Note 9 Light Leak!

WSmith20

Aug 29, 2018
Visit site
Currently I have an S7 Edge (now Son's), S8 Plus (Wife's), Note 8 (Currently in upgrade progress with Samsung Upgrade Program and waiting to be sent back), S9 Plus (Current device) and none of these display this issue.

Samsung has also confirmed it to be an issue (Manufacturing Defect) after seeing my photos and numerous discussions. It wasn't until they saw the pics they finally understood my issue and agreed this should not be like that.

Granted yours looks the worse, and in your case I would seek replacement. But for reference Samsung posted this statement for the s7 edge https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...e-if-being-used-in-the-dark%2F&token=KuS38Bu0

vinod418

Aug 29, 2018
Visit site
Currently I have an S7 Edge (now Son's), S8 Plus (Wife's), Note 8 (Currently in upgrade progress with Samsung Upgrade Program and waiting to be sent back), S9 Plus (Current device) and none of these display this issue.

Samsung has also confirmed it to be an issue (Manufacturing Defect) after seeing my photos and numerous discussions. It wasn't until they saw the pics they finally understood my issue and agreed this should not be like that.

I observed the same leak today morning ..what to do..
https://youtu.be/tWNnrt0yaQ8
I had made a video ..hope Samsung guy will see it and respond

Rwboyer

Aug 29, 2018
Visit site
Am currently talking to Verizon to get a replacement sent to me. Mine is all the way up the right side of the phone and although not always noticable I am not allowing this on a $1000 device. It's really probably about 1 pixel wide but being in between black it sticks out

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I'm scared to even look for it because once I see it I won't be able to unsee
LOL that was funny. I am scared to and will not go there. Phone in a case and love it. Don't want to not love it anymore.

I do trade in my phone every year for an upgrade to the next note. So even if this is there on my phone. I won't do anything about it. But hey, been using the phone for almost a week. Didn't notice anything, so I am not going to look any closer. Life is good.

TurdRon_FergusonBurgundy

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
Honestly, I would just ignore it. This is a result of mass manufacturing. No point in sending back something based on aesthetics to possibly get something that DOES have something functionally wrong with it.

This is ABSURD! You think the OP should "settle" on this after paying over $1000 on the phone? Hell no, you send it back and back and back until you get exactly what you paid for. A premium phone. This light leak is unacceptable and the fact some say they do not have it tells me it's not the way every phone is made. I'd be returning until I got one without.

TurdRon_FergusonBurgundy

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
To each their own. I'm just saying that an aesthetic defect is a lot better than a function defect.

This is not just a little scratch on the frame that can be easily hidden or forgotten about. This is a significant defect and one that can greatly impact the experience of using the phone. In no way should the OP settle on this, he paid the same amount as those without the light leaking frame, he should have a phone that is free from it too.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You think the OP should "settle" on this after paying over $1000 on the phone?

For an aesthetic/cosmetic flaw, yes. You don't have unlimited exchanges. Your next exchange could be a functional defect like dropped pixels, bad speakers, etc. If you go through the warranty, at some point you will be dealing with refurbished devices.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This is not just a little scratch on the frame that can be easily hidden or forgotten about. This is a significant defect and one that can greatly impact the experience of using the phone. In no way should the OP settle on this, he paid the same amount as those without the light leaking frame, he should have a phone that is free from it too.

It's still an aesthetic/cosmetic defect; not a functioning one. If this were a bad speaker, physical button, etc, I would agree. But it isn't.

TurdRon_FergusonBurgundy

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
It's the light from the screen refracting through the glass, as the screen is curved down the edges it means the screen reflects off the frame of the phone. You can re create it by shining a light directly on the screen and the glass will reflect it on to the frame and you'll see what looks like light leak ... the reason covering the screen doesn't stop the light refracting is because it's still happening inside the glass. If Samsung used a black coating along the edge of the glass we wouldn't be seeing this "anomaly". It's been there since the galaxy s7 edge

Incorrect. It is due to a $#%&! frame paint job at the manufacturer. Samsung has acknowledged this and is investigating. It's reported that not all phones receive the same coating of paint which is why you see it on some devices and not on others. I would not be settling for some spotty paint job, we spend too much on these phones and a leaky display like that to me is unacceptable. You pay a premium you should receive premium.

Last edited:

TurdRon_FergusonBurgundy

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
It's still an aesthetic/cosmetic defect; not a functioning one. If this were a bad speaker, physical button, etc, I would agree. But it isn't.

The display is one of, if not the most important aspect of our phones. Could you imagine being one who doesn't use a case or using a case that doesn't hide it and every time you look at your display you see spotty light leaks along the frame? In NO way is this acceptable. Not even close. Hold Samsung accountable.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The display is one of, if not the most important aspect of our phones. Could you imagine being one who doesn't use a case or using a case that doesn't hide it and every time you look at your display you see spotty light leaks along the frame? In NO way is this acceptable. Not even close. Hold Samsung accountable.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree.

donb2010

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I read about this issue this morning, checked my phone and oh crap! my phone has it too. It's especially noticeable on the left side when I have an app open and scrolling up and down, the right side has a small streak on top and even smaller one on the bottom. How did this get pass quality control? Now I'm pondering what to do next?

Last edited:

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I read about this issue this morning, checked my phone and oh crap! my phone has it too. It's especially noticeable on the left side when I have an app open and scrolling up and down, the right side has a small streak on top and even smaller one on the bottom. How did this get pass quality control? Now I'm pondering what to do next?
It past quality control the same way it past you not noticing it for days hehehe

Android57

Aug 23, 2018
Visit site
I still think it's just the refraction of the light on the curved glass. My old S8+ even has is but when you turn it just a little it goes away. I have my brightness down and a dark theme but it's still there and changes by the images on the screen.

As for trying to cover the light from the phone, you can't block the light that is inside the glass itself (without it being cracked and putting something in between the cracks in the glass) the light will still travel throughout the glass.

Attachments

• received_522264608227069.jpg
    received_522264608227069.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 60
  • received_486475805158772.jpg
    received_486475805158772.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 59
  • received_543802836057424.jpg
    received_543802836057424.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

jrham

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I still think it's just the refraction of the light on the curved glass. My old S8+ even has is but when you turn it just a little it goes away. I have my brightness down and a dark theme but it's still there and changes by the images on the screen.

As for trying to cover the light from the phone, you can't block the light that is inside the glass itself (without it being cracked and putting something in between the cracks in the glass) the light will still travel throughout the glass.
Totally agree, I think it's like how light travels through fiber optic cable. If you look at the edge with "light bleed" it almost always has something white or bright near the spot. Light just traveling to the visible edge of the glass screen but that's just my opinion.

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I've figured it out. This is just like the black and blue dress picture that drove everyone crazy a couple of years ago. Some see the light leak, and some don't. I've shown my phone to 8 people, and out of those 8, 1 person could see it. My phone has the leak on both sides. I wish that I couldn't see it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34