Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

10-26-2018 08:42 AM
51 123
tools
    - There is no visual voice mail (you have to manually dial in to vmail). I fixed this by signing up for a Google Voice number and having unanswered calls and busy calls forwarded to that and use that as voice mail instead. It is much better than AT&T visual voice mail, so I would probably do this even if I had AT&T visual voicemail.
    You can change thast tgo have the Google Voice number call your cellphone. Then give out your Google Voice number. No worry about porting anything if you change carriers, part of the country, parts of the world (planet, when we get to Mars and have Mars internet and Earth internet connected together), etc. I'm still not sure of my phone number, but I've been using my GV number as "my" number for years. When they ask if I want my old number ported, I say "no, don't bother, that's not the one I use anyway", then have to explain how GV works.
    08-29-2018 10:28 PM
    Well, for me it was supposed to be the ability to switch to Verizon this fall. AT&T is terrible in the Albuquerque/Santa Fe area, so I had a grand plan to get the free headphones and $400 for my Note 8 and then switch the whole family over (iPhone users) in October. I had no idea of the issues with losing features until after I had ordered the phone and the pre-order deals went away. It was then then I started coming across posts about unlocked phones, and that they are even worse on Verizon.

So, it seems to be working fine for me so far (we'll see how it goes when I travel in rural areas) and I plan on sticking with this phone for the next year. AT&T is so bad out here that I might not notice a difference! If it goes fine, I will stay with unlocked for the flexibility. If nothing else, I'll know a lot more about unlocked phones! Still might switch to Verizon this fall...
    Actually, I have used the Note 9 unlocked on both AT&T and Verizon and in my experience this is not accurate. Got my unlocked Note 9 last Friday and had it on AT&T until Tuesday. No VOLTE or HD Calling. You can talk and use data simultaneously but it drops you down to HSPA+ for data. With Verizon, VOLTE works and I have been able to talk and browse on LTE. Not that that is a deal breaker, I find HSPA to be plenty fine and I'm not talking and browsing at the same time very often.

Wifi Calling does not appear to work for either carrier. I've yet to try to set up visual voicemail for Verizon but I use Google Voice for my voicemail so there is no need for native visual voicemail.
    droidiac13 likes this.
    08-30-2018 09:47 AM
    I thought ATT had a visual voicemail app available on the Play Store... I think I've read threads about it before.
    I think it may only work on AT&T branded phones. Same with WiFi calling and HD Voice, etc.
    08-30-2018 11:19 AM
    The ATT visual voicemail does work on unlocked phones, but the transcription leaves a lot to be desired.
    droidiac13 likes this.
    09-01-2018 08:49 PM
    Actually, I have used the Note 9 unlocked on both AT&T and Verizon and in my experience this is not accurate. Got my unlocked Note 9 last Friday and had it on AT&T until Tuesday. No VOLTE or HD Calling. You can talk and use data simultaneously but it drops you down to HSPA+ for data. With Verizon, VOLTE works and I have been able to talk and browse on LTE. Not that that is a deal breaker, I find HSPA to be plenty fine and I'm not talking and browsing at the same time very often.

Wifi Calling does not appear to work for either carrier. I've yet to try to set up visual voicemail for Verizon but I use Google Voice for my voicemail so there is no need for native visual voicemail.
    100% agree with everything you have written. Started out with my unlocked on Verizon, VoLTE worked great, could talk and surf on LTE without any issues. No wifi calling, but I don't use it.

Moved it to AT&T and when on a call can only get H+. I was able to download AT&T visual voicemail and it works perfectly as it should. No VoLTE or HD calling for me either. I have messed with the APN settings and no luck. AT&T reps say it should work fine, but I'm not sure they know what they are talking about. One other note, while I am on LTE, the speeds jump up and down terribly. 10 to 50 for download. It's absolutely terrible.
    09-08-2018 02:42 PM
    See attached screenshot of speeds.
    Attached Thumbnails My experience with an unlocked Note 9 on AT&T-screenshot_20180908-144105_speedtest.jpg  
    09-08-2018 02:43 PM
    No, it's a combination of the modem (the same for all GSM carriers) and the signal strength. If you don't have great signal strength with AT&T, you're using the wrong carrier (and it's costing you battery).
    This is true. At home, I have to use WiFi calling on AT&T or else I have no signal at least during the day time. At night, my signal is good enough that I can stream YouTube videos on 720p. WiFi calling has saved my battery life and on phones where I could not use WiFi calling, the battery life has lasted maybe 16 hrs with very light screen use.

Because of this, I bought an AT&T Note 9 so that I could use WiFi calling.

I've been able to use my AT&T sim on iPhones with no problems because any iPhone supports AT&T WiFi calling straight out of the box no matter what phone as long as it's carrier unlocked, factory unlocked or the AT&T model. It's just Android phones that don't always support WiFi calling.

On my AT&T Note 9, I'm getting 1-1.5 days standby with 4-5 hrs screen time which is great and that's with WiFi calling on so WiFi calling does improve the battery with a weak signal.

I have a few lines on T-Mobile still and I've been buying unlocked phones to use on it. I have a unlocked S9+ that I'm using on T-Mobile and a factory unlocked iPhone 8+.

I came back to AT&T in March to try it out and I may or may not keep my two lines due to the signal at home issue and that's why I still have T-Mobile. Before WiFi calling existed, I could not use AT&T at all and bailed on them around 2011 or so.

Thank God WiFi calling exists.
    TMavC5 likes this.
    09-08-2018 08:16 PM
    The best part of T-mobile. I get all of these on my unlocked note 8.
    WiFi calling, video calling, HD voice and Visual voicemail.
    No compromises.
    LCW likes this.
    09-09-2018 11:27 AM
    Can't you use wifi calling with Google voice?
    09-10-2018 09:54 AM
    Can't you use wifi calling with Google voice?
    Google Voice is just an app.
    09-10-2018 09:57 AM
    Google Voice is just an app.
    https://support.google.com/voice/ans...DAndroid&hl=en
    09-10-2018 10:03 AM
    Looks like those instructions are outdated because I can find no reference to WiFi calling in Google Voice settings.
    09-10-2018 10:07 AM
    Mine shows it.
    Attached Thumbnails My experience with an unlocked Note 9 on AT&T-5922.jpg  
    09-10-2018 10:10 AM
    Mine shows it.
    I just don't see it anywhere in settings. I guess that's why I never knew it was possible.
    09-10-2018 10:14 AM
    I just don't see it anywhere in settings. I guess that's why I never knew it was possible.
    Try the first link that I posted, I think you have to sign up for it.
    09-10-2018 10:16 AM
    Try the first link that I posted, I think you have to sign up for it.
    I will. My Note 9 is an AT&T model but I have an unlocked S9+ and I'd like to find out about this.
    09-10-2018 10:18 AM
    I will. My Note 9 is an AT&T model but I have an unlocked S9+ and I'd like to find out about this.
    https://support.google.com/voice/for...1PrV21Y/?hl=en
    09-10-2018 10:19 AM
    i did what it said. It said I would get an email when it's available.
    Harlemknight likes this.
    09-10-2018 10:48 AM
    I know on the unlocked v20 wifi calling was hidden. There are apps you can download that find hidden apps on your phone. See if that finds wifi calling if you're using Verizon, Att or Sprint and switch it on.

I use tmobile so no worries.
    09-10-2018 01:53 PM
    First, I'll say I love the Note 9. I came from an AT&T-branded Note 8, and before that iPhones for 10 yrs. The Note 9 is an improvement in areas that mean a lot to me, including the camera, battery life, internal storage, and the pen. Getting $400 for my Note 8, Samsung financing, and the free noise cancelling headphones helped for sure!

I was a bit concerned after I order the unlocked phone. I caught wind on forums about the challenges with bringing an unlocked phone to AT&T (and Verizon, for that matter). Here are my observations:

- The SIM card transferred to my Note 9 easily. Once I inserted the card in the Note 9, the phone rebooted so it could configure to accommodate subscribed voice and data features. As a result, I did not have to identify or program any of the "APN" settings that AT&T recommends on their web site.
    - Mobile hot spot works fine and is fast. Works just like the branded phone.
    - LTE is available and works fine.
    - WiFi calling, video calling, and HD voice are not available, but those are not features I really care about for now.
    - There is no visual voice mail (you have to manually dial in to vmail). I fixed this by signing up for a Google Voice number and having unanswered calls and busy calls forwarded to that and use that as voice mail instead. It is much better than AT&T visual voice mail, so I would probably do this even if I had AT&T visual voicemail.
    - Despite several threads on the web stating Numbersync wold not work, it is actually working fine between my unlocked Note 9 and Gear S3. It activated without incident and is working as it did with my branded Note 8.

So far, everything else seems to work the same. I will update over the next several days as I come across things. So far, I am happy with the unlocked phone. Feels cleaner and I'm not tied to one carrier.
    So I need to know if I buy a un-loked note9 will wifi work or not! I live in the hills and lots of trees and need wifi calling
    09-18-2018 11:45 PM
    So I need to know if I buy a un-loked note9 will wifi work or not[.] I live in the hills and lots of trees and need wifi calling
    It works for some carriers and not for others. Ask your carrier.
    09-19-2018 06:59 AM
    So I need to know if I buy a un-loked note9 will wifi work or not! I live in the hills and lots of trees and need wifi calling
    Who's your carrier? It doesn't work for AT&T for sure and I don't think Verizon or Sprint either. The only carrier I know for sure is TMobile.

Actually if you read above your comment your question has been answered with regards to the other carriers.
    09-19-2018 07:41 AM
    I have experienced similar results to a few other people in this thread, just with different phones. I have used a number of unlocked phones over the last many years: Moto X OG and 2014 models, Pixel XL and XL2. Before those I had a Galaxy S4 I believe, and most recently had a Galaxy Note 7 before the recall. Until a few months back, I commuted 65 miles over a somewhat rural area. I have noticed that ALL of the unlocked phones struggle to hand off calls between cell towers that are not in large cities much more frequently than the carrier Galaxy phones do.

I honestly feel that AT&T purposely gives all unlocked phones worse service in some way. Yes, my evidence is anecdotal, but after so many years, and being with many other people who's carrier locked ATT phones are working fine, it's too much to be just coincidence.

Unfortunately, I feel like I have no choice but to play their game. I now sell real estate and this past weekend was the breaking point for me. Every time I am out in the country showing acreage, my Pixel struggles to switch between towers. And even when I show I have a strong signal, my data download rate is much slower than others. I wish I could switch to TMO, but their coverage in my area is laughable, so I feel stuck to play their game and pick up an AT&T branded phone instead of an unlocked one.
    Gayle Lynn likes this.
    10-24-2018 11:18 AM
    If we're going anecdotal, I'd like to say my unlocked note gets better signal than my att branded lg v35
    10-24-2018 12:11 PM
    It's not about signal, it's about actual service. My signal strength shows better on my Pixel than my note, but didn't translate into actual performance
    10-24-2018 12:56 PM
51 123