Things you've discovered

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The 2 XL was the phone I really wanted and I was very impressed by it despite what the tech community had to say... until I started using the note 9 with all the additional features that it brings to the table.

With the toned down Samsung experience, this is a major win in my book now and I love it.
I agree! I've been away from Samsung since rooted S4, about three years ago. I had a Note 3 very briefly, but couldn't get into it. This phone is awesome and I can't even root it!

Beansr519

Nov 28, 2018
Visit site
Through all of the research for choosing and setting up, I started to get enamored by it. It's a really great phone.
So, I was really digging the wife's Note 9 and all it could do and theming options and thinking that I would like one... Now I'm researching what all the S Pen can do.
Colour me happy!

I did the same thing! i had an iPhone and my wife had some LG phone, we were both upgrade eligible, so i started doing some research. While searching for the new iphone, reading all of it's reviews, i came across an "iPhone vs Note 9" review. As i started reading about the Note 9, all of it's options...i figured that i would go to the store and play around with the demo, mind you, i didn't even hear about the Note 9 launch except for hearing that people were logging in to the new Samsung phones to get some Fortnite skin (?). So i go to the store, i play with the iPhone Max for about 30 seconds, nothing new, so i go across the isle to the Note 9 display...i was literally on the demo phone for about 20 minutes, if not more!! Being that i was with apple for so long, i forgot about all the things that you could do with an android phone, and the S-Pen?!?! i love the fact that if i'm taking notes, stop, and my screen locks, all i have have to do is hit the S-pen button! i'm usually one who masters his phone in the first week or so, but this phone???? It's been over a month since i've purchased it and i'm still unlocking it's potential!

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
The 2 XL was the phone I really wanted and I was very impressed by it despite what the tech community had to say... until I started using the note 9 with all the additional features that it brings to the table.

With the toned down Samsung experience, this is a major win in my book now and I love it.
Before deciding on the Note 9, I came quite close to buying a Pixel 2XL. I feel I would have had the same reaction as you. :) I've felt that way with previous IPhones and previous Google/Huwai phones.

bob2300

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Biggest changes for me. Pie controls were helpful for my LG v20 because it was so big plus I like more screen real estate, no difference with the note 9. Unfortunately the navigation bar still comes up when the keyboard is open, hopefully that gets fixed or a mod comes out for pie. Finally, Google keyboard, Google messaging, and pixel themes all make this device look like a pixel aka aesthetic AF

Attachments

• tempFileForShare_20190130-170929.jpg
    tempFileForShare_20190130-170929.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Screenshot_20190130-171126_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190130-171126_Gallery.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot_20190130-171706_Samsung Themes.jpg
    Screenshot_20190130-171706_Samsung Themes.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 68

darksirhenry

Jun 3, 2018
Visit site
i discovered that it is almost impossible to find a case that protects the edges of the screen well... sure all of them come with a bottom and top lip but the lip does not exist on the sides... on the sides the screen is usually higher than edge of the case..with luck you can find a case that is flush, meaning any falls that land on the front sides and your screen is cracked.

I know this is design because of the curved screen, blah blah, and the edge apps, blah blah...

I remember years ago looking on ebay for an s6 edge and what stuck out were all the damaged phones with impact cracks on the curved edges...

I use my note9 a lot at work while walking in hallways etc...so thats my worry..

I think otterbox made a good one for the note8 that protected all screen sides but now not so for the note9...plus those things are crazy expensive...(and yes dont start with bay 60$ to protect your 1000$ phone is nothing...the point is there are no alternatives).

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
i discovered that it is almost impossible to find a case that protects the edges of the screen well... sure all of them come with a bottom and top lip but the lip does not exist on the sides... on the sides the screen is usually higher than edge of the case..with luck you can find a case that is flush, meaning any falls that land on the front sides and your screen is cracked.

I know this is design because of the curved screen, blah blah, and the edge apps, blah blah...

I remember years ago looking on ebay for an s6 edge and what stuck out were all the damaged phones with impact cracks on the curved edges...

I use my note9 a lot at work while walking in hallways etc...so thats my worry..

I think otterbox made a good one for the note8 that protected all screen sides but now not so for the note9...plus those things are crazy expensive...(and yes dont start with bay 60$ to protect your 1000$ phone is nothing...the point is there are no alternatives).

I have found that Speck cases are slightly higher on the sides than the screen. Whether it truly makes a significant difference, I don't know. But it makes me feel a bit better.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

I can think of two Otterbox alternatives, Supcase and Armadillotek.
I've seen other full coverage cases on Amazon, but are not familiar with their quality.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I can think of two Otterbox alternatives, Supcase and Armadillotek.
I've seen other full coverage cases on Amazon, but are not familiar with their quality.
Agreed, it's not pretty, but I've always run the Supcase/iBlason Unicorn Beetle Pro case and it affords excellent edge coverage as well as end coverage. I've dropped my Note 7, Galaxy S7 Active and Note 8 while housed in these cases and never had an issue so, of course my Note 9 is in one!

scott2ya

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Apps edge- create apps pair. For instance open calculator and banking app in multi mode.

One hand operation +

Spen-use as a remote for taking selfies.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I've discovered that this is the most difficult smartphone I've used to press and hold something. The screen moves under my finger. It usually takes three or four tries to get this simple task done.

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Like when trying to move icons around, but pressing and holding the icon.
Like when trying to delete and an icon or uninstall an app, by pressing and holding the icon.
Like when trying to access the shortcut popup menu, but pressing and holding the icon.
Etcetera, etcetera...

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Like when trying to move icons around, but pressing and holding the icon.
Like when trying to delete and an icon or uninstall an app, by pressing and holding the icon.
Like when trying to access the shortcut popup menu, but pressing and holding the icon.
Etcetera, etcetera...
Wow, I find it just the opposite - I press the Icon with my thumb (if the phone is in one hand) for about a second and a menu opens. That will take care of deleting, uninstalling, etc. OR press and once the Menu opens, do not release, just slide wherever you want the Icon to go and it goes, then let go and it stays there! If working with two hands, I do the same thing, only with my index finger, which I find easier! (Hold phone left hand - right index finger to key)

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I find it just the opposite - I press the Icon with my thumb (if the phone is in one hand) for about a second and a menu opens. That will take care of deleting, uninstalling, etc. OR press and once the Menu opens, do not release, just slide wherever you want the Icon to go and it goes, then let go and it stays there! If working with two hands, I do the same thing, only with my index finger, which I find easier! (Hold phone left hand - right index finger to key)

Huh...
Maybe a conflict with Nova launcher.
Thanks, for the tips. I'll give them a whirl.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay