Opinion on headphones?

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Am I alone in thinking these N60 Wireless sets kinda suck? The deep bass is almost non existent. What is there is kinda boomy. Mids have a tiny sound to them and overall, they have little presence to the audio. The noise canceling works pretty good. Though I notice if I disable the NC, the audio gets even worse. Bass becomes totally nonexistent.

Now, they aren't terrible. But the Y50 set i got with my S8 sound much better. They were free so that's good. But if I paid nearly 200 for these I'd be returning them immediately.

Note that I do all my audio listening via wired 3.5mm Jack. The BT isn't bad but it sounds better wired.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Edited: I have to admit that I was biased because if reviews. I was wrong.

Firstly, for spoken audio, these are amazing. For music, they are really good. Having finally gotten them and tested them, I think these are amazing for free, and I could see paying $150 for them on the open market.

Last edited:

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Wow, not good. Maybe I should have gotten those Fortnite vbucks instead.

Just to be clear, we're talking about the AKG wireless headphones from the promotion, right? I opted for this, but I don't think they've shipped yet.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes. The wireless promotion headphones.

I just did some back to back with the N60 vs the Y50s I got Last year with S8. Damn, huge difference. The N60 sounds lifeless in comparison. And that's with the noise canceling enabled. For some reason if you turn the noise canceling off the sound profile changes a lot. They sound like cheap cans. WTH? I'll admit this is my first experience with active noise canceling, is this typical? I'm used to noise isolating headsets. The Y50s with the s8 are currently my best sounding set to comparing these new ones to. Unfortunately my Audio Technicas finally died after 15 years of service. Been meaning to replace them with new ones, was hoping these N60s would be it. Guess not.

theurbantwist

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I wish I hadn't done the pre-order. Now folks are getting the dual charger. That's pretty slick.

But the trade in value of phone is less now. Samsung gave me $300 for the S7 edge... Now it's $100. So if I would have waited, would have lost out on $200 bucks. And with that $200 savings, if I wanted to I could buy wireless docking station.

So it all depends on your perspective and if you traded in phone or not with the Preorder because all trade-ins across the board were higher than it is now.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
Am I alone in thinking these N60 Wireless sets kinda suck? The deep bass is almost non existent. What is there is kinda boomy. Mids have a tiny sound to them and overall, they have little presence to the audio. The noise canceling works pretty good. Though I notice if I disable the NC, the audio gets even worse. Bass becomes totally nonexistent.
I actually LIKE them because they're not overly bassy, which is something I can't say about my other headphones.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised they send them out within the return window for the phone.
They have been doing that for many releases now. They don't wait for gifts to be sent until after the return period expires. For orders from Samsung.com when you return the phone you have to return the pre order gifts since it's all part of the same order and they can track. But when you buy outside of Samsung.com and claim the rewards thru shop Samsung app and then return the phone to your carrier or wherever you bought, you get to keep the gifts. I'm pretty sure Samsung knows this but probably doesn't care since this will be a tiny percent and majority of people aren't returning their phones.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site

Now, they aren't terrible. But the Y50 set i got with my S8 sound much better. They were free so that's good. But if I paid nearly 200 for these I'd be returning them immediately.

Note that I do all my audio listening via wired 3.5mm Jack. The BT isn't bad but it sounds better wired.
At least you're lucky enough that your old akg headphones actually work still. Mine stopped charging after about 4 months.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
At least you're lucky enough that your old akg headphones actually work still. Mine stopped charging after about 4 months.
Mine still hold a charge. But I rarely use them wirelessly. They sound better via 3.5mm jack. I like the noise canceling of the N60s, but they sound so anemic to my other headphones. Still amazed they charge so much for them at retail.

james702283

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Um, how do you turn on and off the noise cancelling feature? I see no mention of this in the manual or any buttons on them for it. Is this an option when you are using them wired only?

jeffg9

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I second this. There is no low end what so ever. I turned up the bass on the phone which seemed to actually make it worse. Ugh. I mean free is free, but would have rather had VR which funny enough is what it said on the outside of the box the headphones came in.

***edit*** with the headphones attached with the wire the sound is amazing. Kinda defeats the purpose of wireless headphones.

Last edited:

jeffg9

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Um, how do you turn on and off the noise cancelling feature? I see no mention of this in the manual or any buttons on them for it. Is this an option when you are using them wired only?

I have been looking too. Only mentions it on step 5 of the instructions which is the wired part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae