Sprint Note 9 does NOT have Calling Plus

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
So I got my Note 9 Wednesday. I haven't finished setting it up, but one of the things I found was that Sprint's wonderful calling Plus feature is absent. That means unlike with the Note 8, I can't call and use data simultaneously. I realize that feature is still in beta but it's been out for a year and a half now. I remember having to wait a bit to get that feature for the Note 8 but I have no way of knowing if it's coming soon to the Note 9. I would think adding this feature would be a priority for Sprint - given the cost of this phone!

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Is it something that can be added like an app perhaps?

Calling Plus is a feature that can only be added through an OS software update. Essentially, it's like a Voice over LTE (VoLTE) calling function. Sprint's network traditionally did not allow Simultaneous voice and data. They did for a short while when LTE was first deployed on their network, but when LTE Plus was deployed, the dual radio frequencies it used made it impossible to build phones that could take advantage of LTE Plus and simultaneously do Data. Last year, to fix this problem, Sprint released and update to the Galaxy S8/S8+ phones that added the Calling Plus feature in Beta. By turning this on, Calls to and from the phone were routed through LTE Data (Think Wifi Calling but through LTE instead). This allowed for Data to be used simultaneously. Though phone calls did not work in all cases, it got the job done 98% of the time and allowed me to browse the web, or do GPS. When I got the Note 8 on Sprint, this feature was missing. After a few months, an OS update was pushed which added the feature. Now, that the Note 9 is out, I assumed it would be out of Beta by now. But alas, the feature is missing and is the most annoying part about the phone right now.

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE: I FOUND A FIX
The following are instructions that I added modifications to for clarity. The original instructions were found at XDA at https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-9/help/sprint-calling-plus-t3832684

I should also note that these instructions DO NOT activate Calling Plus per se. After completing these instructions you will NOT see an option to activate Calling Plus in the settings as usual with the Note 8. Instead, you can simply place a call and use data. No function to activate. It just works - like it should. In fact, I'm using it right now. (WARNING: I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THIS WILL AFFECT THE SPRINT BILL! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED).

1 - Download Shortcut Master (LITE)
2 - Open it and click "Search" under the menu and searched for enhancedlte
3 - Click the option that pops up (should say "Mobile Networks
com.samsung.blahblahblah.EnhancedLteServices)

4 - Click the Launch Button from the 3 boxes that pop up. (If an advertisement shows after doing this, simply hit the back button on the bottom navigation bar.)
5 - Check the box for "Enhanced LTE Services"
6 - Hit theBack button on the bottom navigation bar.
7 - Search for LTEFunctionality
8 - Click on the top option (Should say com.test.LTEfunctionality
com.test.LTEfunctionality.LTEfunctionalityTEST)

9 - Click Launch from the 3 boxes
10 - Scroll down to VoLTE Test UI and click it
11 - Turn on N/W PS voice support and N/W PS E911 support
12 - Hit the back button on the bottom navigation bar.
13 - Exit the App.

NOTE: I restarted my phone after doing this but I don't think its necessary. It should work after completing the above steps.

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Isn’t it possible, if required, to make a call and use mobile data on 3G?

This has never been possible for 3G due to Sprint's CDMA Network. Verizon also used the same tech and also had this limitation. When both networks upgraded to LTE, this started to become a thing of the past. Read above for what happened with Sprint.

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
OMG !! All carrier got VoLTE since 2015 , but Sprint still not upgrade for their network .

Sprint started testing VoLTE early last year and most of the premium phones that were released last year and this year works with it. They just didn't release the Note 9 with it working. Using the steps above should get it working.

yejide OSIBERU

Aug 26, 2018
Visit site
@Starfleet Captain, I must say this "you are a genius" the info you gave about the calling plus on sprint note 9 worked like magic. I just got my note 9 today from sprint and was worried about the calling and surfing feature that I had on my note 8. I joined this forum and your advice worked for me. Thank you and keep up the good work.

Joe

bboozer

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Is this available just over mobile? I had a Galaxy S7 and could do both when on WiFi calling at home, but not over cellular... And that brings me to my next question... I got the 512 unlocked and I am on Sprint... I can't find the WiFi calling feature (maybe it was a Sprint pre-loaded app that I didn't get with the unlocked) is there a recommended app for that? I don't have great signal when I am at home

Bops731

Sep 1, 2018
Visit site
Confirmed working on note 9 for sprint followed instructions even on restarting my phone. The only difference was instead of hitting the 3 dots on the top right of shortcut master app I had to press the actual file of the name I searched then three options popped up and I pressed the rocket picture that was named Launch, then proceeded on to the next step. thanks a lot starfleet captain.

EMT J

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Great find! Works like a charm. Didn't even restart. Just immediately made a call and got online after following the setup instructions 👍🏼👍🏼👏 Hopefully no upcoming updates fudge it up.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I'll have to try this as it drives me nuts not being able to be one on a call.
Great find! Works like a charm. Didn't even restart. Just immediately made a call and got online after following the setup instructions Hopefully no upcoming updates fudge it up.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon