassing, actually.
    For the past few months but you left it like that? It must not be as unusable as you make it sound, then.

Two questions.
    1. How do I get my Pixel 2 XL to be lagging?
    2. How do I stop my Note 8 from lagging?
    1. Don’t learn how to properly manage your phone.
    2. Don’t buy a Samsung.

Anyone who got a phone which degraded and lags should try there device in safe mode first, and if it still lags, blame the phone. If no lag, look at all the stuff that you crammed in it and clean it up before bitchin.
    Exactly. More often than not, it’s a Code 18 :P
    Onkel Per likes this.
    08-19-2018 10:21 AM
    I meant unstable.... Enough to annoy me, not enough to bother fixing it. I was destined to get a new device anyhow, as I'm usually 2-3 phone a year guy. The Pixel 2XL has been my best phone to date, fwiw
    08-19-2018 10:27 AM

1. Don’t learn how to properly manage your phone.
    Utterly unhelpful. Many many pixel 2 XL owners are seeing issues. Android Police is reporting it all the time. Artem over there actually has all kinds of issues.

Instead of he knee-jerk "you're holding it wrong" responses, perhaps it might be best to believe users who experience issues form time to time ..
    08-19-2018 11:42 AM
    Utterly unhelpful. Many many pixel 2 XL owners are seeing issues. Android Police is reporting it all the time. Artem over there actually has all kinds of issues.

Instead of he knee-jerk "you're holding it wrong" responses, perhaps it might be best to believe users who experience issues form time to time ..
    Ok, four things here:

My post wasn’t made to be helpful.

I don’t doubt that since no phones are perfect. Some are just more prone to specific issues than others.
    @Onkel Per post made me laugh, so I wanted to reply to them the same way.

I believe them even if, more often than not, it really is just that: “holding it wrong”.
    08-19-2018 11:53 AM
    ***Duplicate***
    08-19-2018 11:53 AM
    ***Duplicate***
    08-19-2018 11:54 AM

My post wasn’t made to be helpful.

Clearly.

There's too much blaming of users that goes on sometimes. I see it as more of folks being apologists for certain phones when issues arise. As you say, no phone is perfect and issues do arise. Acknowledging issues is a good step to being objective, which helps everyone. That's what lots of folks come to these forums for: for help, to seek advice and share experiences - good or bad.
    TwitchyPuppy likes this.
    08-19-2018 12:07 PM
    Anyway for the OP, most of the camera comparison videos I have seen show the 2 XL as being perhaps slightly better with FFC blur, IMO. At least 1 or 2 comparisons went the other way though.

I think it's a matter of taste though perhaps. The Pixels seem to have better contrast and sharpness in the samples I saw. The Note 9 ones were brighter and softer generally. So it might be a matter of preference. The blur itself I think is definitely a matter of taste. From the small samples I have seen, they both seem decent, but I think I may slightly prefer the Pixel blur (but maybe the Note 9 face sometimes).

Anyway, I am sure others will weigh in, and in about a week we'll have some very good data on it when we get the phones
    08-19-2018 12:13 PM
    Many people in Note 8 forum had mentioned there's no lag even after a year now, but you would rather believe 'some' reports you read. I do heard of Pixel 2 lagging after the latest software upgrade, gd luck to you too?
    I also have read that some P2 owners are having lag issues since upgrading to PIE. I'm lucky so far that i have not had any. I keep a close eye on what apps I put in my phone and their background activity. I do not allow apps to have free roam of my phone. I've done this with all my phones as much as the OS allowed it.. I'm sure PIE has a few issues that will be addressed in monthly updates by Google. At least we get monthly updates and I don't feel abandon by both my phone carrier and manufacturer.
    I'm not intending for this to sound like my phones better than yours. I'm very excited about the release of the Note 9 hoping to see things like the fictitious under screen finger print sensor or some of the other things I read are coming but haven't happened yet. I don't care who introduces new features, they will all filter down sooner or later even those native to Apple.. sooner or later.
    And yes, I do have an eye on the P3XL but not at launch, no more launch phones for me, not at these prices. Samsung did teach me not to jump to fast, I'm not a beta tester, again, not at these prices. If a company wants me to beta test their product they need to pay me for putting up with their buggy devices. I'm not going to pay them to be their beta tester!
    As for battery, I get 16 hours on a charge with 40% battery remaining on my normal usage, more is always better but I'm good with what I have for battery life. I saw a small improvement with PIE and the phone's intuitiveness has also improved, I'm seeing the AI stuff doing it's thing in making the experience more custom to my usage and needs, it's cool but scare's the hell out of me at the same time.
    Big Brother is here!!
    I'm hoping the new Note does all that and way more, like I said, it will filter down, to some faster than others.
    08-19-2018 12:24 PM
    If you are having issues it's either apps you gave installed or there is something wrong with your specific phone.

In any event, I think we are moving off topic.
    Onkel Per likes this.
    08-19-2018 12:46 PM
    pixel 1 & 2 owner here, previously owned every single Galaxy and Note (up to 7) - I went to Pixel after the battery debacle.

I believe I'll be going back to Note 9.
    1.) I'm a victim of the embarrassing lag on pixel - it's irritating and ridiculous
    2.) I miss the S pen.
    3.) I don't believe the camera is all that great. I've watched a thousand comparisons and I understand the logistics, but when I see my husband's s8 photos, they are more pleasing to my eye.
    4.) I can't stand the asymmetric display on the pixel 3. a freaking huge *** notch and a chin...c'mon. I'd rather keep my big pixel 2 bezels.

so...for whomever asked "why would a pixel 2 owner switch to note" - there you have it.
    KillerQ and Chris Williams8 like this.
    08-19-2018 10:14 PM
    I also have read that some P2 owners are having lag issues since upgrading to PIE. I'm lucky so far that i have not had any. I keep a close eye on what apps I put in my phone and their background activity. I do not allow apps to have free roam of my phone. I've done this with all my phones as much as the OS allowed it.. I'm sure PIE has a few issues that will be addressed in monthly updates by Google. At least we get monthly updates and I don't feel abandon by both my phone carrier and manufacturer.
    I'm not intending for this to sound like my phones better than yours. I'm very excited about the release of the Note 9 hoping to see things like the fictitious under screen finger print sensor or some of the other things I read are coming but haven't happened yet. I don't care who introduces new features, they will all filter down sooner or later even those native to Apple.. sooner or later.
    And yes, I do have an eye on the P3XL but not at launch, no more launch phones for me, not at these prices. Samsung did teach me not to jump to fast, I'm not a beta tester, again, not at these prices. If a company wants me to beta test their product they need to pay me for putting up with their buggy devices. I'm not going to pay them to be their beta tester!
    As for battery, I get 16 hours on a charge with 40% battery remaining on my normal usage, more is always better but I'm good with what I have for battery life. I saw a small improvement with PIE and the phone's intuitiveness has also improved, I'm seeing the AI stuff doing it's thing in making the experience more custom to my usage and needs, it's cool but scare's the hell out of me at the same time.
    Big Brother is here!!
    I'm hoping the new Note does all that and way more, like I said, it will filter down, to some faster than others.
    I have pre-ordered the Note 9 because there was no money required. I'll decide on Friday if the newness will allow me to beta test...lol I'm itching for something new because I'm bored with the Pixel 2.
    I'm mostly worried (genuinely) about wrist fatigue and the death of my pinkie holding that heavier phone... TBH
    08-19-2018 10:17 PM
    Good lord this thread is fail. OP asks a legitimate question and thread goes off the rails talking about everything except that.

OP I haven't gotten to play with the Note 9 yet, but there are some text and video camera comparisons that mention the FFC, though they're mostly focused on the rear. As an example, there's this photo https://cdn2.i-scmp.com/sites/defaul...res_172253.JPG and about halfway down this camera comparison: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-...view-5660.html comparing the P2XL, N9 and IPX.
    KillerQ, eRod v1.0 and GuidZilla like this.
    08-20-2018 08:44 AM
    Good lord this thread is fail. OP asks a legitimate question and thread goes off the rails talking about everything except that.

OP I haven't gotten to play with the Note 9 yet, but there are some text and video camera comparisons that mention the FFC, though they're mostly focused on the rear. As an example, there's this photo https://cdn2.i-scmp.com/sites/defaul...res_172253.JPG and about halfway down this camera comparison: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/galaxy-...view-5660.html comparing the P2XL, N9 and IPX.
    I know right lol
    08-20-2018 03:39 PM