Network speed issues

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I really don't want to be a hater, and I am not. I absolutely love this device. But would like all of you new owners to keep an eye on network speeds and see if there is a problem.

I was getting some buffering on Youtube today. Then notices some slow page loads on WiFi. Did a speed test and was getting 1.66 download speed. Testing my connection on another device... 126 download speed. Then I turned off WiFi and tested on the cell network. 80 download. Then toggled WiFi back on and 123 download... so it fixed itself with a toggle off and on the WiFi.

I also noticed over the last few days that I have been getting very poor results on LTE with 5 bars... like 3.08 on one and 8.6 on another. But most others have been 80+ downlaod speed.

My question is if anyone else is getting random slowdowns... maybe the modem firmware is having issues?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Bars mean nothing for LTE. You would have to check the -dBm of previous phone to current phone to see if the signal is truly the same. Phones can calculate "bars" differently.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

At&t... though I had the same issue on wifi.

I was not comparing signal strength I had near zero. Despite their being towers in view in almost every direction, in the middle of an urban area.

I am not looking for explanations, I am looking for similar experiences.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
0dBm is a lot of signal. Too much actually.

What? Never mind. I will keep an eye on my own device and hope it isn't a consistent problem. My point for the 3rd time was that I am sure I had enough signal, but the device was acting like I didnt. I has happened at a few locations and even on wifi.

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
you can have towers all around you but if the area is congested, lots of users, signal strength doesn't matter. As far as wifi, disconnecting and reconnecting could have given you higher priority on that network.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
At&t... though I had the same issue on wifi.

I was not comparing signal strength I had near zero. Despite their being towers in view in almost every direction, in the middle of an urban area.

I am not looking for explanations, I am looking for similar experiences.

You think you had near zero because the bars said so yet .. You could have had a decent albeit on the weak side signal.

Just saying -- It is odd to look for similar experiences by going off bars. It just isn't a reliable resource. The AT&T model could show different then the unlocked model and so on.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Oh, forget it. Never said anything about bars being the measure, or anything. Just saw several times where the device showed ABNORMAL excessivly slow speeds.

You all decided to drill me over the definition of abnormal rather than simply keeping an eye on your devices to see if you had noticed similar abnormalities. I do expect that at any given moment the speed may be affected by 1000's of variables. And that at any moment my speed may drop significantly.. but this shouldn't be a situation that I notice multiple times in only a few days.