What are the benefits of an unlocked phone vs a carrier phone?

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I ask because I have been with Sprint for 20+ years. I know when I get my phones through them, they work on their network and if something is wrong with the phone; Sprint has to foot the bill.

Am I missing something?

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
I ask because I have been with Sprint for 20+ years. I know when I get my phones through them, they work on their network and if something is wrong with the phone; Sprint has to foot the bill.

Am I missing something?
The only plus I can think of is, no carrier bloat, but with 512 Gb of storage, I don't mind. You lose features on unlocked phones.

Last edited:

celawlor

Aug 23, 2018
Visit site
I am on Verizon and this is my first unlocked phone. Verizon (and other carriers, I believe) block certain stock apps and install their own apps that you cannot delete. For example, the spam blocking app on Samsung is removed and replaced with Verizon's that requires a monthly fee. There are many examples just like that one.

For me, I travel for work internationally. It is ridiculously expensive to use Verizon internationally for any length of time. I want to be able to get a local prepaid sim card when I am elsewhere and switch them out with no fuss.

celawlor

Aug 23, 2018
Visit site
I got the phone from Samsung. I guess I assumed that would still be applicable since I have the family protection plan being billed to my account. I'll have to check that out! I'll update here once I find out.
Celawlor, did you put TOTAL EQUIPMENT PROTECTION on your unlocked phone with Verizon?

celawlor

Aug 23, 2018
Visit site
I got the phone from Samsung. I guess I assumed that would still be applicable since I have the family protection plan being billed to my account. I'll have to check that out! I'll update here once I find out.
My Note 9 is still covered under the multi-device plan. If you don't have that, you may want to check.